Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-22, 01:17 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Two more clunkers for me: the Fusion Sculpt (one glider and light weights) and the Release stretch. Both of which I really wanted to like but absolutely did not!

First, I only have the old Cathe plastic glider, which using a shoe is awesome on carpet. But using barefoot is horrible. Hurts the bottom on the ball of foot (and it still hurts hours later!) and is utterly awkward. I think you'd have to use the slider she's using on a noncarpeted floor to do this one. Beyond that, it was the old "do it to one side, repeat other side," and when you don't like the move on one side, having to do it again on the other is really dread-inducing.

This one was slow, repetitive, and just plain boring. The moves weren't creative and it really lacked any sort of fusion-y workout feeling; I guess I really only like my fusion workouts to feel fusion-y, if that makes sense. This one certainly did not. I really only kept with it because of the scenery. I don't think I'll be doing this one again until the dead of winter next year, and I previewed the other fusion ones and really didn't want to try them anytime soon (planks? in a fusion workout? no thanks). (I think she seems bored too, she said "just four more!" a lot, along with a lot of counting down in this one.)

Second, the Release stretch with the towel didn't really stretch the main muscle groups like I wanted. It felt awkward and I really didn't like a lot of the moves because I have a bad knee. Honestly, I Joni-O'ed it and did a CS floor stretch instead.

I think at this point these will only make an appearance in my winter sunshine workouts rotation, and that's solely because of the scenery.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 01:20 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Today I did the Total Body 31 minute workout and liked it! The length was perfect, but I did skip a 2nd set of plank/twist work (on the floor) that I found unnecessary. I used 8 lbs. for my heavier weight and 3 lbs. for my light ones which worked well. Through the majority of the exercise (using heavier weight) there are no compound moves, unless you count lifting back leg (practicing balance) at the same time as deadlift or row moves. She does do some compound exercises with the light weights towards end, but not anything that would be annoying. I liked the choice of exercise and some of these were in Lift and Shift, as well. When she says that "you're not doing an upright row here" you will recognize the exercise, as you keep your elbows up and pointing back with rowing targeting shoulder blade/back muscles. I can't remember the music during the workout (I was so busy concentrating) until we switched to lighter weights. I liked the "oh, oh, oh" song, but can't remember the lyrics. Has a slight Coldplay similarity to me. Again, love the bright set, Jessica's pace, and the exercises that we did....for the most part. I could skip plank work every day and all the time, but shouldn't do so. But, there's very little here...and I will do the circuit one time through...maybe. Favorite exercise are always squats, deadlifts, and most rows. Every body part is covered here...even chest work, too!
I don't normally quote entire posts but I made an exception because I did this workout today.

My heavy were 10, light 5. I could go heavier for both, we'll see how I feel tomorrow.
exercises include:

Heavy weights:
row w/one leg forward, one back
deadlift, or dl w rear leg lift
wide squat w/arms lowered in front of you - I don't recall if it's 3 or 2 down, 1 up, but whatever it is, you'll then change on the next set so 1 down, 2 or 3 up

chest press 1.5 , chest press at a different tempo
side plank on elbow, twist, hip lift

light weights:
bicep curl L, side leg raise R , other side
shoulder press, then calf raise (you don't raise and press at the same time, which is what I kept doing for some reason)
triceps kickback w/rear leg lift, switch
"not an upright row" move (haha! what is it called, anyway?), holding a lunge or moving, my legs were feeling it! *Now that I think about it, I don't know if the lunge is with this move or w/triceps.

I think you do 10 reps of everything. She doesn't move at a super fast speed but she does move from one exercise to the next. I didn't want to change my weights but I don't think there would have been enough time to do it. I'm going to try next time just to find out and will report back.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 06:10 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Just a heads up for anyone else planning to return any of these, Amazon only refunds half for opened DVDs. Wish I would have known that before I returned them.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 09:12 PM  
bjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Just a heads up for anyone else planning to return any of these, Amazon only refunds half for opened DVDs. Wish I would have known that before I returned them.
Good to know. Since I ordered the bundle/bonus stretch I don't think I could get a refund for the stretch DVD anyway. Thats actually the main one I'd want to return.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 09:17 PM  
bjones

Today I did the TB Circuit 48 minutes. I thought it would be similar to the TB Strength 48 but it really was different. I had to use lighter weights, and found myself short of breath because of the "4 limbed aerobic" weight lifting. In fact it kind of reminded me of the old Firms. I didn't like it as well as the TB strength one, but it was a workout for sure. She lifts slow to start then goes at a much faster pace which elevates the heart rate. I needed more time to change between exercises, like going to the floor and back up, etc. so I had to pause a lot which I don't like to do. So it took more like an hour for me to do it and that was too long. I'm going to try the shorter circuit and shorter TB strength ones next.
I tried the "Relax" stretch again which is the only one I found even remotely good. Thought it might grow on me. I guess its ok, the only one I would do though. I will say it is extremely relaxing and the music is great.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 07:13 AM  
Rhonda

Reading through these reviews I am not all that excited about opening my DVDs. I have only done the walking one and like the steady walk better than the fast walk.

and I Joni'OD the fusion workout. I was bored and just didn't want to continue and haven't opened any of the other DVDs. Not sure if I will. May just sell them, since I think I am over my time frame of returning to Amazon and if only getting 1/2 back when opened, not worth it to me.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 08:38 AM  
Floren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Reading through these reviews I am not all that excited about opening my DVDs. I have only done the walking one and like the steady walk better than the fast walk.

and I Joni'OD the fusion workout. I was bored and just didn't want to continue and haven't opened any of the other DVDs. Not sure if I will. May just sell them, since I think I am over my time frame of returning to Amazon and if only getting 1/2 back when opened, not worth it to me.
From some of the comments, it sounds like the weight workouts are the best ones of this series (and maybe not so much the walking and fusion flow workout that you tried.)

I'm looking forward to trying more of the weight workouts when I'm done with my current rotation this week.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 08:52 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
BTW, just wanted to let everyone know I updated the Jessica Smith workout compendium (lists all of her workouts, length, equipment needed, etc) and the download link is:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/feyhd...61rwg20loibezp
Thank You !!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 09:33 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
and I Joni'OD the fusion workout.
I'm really glad to know that I'm not the only one! As much as I love Jessica's other fusion workouts, this was so utterly boring and uninspired. And my feet still hurt today from using my hard plastic Cathe gliders on carpet! I even had to ice them last night!

Honestly, if it weren't for the sunny scenery I'd be asking for a refund on the digital bundle. And that's from someone who has loved Jessica for *years* and has literally every workout she's done. Not her best work, IMHO.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 11:08 AM  
donnamp

I haven't done the split workouts yet, but plan to - at some point...but, in order of my favorites:

Circuit & Total Body Strength - tied - I really like these and I'm not a "strength" person, more of a 'cardio' person. But I really liked the pacing of these and I liked that she focused quite a bit on the core and posture muscles

Fusion - It is not my favorite of Jessica's fusion workouts - but I liked it well enough and would do it again. I haven't done the floorwork practice yet and I did not use gliders for the workout the required you to use 2 glider. I got some cheap gliders from CVS a long time ago. They worked ok on carpet and I did enjoy using them in the first workout on the DVD.

Cardio - the scenery was nice, I liked the music in the steady walk, I think my gripes with this one are - it is a little too long, boring and repetitive. I wish there were mile markers or chapters b/c I think I would get more use out of this one as an "add on" -than a full length workout.

Stretch DVD - just nothing new here and I generally prefer Yoga and CS/Eccentrics

Not tried yet - Split workouts....I have a dread of split workouts - and particularly a 48 min leg workout!

This is not a bad set, but the hype surrounding it was overdone and that is probably b/c we just don't get many new releases these days!!

And I think we all have short attention spans w/ all the streaming options out there - including free ones!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, strong + centered, strong + centered reviews, strong+centered series