Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-28-22, 04:18 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, one of my biggest struggles is that she has that attitude, and there doesn't seem to be any consequence that really matters. Not being able to go to practice might work, and taking away the cell phone that she just got last week probably also would. Anything else--extra chores, missing family movies whatever, just doesn't bother her.

My experiences were probably somewhat different as a first-generation American and having my grandma live with us my whole life, so I'm happy to hear any experiences, advice, suggestions from anyone who's survived having a teen!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 04:20 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Oh, Charlie! Thanks, Pratima, I'll take that as a compliment! I've watched the first 10 seasons in just over a month so far. Started season 11 this week. It's kind of sad, when I get up in the morning almost the first thing I think is ooh, I get to watch Sam and Dean tonight!
Yes, her! And it absolutely is.

I might have to rewatch it too after I get through all 6 seasons of Grimm.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 01-28-22, 04:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Yes, her! And it absolutely is.

I might have to rewatch it too after I get through all 6 seasons of Grimm.
I've been wanting to rewatch Grimm again too. And Haven and Sleepy Hollow. But at least I won't have to do it at the rate I've had to watch Supernatural since all but 5 seasons of that have been on the DVR. One day I watched 14 episodes!!

And I'm very glad it wasn't Rowena I remind you of!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 09:41 PM  
Vantreesta

Hi, guys. Friday I did day 7 of the Human 2.0 movement and Lauren's squat challenges, Caroline's glute activation workout, a 10 min stepper workout, Aztec Athletics 5 Min upper back band workout and day 5 of Yoga With Bird 30 day challenge. Nothing yesterday or today. The weather has been really nice here this wknd. Our afternoon walk today was perfect at 20 degrees, no wind and partly cloudy.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 01-31-22, 12:35 PM  
Daphne M

Pratima - The teen years are tough. You're smart to reach out to talk to parents going through it and who have been through it recently. I took a lot of comfort from learning that my kids' behavior might be keeping me awake at night and fueling all kinds of drama at home, but every other parent was suffering too. Even the parents with angels for kids always had a little devil right behind them.

Eek, just looked at the clock.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-22, 09:11 PM  
Vantreesta

Finished season 11 of Supernatural tonight!

Old 02-01-22, 09:38 AM  
Vantreesta

I felt all out of sorts and at loose ends yesterday. My great aunt passed away on Friday and I was making plans to go back for her funeral, then spent a couple days debating bc of a big predicted snowstorm there and then decided it was better to stay home, but then I just couldn't get back into a "normal" Monday. I finally tore the shrinkwrap off Denise Austin Burn Fat Fast Latin Dance. Not the best choice for the day since I was irritable. Usually I don't let her silly comments get to me but she annoyed me yesterday. The workout was fine and I finished it but wished I had chosen Zumba or Leslie. Then I did Rodney Yee Yoga for Energy & Relaxation. I chose the bonus Soothe & Stretch section but was disappointed that it was almost all forward bends, which I really shouldn't be doing much of bc of my hamstring tendons so I had to basically modify the whole thing, which was not the relaxing grounding practice I was looking for. I know I could have switched workouts but I didn't have the mental energy so just went with it. I think what I did still did help some and it was movement anyway so that was good.

Now that I know I won't be gone the end of this week I need to do what I meant to do over the weekend and set up a training schedule for snowshoeing.

Old 02-02-22, 11:01 AM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday I did Human 2.0 Fitness -MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 8, FemFusion Strong Center Line At-Home Kegel Camp, Day 6, C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, L. Brooks 21-Day Squat Challenge warmup + day 8, and Yoga With Bird -Everyday Morning Yoga Stretch to Feel Your Best | 30 Day Yoga Challenge 2022 | DAY 6.

Old 02-02-22, 12:48 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, Rowena grew on me too! By the end I actually liked her. I confess--I'm partially rewatching Grimm because the guy who plays Renard (the captain) is tall and muscular and appealing to me right now. Of course I do also love the twisted fairy tales in it!

You do sound like you're trying to do a lot. Are you picking certain types of workouts (e.g. three strength and three cardio) or just winging it? I go back and forth between schedule routines (like now, with the Lindsay Brin series and training for the 10K) and just doing whatever. Where is your great aunt's funeral?

Daphne, you are right--talking to other parents does make me feel better. DD probably isn't THAT bad but so different from say, her 8 year old self. I should probably turn off notifications from the school app. I see her grades all week long and it freaks me out! Every little assignment, ugh.

Yesterday was crazy and I did it to myself. Mondays are always busy because DH works and I have to do school dropoff and pickup and take DS to taekwondo and then pick DD up from the gym. Yesterday DD got out at 1145. I had set up a private coaching session for her (very first time) at the gym at 2 and had to get DS at 3. Got him a little late and then headed home to do two virtual conferences with her teacher (both confirmed she's adjusting fine to the new school).

I had gotten up at 430 AM to run 5 miles at 5 so I should have gone to bed early but instead did some revenge procrastination, which meant watching two episodes of Grimm and going to bed around 10:45. Still managed to get up and do 15 minutes of rowing and Fierce 4 Phase 2 Lower Body.

I'm really enjoying the Fierce 4 workouts AND these runs, even really early. The Sedona 10K is Saturday and I'm thinking of doing a 15K on March. It's supposed to be about 35 degrees for the race this weekend so I want to see how I feel after that!

I'm having one of those times where training and fitting in workouts is good rather than drudgery even though I'm so busy with kid stuff. Know what I mean?

Old 02-02-22, 12:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Pratima, I like Rowena's accent but still not liking her too much. Funny, the guy who plays Renard was on FBI International last night! He has never really appealed to me. Now I can daydream about Dean Winchester all day long!

Part of my problem has always been an inability to prioritize (in life in general) and with the forum I also see what others are doing and think oh yeah, I wanna do those again too! I guess I'm like a squirrel with shiny things!

I'm glad you're enjoying getting your training in despite the busy-ness of life with work and kids. That's good that your DD is adjusting well to her new school.

My great aunt's funeral is in Indiana.

Tags
curved treadmills