Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-23, 05:46 PM  
Diana2468

Cutting back on steady state cardio-anyone done this?

Hi all,

As I’m getting older, I am noticing more and more that I just don’t feel great after I do cardio workouts. For a long time, I have stuck to doing at least 2.5 hours of cardio exercise per week, which is usually a combo of walking on the treadmill and walking with Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith. But recently I have found myself much more drawn to barre/Pilates/yoga fusion, like Ellen Barrett. I’m pretty happy to do an Ellen workout just about every day and skip steady state cardio entirely. When I workout with Ellen, my heartrate goes up a bit, and I love the combination of stretching and strength training. The problem is that I feel weirdly guilty for not doing cardio workouts. I am curious to hear other peoples experience with this…. Did you notice cardio got more tiring and had more of a dread factor as you got older? Has anyone transitioned to doing mostly Ellen/yoga/classical stretch type workouts and how has that gone for you? I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks so much.
Diana2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-23, 06:35 PM  
star117

Yes, I have too. I still do low impact and Leslie and Jessica walks. I have a lot of Fusion and yoga workouts that I need to work into my schedule.
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-23, 07:07 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I've cut back because of foot problems. I do have a recumbent bicycle, but it's boring. I'm still trying to figure out the right balance to maintain heart health. My suggestion would be to cut back, but don't eliminate it completely.
Old 02-14-23, 08:13 PM  
prettyinpink

I think that regardless of what we call it or how strenuously it’s done, we should keep walking regularly for as long as we can, until we absolutely can’t anymore.

I’ve come to think of walking as one of those essential human movements, and that we should do it regularly. I don’t think i absolutely have to do cardio in small spaces (like Leslie) in the house or in machines in the gym, but I do need to keep walking, somehow, whatever else I do for exercise.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 07:37 AM  
Rhonda

I have gotten in more Barre/Pilates this year and during the week I do small bouts of cardio. When working at home I will go downstairs or outside (if nice) and walk around for 10-15 minutes then back to work.

When at work I make sure I get up at least once an hour or hour and half and walk. If I sit too long, my body doesn't feel good.

Weekends are different as I will do an hour or more of walking but during the week I go with the flow.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 08:03 AM  
sbh

I have also cut back on cardio workouts. My cardio these days consist of walking the dog, housework, and gardening. Once I hit 60, cardio was making me feel tired and hungry all the time.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 10:23 AM  
Schnauzeritis

I'm 61 and adore steady state cardio. I hope that I can continue enjoying steady state cardio until I die. That's my plan.
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 10:46 AM  
Gams

I’m with Schnauzeritis. I do as much cardio a day as I can - at least 2 hours. Nothing strenuous - mostly Leslie, Jessica and other low impact workouts. I just think it’s good to keep moving and between my exercising and following the Mediterranean diet, I think it’s been good for me physically and mentally.

And if Schnauzeritis’ username means she likes dogs, we have that in common as well! 😊
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 10:53 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzeritis View Post
I'm 61 and adore steady state cardio. I hope that I can continue enjoying steady state cardio until I die. That's my plan.
I do, too...it's the HIIT-style cardio I can't deal with anymore!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 11:16 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I rarely do long steady state cardio at a sweaty pace. In the winter I've been doing indoor walks, but just yesterday I did a 15-minute section from an old Cathe step workout. I wanted to increase the intensity a bit, without overdoing. 15 minutes was enough for a good afternoon energy boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think that regardless of what we call it or how strenuously it’s done, we should keep walking regularly for as long as we can, until we absolutely can’t anymore.

I’ve come to think of walking as one of those essential human movements, and that we should do it regularly. I don’t think i absolutely have to do cardio in small spaces (like Leslie) in the house or in machines in the gym, but I do need to keep walking, somehow, whatever else I do for exercise.
My 93-year-old mother is now in assisted living. She was always athletic, active into her 80's. She has a walker, and although she can't go out alone, she tries to walk the hallways. She's frustrated at her limitations and frequently reminds me to "keep walking". I don't need the reminders because I enjoy being active, but what I don't tell her is she is my inspiration to keep moving. I told her she should try to start a walking group, but too many women of her generation were never into exercise, and aren't interested.

Tags
cardio, cutting back, ellen barrett, steady state cardio, steady state results, yoga only