Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-21, 11:50 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Tbh, I’m no expert on the subject. I was just repeating what I learned from two doctors. One from the podcast I mentioned (Dr. Sydney McElroy) and Dr. Scott Gottlieb.

I did read an article in the National Geographic about the Chinese scientist who has been researching the bats for years. She said there are thousands of viruses in the bats, and about 30 that could jump to humans. She said it was crucial that we monitor our meat supply.
I don’t know for sure, either!

More bat viruses. Oh, that’s horrifying to think about.
Old 04-26-21, 12:19 PM  
DCW

A co-worker who is now maybe 66 or 68 got polio as a child because she was never vaccinated. She had the same side effects as FDR.

It was an eye opening moment for me.
Old 04-26-21, 01:57 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
... More bat viruses. Oh, that’s horrifying to think about.
There is a film from 2011 called Contagion starring Gwyneth Paltrow. It shows a pandemic coming from a bat virus transferred to pigs. This film was very prescient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
A co-worker who is now maybe 66 or 68 got polio as a child because she was never vaccinated. She had the same side effects as FDR.
It was an eye opening moment for me.
I like TV horror host Joe Bob Briggs (real name John Bloom). He usually sits in a chair to host. They ran a film he had guest-starred in where he had a pronounced limp. I thought it was a character attribute. It turns out he'd had polio as a child and was left with a permanent limp. He is only a few years older than I.

Here is a list of famous polio survivors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sion_and_radio

I was lucky to be born after the Polio vaccine came out.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-26-21, 02:07 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Here is a list of famous polio survivors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sion_and_radio
Apparently Joni Mitchell was a polio survivor. I never knew that.

"Musician, songwriter and painter. Mitchell started singing at age nine while in the hospital recovering from polio.[98] Her distinctive sound featured dozens of non-standard guitar tunings, which she developed partly to compensate for a weakened arm.[99][100]"

Quote from wikipedia link above.
Old 04-26-21, 05:23 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
For me, I will NEVER feel the same about people in general. Lack of faith in the innate goodness of others will be my new normal.
Ditto.
But this feeling started even before covid for me because of politics and the loss of civility.
Old 04-26-21, 05:25 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl-01 View Post
it's hard for me to ever go back to normal or have faith in people again.

my husband is american born chinese and i'm caucasian. we have suffered greatly with asian hate and attacks. my husband got a conceal carry license and now carries a gun to protect himself or us (this hurt us so much since we have always been anti-gun and even vote based on that position).

we live in an affluent area of south florida most of my neighbors are doctors, lawyers, and professional athletes - it is shocking to me that this hate has been directed towards us and it didn't just start with covid it started the first month we lived here. covid just made it worse and MAGA people have been flocking here ever since Trump won.
Schoolgirl

I am sorry to hear that your husband is having problems with ignorant people but I really have to ask what MAGA people have anything to do with the treatment of your husband. I am a proud deplorable and I am NOT racist and most Trump supporters are not either. You lumping "MAGA people" in this racist category is also ignorant. You talk about the hate that your husband faces each day which is disgusting but yet in your same post you spout hate about people that you know nothing about. You call us all racists...maybe you need to educate yourself. Are all priests molestors? Are all cops bad? NO.

I hope things change for your husband as NO one deserves to be treated that way...even Trump supporters.....
Old 04-26-21, 05:27 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
At the risk of being an outcast and starting an argument, isn't judging and hating on people who choose not to receive a new vaccine with unknown long-term effects just as bad as being judged for choosing TO receive it? Both sides of the political and pandemic debates seem to think only the "other side" is being judgmental and polarizing but the truth is that from everything I have seen, both sides bear some responsibility. We are all just people trying our best to live our lives and do the best we can for ourselves and our loved ones with the information available. I don't know people's circumstances, history, experiences or beliefs so how can I judge them for their choices?

I have more thoughts but I will stop here. I just don't understand why we as a society can't agree to disagree and respect our differences. Our country is broken and hate won't fix anything.

I don't intend to post again on this thread so please don't take it personally if I don't respond to anyone. I hate conflict and usually avoid controversy when I can but sometimes I just have to speak up.
thank you!
Old 04-26-21, 05:32 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

I also think that extremists are controlling the narratives of the right. The conservatives currently in charge are extremists who want to stay in power. People need to acknowledge that is actually happening, and take steps to change it. Only then will things get better.
You mean the liberal democrat that is in office right now? the one NOT protecting our border and letting in illegal aliens that have COVID 19? LOL I could go on but you just keep your head in the sand because you don't want to see the truth of what is really going on.....
Old 04-26-21, 05:43 PM  
sherry7899

Neil Young had polio as a child also.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 04-26-21, 05:43 PM  
TinaT

pgun3 & Vantreesta ~ Thank you for your perspective. You both shared some of what I was thinking.

The word "normal" has different definitions for each of us. Based on where our lives have gone and what we've been through, brings us to making decisions based on that. Everything from to mask or not, to get vaccinated or not and the list goes on.

But with all our different definitions of "normal" can we not be kind to one another? I don't care if you get the shot or not. I really don't. I don't care if you wear a mask. I don't care who you voted for. I will treat you with respect and kindness provided you do the same.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, pandemic, vf love