Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-21, 11:13 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

A year of dehydration...

Over the past year, I have dreaded using any public restrooms. Some of the places we have had to go won't let you use the bathrooms anyway. DH does have a truck camper that has a little bathroom and we have taken that a few places. It is too tall to go in to most parking structures and too big for many parking lots.

Our dentist is about an hour and a half away on one of the worst freeways in the world. I've had to have (too many) appointments there recently. So, I don't drink anything all day so as not to have to need a bathroom on the trip. On the days before and after, I tank up on water.

I've had my shots and DH get his first today. I am not petrified of using a restroom anymore. I still double-mask when I have to go to offices, etc. Of course, everything isn't open here, so I still have to consider my fluid intake when going anywhere.

Who ever knew that would be an issue?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 12:35 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I can relate to this. I live fairly far away from everything and used to rely heavily on public restrooms. The only reason I haven't had to this last year is that I stayed home for almost a whole year!!! I haven't been in a Safeway for well over a year.....
Old 04-02-21, 12:44 PM  
Vantreesta

I won't dehydrate myself on purpose, but I'm willing to use a bush if necessary!

Last April when I drove from MN to AZ to be with my family when my mom passed, I knew bathrooms could be an issue. I was also traveling that distance alone for the first time and with my dog (who is super protective and made me feel very safe and my hubby much more willing to agree to my driving alone!). I had no idea what would be open along the way and I was not risking not being able to get water so I filled 4 bottles for myself and I always fill a jug for him on that trip. I finished all my water and then some while I was on the road. Thankfully I only ran into bathroom availability a few times. One was in I think OK, but the next gas station had them open so I was okay. When I got to NM it was situation critical!! I took the wrong exit at Gallup instead of the one I wanted, which is much nicer. Instead I was in the busy heart of everything. I stopped to get gas but that one was so busy and had no place to pull ahead and park so I filled up and went searching for a place for Cyric and I to relieve ourselves. I got to another station where I could park and I took him out first, got him back in the 4Runner and went inside for myself. No luck. I went to four or five stations before I finally found an open bathroom and of course it had a line! I had to go so bad by then all I could do was pray people were quick about it! I honestly had been looking for a place to stop along the road but if you've been to NM you know that is not easy to find! Anyway, I vowed to never stop in Gallup again and on the way home I went a different route that involved driving through the Salt River Canyon. Gulp!! I was a nervous wreck by the time we hit the next town so we just stopped there for a while, walked around, ate some food, spent some time texting. Finally I was calm enough to drive again.

Wow, sorry for the book! All of that to say, yeah, never thought we'd have to worry about having open bathrooms!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 04:46 PM  
kat999

Yeah, I've been not drinking as much when I go running on a local multi-use trail, because the bathrooms have been closed (and I don't know that I'd want to use them even if they weren't). The only thing my husband and I have been doing during COVID that's "medium risk" is occasionally going to a bar that has extensive outdoor seating, but then you do have to go to the rest room inside. That has made me nervous a few times.
Old 04-02-21, 05:48 PM  
Pam

I live in a rural area, so when I go to the city to do errands, it’s generally an all day project. A large regional library that is generally a stop, has bathrooms on the second floor that aren’t easy seen and aren’t used much, so I feel those are safer to use. Also there are 3 small independent thrift stores that don’t get many customers, so I stopped in for a fast checkout of DVDs 😊 and use the restrooms. I avoid the commonly used large ones in Costco, etc.
Old 04-02-21, 06:30 PM  
prettyinpink

Not for a year, but I definitely felt that way the first few months. I imagine if I were at a higher risk level, I would still feel nervous about it and try to avoid.

There are so many big and small things that will improve with vaccination. I didn’t think about this being one of them, but hooray for any steps toward normalcy!
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, dehydration, pandemic