Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-21, 10:40 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Honestly, I have never had fatigue like I had with my second Covid vaccine, and shots usually do not bother me. Someone at work observed that the vaccine gets all the skinny people (with major side effects) and leaves the heavier folks alone & apparently there is some research that backs that up - something to do with weight causing your immune system to be suppressed. At least that was our experience among school personnel. Not meaning to be unkind at all - so let me know if I need to delete that.

Carol
I was wondering if body size had anything to do with it, but it doesn't seem to with other vaccines (that I know of).

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 11:09 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I was wondering if body size had anything to do with it, but it doesn't seem to with other vaccines (that I know of).

Erica
I know that with age, your immune system also becomes less effective.

The research that I saw said that even in immune system compromised folks, they felt like there was enough of a response (even among those with few side effects) that they felt like they were protected against the virus. Thank heavens!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 11:11 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

1st Pfizer shot: Zero side effects. My arm was barely sore. I started wondering if they had given me the real deal.

2nd Pfizer shot: Mildly sore arm for less than a day. I had a low-grade fever and was very tired. That only lasted about a day.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 11:27 AM  
Erica H.

I just read this about working out after the vaccine, which I thought was kind of interesting:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...249804418.html

Erica
Old 03-15-21, 12:19 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

For anyone who hasn't gotten yet vaccinated and has a smart phone and feels like contributing their experience, the CDC is collecting data through something called V-safe. I think it's text-based on smart phones but not sure. When my mom got her first (Moderna) dose about a week ago at a county drive-through vaccination site, they were asking people to sign up for v-safe afterwards so that the CDC can collect more data about any reactions or side effects.

Basically, I think v-safe just texts my mom every day (or at least it did at first) to ask her if she had a sore arm, fatigue, fever, etc. I think it was pretty quick for her to click on what symptoms she was having (or that she had no symptoms). Not sure if it sent her a link through text or what. She's not real tech-savvy and has a short attention span when it comes to stuff like this so it must be fairly user friendly and quick.

She had a slightly sore arm the second day after her first dose but that was it. She hasn't received her second dose yet. She's 74.

So for those who have just received a dose, you can learn more about v-safe and register here (if you want) if you have your vaccine card info:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ety/vsafe.html

From the FAQ page:

Quote:
During the first week after you get your vaccine, v-safe will send you a text message each day to ask how you are doing. Then you will get check-in messages once a week for up to 5 weeks. The questions v-safe asks take less than 5 minutes to answer.

If you need a second dose of vaccine, v-safe will provide a new 6-week check-in process so you can share your second-dose vaccine experience as well. Finally, you’ll receive check-ins 3, 6, and 12 months after your final dose of vaccine.
Quote:
How does my participation in v-safe make a difference?

By participating in v-safe, you can tell CDC if you have any side effects after a COVID-19 vaccine. This information helps CDC monitor the safety of COVID-19 vaccines in near real time. If any serious health problems are reported, they can be quickly investigated by CDC’s medical experts and scientists. In addition, traditional vaccine safety systems, such as Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting Systemexternal icon (VAERS) and the Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD), will also be used to monitor the safety of COVID-19 vaccines. These systems are part the nation’s comprehensive approach to vaccine safety.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...afety/faq.html
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 12:22 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Honestly, I have never had fatigue like I had with my second Covid vaccine, and shots usually do not bother me. Someone at work observed that the vaccine gets all the skinny people (with major side effects) and leaves the heavier folks alone & apparently there is some research that backs that up - something to do with weight causing your immune system to be suppressed. At least that was our experience among school personnel. Not meaning to be unkind at all - so let me know if I need to delete that.

Carol
Well I guess that's one positive to the little extra pandemic fluff I have
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 12:31 PM  
Erica H.

This might be bad, but I'm hoping that I experience fatigue from the vaccine that will actually help me sleep. I suffer from terrible insomnia and am desperate for sleep.

Erica
Old 03-15-21, 12:38 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:

Erica
I'd like to know if they've done any studies on it but I'm sure it's way too soon for results even if they had looked at it.

I'm thin and had no side effects from the first shot FWIW.

adawn, I registered for v-safe as well with the CDC. They didn't ask for a whole lot of personal info so I felt okay doing so.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 01:02 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
1st Pfizer shot: Zero side effects. My arm was barely sore. I started wondering if they had given me the real deal.

2nd Pfizer shot: Mildly sore arm for less than a day. I had a low-grade fever and was very tired. That only lasted about a day.
LOL!

First Moderna shot: a somewhat sore arm and not much else. I worked out that afternoon.

Second Moderna shot: a very sore arm and a headache that stuck around for a couple of days. I worked out that afternoon, and it provided some temporary relief for both the soreness and the headache.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 01:09 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
I had no problems with Shingrix (other than my arm being crazy sore with both doses and maybe feeling a little off the second day after my first shot), but DH was very sick with both. He got even sicker after tetanus, which we were surprised about that (he had that last Thursday, so I don't know how long he should wait for covid now that he's eligible). I'm dreading the covid vaccine for him.

Erica
Erica H: My DH had flu-like symptoms from BOTH Shingrix vaccines and he had no reaction to both Pfizer vaccines other than a sore arm.

Quote:

Carol
txhsmom: My DH and I are both slender and we had no reaction from both Pfizer vaccines (other than a sore arm).

I think you just never know how you'll react to the covid vaccines until you get them.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid vaccine, covid-19, vaccinations, vaccines