Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-21, 09:30 PM  
BunnyHop

Rain boots for walking? or something else?

I've been looking for something to wear on rainy day walks but haven't had much success.

What works for you?

Are duck boots and rain boots supportive enough? I've never actually owned a pair and wonder what to think.

In recent years all the sneakers I've had that fit well are made of that breathable mesh stuff. Good shoes, but not dry enough or warm enough on a rainy winter day.

Any advice welcome.
Old 01-02-21, 09:36 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I live in California, so perhaps not the best to tackle this, but.... what about hiking boots -- either "hi tops" or a low profile pair? I wear Merrills that look like sneakers when it rains and my feet stay dry, though it's not as if it's a downpour.
Old 01-02-21, 09:48 PM  
Vantreesta

I also wear hiking boots if I walk in the rain. Mine are Merrell too.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 09:55 PM  
Izzy

There are some boots that are a cross between hiking and run/walking. I have a pair that are more low top vs higher hiking boots. They are waterproof. They are nice because hiking boots for just walking can be uncomfortable. I think mine are Columbia. I wore them today for my walk after our ice/rain/snow yesterday. My feet stayed dry.
Old 01-03-21, 07:40 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm going out today for a 1 mile walk in the rain. I have what I call "garden boots" (I bought them at a big garden shop/nursery). I prefer them over hiking boots if I'm going to be on asphalt or packed dirt. For hiking trails, I stick with hiking boots as I need the traction if the trail is sloppy and muddy.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 08:11 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I splurged on a pair of sneakers with Gore-Tex. They're not great for steady rain (water will seep in around the ankles) but not too bad. At least I won't get wet immediately.

It really depends on how long you'll be walking and on what surface. I have waterproof hikers, but they're too stiff for asphalt. If I'm just going to the store or library (less than two miles), my casual shoes will be fine.
Old 01-03-21, 10:14 AM  
Mickey12

I also have a pair of Merrell hiking boots. They’re water resistant or waterproof, not sure. But they’re very supportive and comfortable. I don’t have occasion to wear them a lot but I love them.
Old 01-03-21, 10:18 AM  
WazzyWaz

Definitely recommend footwear with GoreTex. I also wear Merrell mid hiking boots for wet weather walks (and also walking in areas with standing water/sinking land). The boots go up to the ankles, basically, but are pretty light-weight and feel more like sneakers. I have a pair of low trail runners that are also treated with GoreTex, and they work fine in the right conditions. If you're looking at heavy rain and/or lots of standing water, I'd recommend looking into light-weight hikers, though.
WazzyWaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 03:28 PM  
wendug

What a timely thread. I've been looking at rain boots for a couple of months now. I have winter boots that are waterproof, but with the fuzzy interior they don't work when it is warmer out. I've tried just straight rain boots, but they aren't very comfortable for long walks. I had not thought about hiking boots, but it looks like something I should look into. I do like Merrell shoes, so that's what I'll look into first. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-03-21, 04:00 PM  
Gams

Skechers Bobs has some cute, very highly rated rain boots on QVC.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boots, cold weather, hiking boots, shoes, walking boots, winter workouts