Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-10, 06:01 AM  
sherry7899

I do the same thing as Helen-use a scrunchie. Tight ponytails give me a headache.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 06:57 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

I have hair beyond my shoulders and layers that are somewhat short in the front. I do a ponytail and, if necessary, clips. I guess I don't really care if my hair gets damaged? I don't even know that it is getting damaged by this routine. Oh, and I don't have thick hair, but I have a lot of it, so it often takes about 2-3 hair elastics to keep it from slipping down. I've tried headbands for the front strays, but they don't stay put unless I pin/clip them -- and then I might as well just use clips. When I'm not working out, I wear my hair down or in ponytails or buns. I don't wear braids -- for some reason they make me look like a kid.
Old 07-01-10, 07:18 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jo View Post
I could have written this! I pull my hair through to make it like a bun. I just part the pony tail at the base and pull the tail through. I can lie flat on the floor with no problem on the floor. I also use a sweat band for the bangs and because I sweat lot and can't stand it in my eyes!
I do have to vary the location of the pony/bun so that it doesn't get in the way of floorwork--usually it's high on the back of my head, which also pulls as many of the shorter front pieces into it as possible.

When not working out, I wear my hair down most of the time. No offense to anyone, but I've never understood this: why keep your hair long if you are just going to pull it back all the time?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 07:33 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
When not working out, I wear my hair down most of the time. No offense to anyone, but I've never understood this: why keep your hair long if you are just going to pull it back all the time?
LOL! I was actually thinking after reading Helen S.'s and other posts that another thing I need to do is let my hair down (and keep it down) more often. My hair looks way better when I wear it down, and yet I seem to have a reflex that grabs a clip and puts it up! Of course, summer in Atlanta is a hard time to change that habit.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 07:37 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Ace, I can definitely understand wearing it up in summer when it is really hot (which I do myself).

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-01-10, 07:39 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Really? I think about it in the reverse way: if I have short hair, I can't pull it up, so in order to wear my hair up, I need to have longer hair. I do wear my long hair down too. But when it's short, I only have the option of wearing it down.
Old 07-01-10, 07:45 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs View Post
Really? I think about it in the reverse way: if I have short hair, I can't pull it up, so in order to wear my hair up, I need to have longer hair. I do wear my long hair down too. But when it's short, I only have the option of wearing it down.
Well, that's a good point! But you said you wear your hair down too; I know some women with long hair who never seem to wear it down.

Anyway, I was just curious--sorry to get OT!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-01-10, 07:50 AM  
cherimac

I have thick hair. So, I use a headband to push the stands back and then a pony tail with a softer band. Since I'm not pulling it all back tightly I find it to be gentler on my hair.
Old 07-01-10, 08:03 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

I have the standard middle aged ladies haircut (at least for around here where we all seem to sport the same thing) - just below the shoulders, all one length, bangs. I pull it back with a scrunchie and use a sweatband as a headband. Fairly unattractive, but functional.

However, if I'm running or on my bike, I need a more heavy duty solution so I do use an elastic coated rubber band and clips. I do see damage from this (lots of broken strands of hair) but you know, it's a trade off. I can't stand to have it in my eyes or on my neck.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 08:43 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

When my hair was past my shoulders I would put it in pigtails and then either pin up the tails or secure them into another hair elastic to make 2 nubs. I like air at the back of my head; it keeps me so much cooler, plus if I lie down I am not laying on a ponytail bump.

I had short hair once 10 years ago, thinking it was cooler - until the first time I got sweaty and couldn't get it off my neck!!

Toaster - I have a close friend who wears her hair shoulder length and ALWAYS has it in a bun. I agree with you - why have longer hair if you always have it up??

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, long hair