Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-21, 03:46 PM  
Demeris

Foundational Training

I tried to do a search for this because I know it's been discussed here numerous times, BUT we all know how fakakte the search function is.

SO I'd like to know how Foundational Training affected your posture, your aches and pains, but mostly what sort of impact it may have had on your regular workout routine.

Please share the good and the bad. TIA
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-21, 04:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm going to use that word - fakakte. love it.

following the principals from basic physical therapy, i started focusing on making my body into a "column" from the feet all the way to the position of my head. just reminding myself to center my head over my spine has eliminated so much neck and shoulder tension.

we look at our phones and pitch our heads forward - i started holding my phone at eye level and making sure my head is centered over my spine.

this simple reminder to myself, and you have to self-trigger, has really eliminated pain and tension.

my workouts have been pretty much the same - i can do high impact, plyos, tall box, lunges, etc, as before.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 09:48 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i'm going to use that word - fakakte. love it.

I stole it from a friend of mine. Sometimes it's the only word that fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
following the principals from basic physical therapy, i started focusing on making my body into a "column" from the feet all the way to the position of my head. just reminding myself to center my head over my spine has eliminated so much neck and shoulder tension.
These are things I've learned from T-Tapp and Supple Leopard.

I probably don't need the Foundation Training stuff, even though the DVDs look so good, but they're 60$!!!!. The streaming looks good, too, but I can't do streaming.
Old 03-15-21, 10:17 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Re: Foundation Training, I subscribed to the streaming a while back and honestly I came to the realization that I liked the original 12 minute YouTube video the best out of all of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

I think the basic idea of the "founder" is a good move for low back strengthening but in my opinion in the later videos they tried to expand on the program with putting a spin on different moves that they tried to make unique (like a 6 or maybe 8 point plank ) and then gave them corny names. "Sphere of Tension" comes to mind, where all you are doing is putting your hands together. It just felt silly to me.

YMMV, but that was my experience. I would recommend looking at his YouTube offerings first and go from there. I'm sure there are lots of people that subscribe and get a lot out of it, I am just not one of them.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 10:42 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
Re: Foundation Training, I subscribed to the streaming a while back and honestly I came to the realization that I liked the original 12 minute YouTube video the best out of all of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

I think the basic idea of the "founder" is a good move for low back strengthening but in my opinion in the later videos they tried to expand on the program with putting a spin on different moves that they tried to make unique (like a 6 or maybe 8 point plank ) and then gave them corny names. "Sphere of Tension" comes to mind, where all you are doing is putting your hands together. It just felt silly to me.

YMMV, but that was my experience. I would recommend looking at his YouTube offerings first and go from there. I'm sure there are lots of people that subscribe and get a lot out of it, I am just not one of them.
Thank you. Great advice.

I'm ashamed to admit that I never opened up any thread that was about Foundational Training. I was too happy with T-Tapp and Classical Stretch, but the DVDs came up on Amazon, and I thought, 'what new, shiny thing is this that I must have now?'
Old 03-15-21, 10:45 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone for these posts!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 11:21 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
Re: Foundation Training, I subscribed to the streaming a while back and honestly I came to the realization that I liked the original 12 minute YouTube video the best out of all of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI...
I agree! I bought the DVDs and the book was bored out of my mind. The original is best.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 12:52 PM  
Terry

I spent the money on the DVDs to learn what is free on YouTube. I spent the money on both books to finally realize Eric is telling us to keep good straight posture all day, stretch tall through the entire spine from the low back through the neck, and hinge at the hips to bend forward. I never did any of the FT workouts on a daily basis but instead just started focusing on being tall through the spine all day. I haven’t had pain return since.

Note: Actually doing the DVD workouts (or free YouTube) is hard with a dread factor. I want to ask Eric “Are you insane?” when he says, “I hope you enjoyed that.” I enjoy burpees. I enjoy fish-out-of-water breathing due to killer sprints. I enjoy 100 rep workouts. Nothing was more fun in my boot camp class than Death by Sprints or Death by Burpees and maybe even one lap around the outside of the building at top sprinting speed. I found nothing to enjoy about FT workouts.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 01:49 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I spent the money on the DVDs to learn what is free on YouTube. I spent the money on both books to finally realize Eric is telling us to keep good straight posture all day, stretch tall through the entire spine from the low back through the neck, and hinge at the hips to bend forward. I never did any of the FT workouts on a daily basis but instead just started focusing on being tall through the spine all day. I haven’t had pain return since.

Thank you for this. It seems that Foundation Training is basic to T-Tapp, to Pilates, and to almost anything that requires good form. And it's the first few chapters of Supple Leopard.
Old 03-15-21, 06:32 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Note: Actually doing the DVD workouts (or free YouTube) is hard with a dread factor. I want to ask Eric “Are you insane?” when he says, “I hope you enjoyed that.” I enjoy burpees. I enjoy fish-out-of-water breathing due to killer sprints. I enjoy 100 rep workouts. Nothing was more fun in my boot camp class than Death by Sprints or Death by Burpees and maybe even one lap around the outside of the building at top sprinting speed. I found nothing to enjoy about FT workouts.
This saved me some money!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eric goodman, foundation training, posture