Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-21, 09:51 PM  
alisoncooks

How loud is a Concept 2?

I keep bouncing back and forth between wanting an exercise bike or a Concept 2 rower. My main concern about a rowing machine is how loud it might be. I live in a small, thin-walled home, and I exercise while everyone is still asleep.

So…how loud is it? I’ve found some things online, but I trust VFers’ opinion.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 10:26 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I don't know the answer to your question, but is there any way you can get to a high end sports equipment store and try one out. They are so much money, I'd think try before you buy is a good idea, even if you have to travel some distance.

The other thing to consider is if you like cycling generally. If you do, that's your answer.
Old 12-10-21, 11:11 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

My Concept 2 is loudest of all of the cardio equipment I've had. Bike, elliptical, ski machine. C2 tops the list for noise.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 12:11 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I wanted to add that I was in Best Buy a few weeks back and they had an ultra modern looking rowing machine. It was like a piece of sculpture, so there might be something newer out there other than a Concept 2. It's worth looking into.
Old 12-10-21, 12:15 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I wanted to add that I was in Best Buy a few weeks back and they had an ultra modern looking rowing machine. It was like a piece of sculpture, so there might be something newer out there other than a Concept 2. It's worth looking into.
Maybe a Hydrow. I think BB carries those. I’d be interested in that, but the subscription is like $40/month and the initial purchase is TWICE that of a C2! (And here I was balking at shelling out for the Concept2!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 12:19 PM  
rhbrand

Louder than my Peloton spin bike and my elliptical.
Quieter by far, than my treadmill.
Old 12-10-21, 03:03 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I wanted to purchase a Concept 2 in 2020 but it was on backorder for months due to the pandemic. My husband "had" to have a rower so I contacted a fitness supply store and ending up purchasing a Body Craft rower. It is a very substantial quality machine BUT the noise it makes is super annoying. You have to plug it in (not sure why-maybe to run the computer?) so it limits where you can set it up which was one reason I wanted to wait for the C2. My husband never uses it so I am aggravated that we purchased it.
On the plus side, I used it when I was recovering from foot surgery last summer. I could not walk for exercise for the first 8 weeks so I used the rower on very low resistance. I also can use it for cardio when the weather is too miserable to walk but I don't like using cardio machines in general.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 03:13 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Maybe a Hydrow. I think BB carries those. I’d be interested in that, but the subscription is like $40/month and the initial purchase is TWICE that of a C2! (And here I was balking at shelling out for the Concept2!)
Yeah we looked into this as well when the C2 was on backorder. The monthly sub is what really made this a "no" for me. You can't use even use the rower without a sub. I know some people on VF love it but it was just too expensive for something we wouldn't use much. And as I mentioned in my previous post we hardly use the one we have. BTW we got the top of the line Body Craft (VR500) and it was about $1800 IIRC after taxes. It does allow you to change the resistance from the handle which in retrospect is very handy but again it is not something we use alot and it is noisy.
https://www.bodycraft.com/shop-rowing/
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 12:54 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Funny, I had never considered my C2 as being noisy but eventually sold it when I moved to the third floor of an apt. building and was worried that the vibrations would be a disturbance to those living below me even though I had always put thick padding under the legs. I so miss it!
Old 12-13-21, 08:10 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I second the advice to try one at a gym before purchasing. I loved my C2 (the sound of it didn't bother me), but I had a ton of trouble with my hip. I even had two different fitness trainers work with me on proper form, but could never overcome the hip pain. I eventually got rid of the C2. (I have the same issue with Romanian deadlifts; I can't hip hinge all the way; the angle between my torso and thigh needs to be 90-degrees or greater.)
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concept 2, rower, rowing machine