Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-10, 07:29 PM  
acescholar

Question How do you manage your long hair when you work out?

I have below the shoulder length hair, and for years I've been putting it in a pony tail while I work out -- with clips all over to hold strays in place!

I can see that this method is taking a toll on my locks! I use elastic bands, and I've even tried the more gentle ones. But, if the band is too gentle, my pony tail comes out and I have to wrap it tightly, thus defeating the purpose of the gentle band!

Any good ideas for keeping hair out of one's face when working out? My hair isn't super thick, but it's not thin either. I do have to contain it somehow --even with a pony tail sometimes I whip myself in the face!

TIA -- I'll probably read most of your responses tomorrow morning!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 07:35 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I have shoulder length hair.... for years I did nothing and just let it be in my face. Finally got sick of that. Sometimes pony tail, sometimes I use a hair band to just keep it out of my face.... that's probably better for it than a pony tail holder.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 07:35 PM  
rriggs

I feel your pain. I love my long hair but hate dealing with it when I am working out and in the heat. I usually pull mine back in a ponytail too and use these ponytail holders made out of panty hose material. Sometimes I wear a hat too if I am exercising outdoors or I might french braid it for something different. :-) I haven't noticed any damage from wearing ponytails all of the time thank goodness.
rriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 07:37 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

My hair is down to my waist now. I just wear a ponytail. But it's never the rubberband kind. Since I only have it on when I work out, I don't think it's doing too much damage.
Old 06-30-10, 07:52 PM  
Arielle96

I have a scrunchie that I use...I don't wear it outside the house through...it's my workout scrunchie. I have to wash it every so often as it starts to smell REALLY bad.
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 07:55 PM  
adrien_73

My hair is almost down to my butt and very thin. I have to use elastic holders because the softer ones slide out. My hair is definitely damaged from them, but nothing else works. I thought about a hat, but during high impact I think it would fall off.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 07:59 PM  
EllieE

If I'm doing lots of floor work, I use a two lowhanging pigtail option, like Cathe in her Imax 2 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLxay...yer_embedded#!

Or a high ponytail- but I use a fabric covered ponytail holder, but it's a silky fabric, not a cotteny one.

Or a french braid with a hair tie that loops the french braid around off the name of my neck.

Something I used to do when I ran was braiding- four to six french braids (or cornrows) into two pigtails or one ponytail. The braiding makes the hair shorter and the ponytail holder stay longer.

If I have bangs or am growing out bangs I use barettes for the front.

I hate hate hate having hair in my face.

If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
EllieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 08:02 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

acescholar - I recommend a braid or braids. There is a Klutz Book of Braids if you need instructions. The most athletic braid is a Dutch braid, which is a reverse French braid. It realy stays put. Think of Tracie Long in The Hare. Or try two "Pocahantas" style braids.

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 08:30 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

My hair is fine, so I need elastics with some grip to them to keep them in. However, Scuni, Goody, and Conair all make "hair-friendly" ones that are supposed to be designed not to cause damage--I think the Scuni ones are even called "no damage"!

Right now, my hair is just shoulder length, but when it is longer, I will sometimes loop the ponytail back through the elastic (sort of like a bun?) which makes it tighter without tightening the elastic, if that makes sense. I usually use clips to keep strays out of my face as well, but another option is the good old-fashioned sweat band! After doing up your pony, you can just put one on (I kind of wear it more like a headband) to catch any strays--it would probably be more gentle on your hair than a clip or barrette.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 08:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
acescholar - I recommend a braid or braids. There is a Klutz Book of Braids if you need instructions. The most athletic braid is a Dutch braid, which is a reverse French braid. It realy stays put. Think of Tracie Long in The Hare. Or try two "Pocahantas" style braids.

Cynthia
Cynthia, I just had to laugh at this--maybe this would work for the OP, but braids do not stay in my fine, thin hair AT ALL! I will do a braid occasionally just for fun, but even if I do one while my hair is still wet & plaster it with hair products, it's still falling out by the end of the day; there's no way that it would stay through a workout!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, long hair