Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-20, 04:54 PM  
sherry7899

Roku help

I am thinking of buying a Roku. It would make streaming easier on our Samsung smart tv that I use for workouts. I cannot download all apps on there, and using the internet is frustrating.

I am clueless about which one to get. I am thinking of the Roku plus.
I am going to see if there us a sale on Amazon for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. I have Amazon Visa reward points, so it would not even cost anything.

I was able to hook up the fire stick to another tv without any trouble, so I hope the Roku is as easy to install.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 05:44 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

We have two rokus. Not sure what models. One is a black square and one (newer) one is like half the size. Both have similar remotes and are hooked up via HDMI cable to the tvs they are connected to.

We have a "smart" tv in the family room but found the "smart" tv was kind of a pain to use for streaming and the buffering wasn't good even though it has a direct connection to our high speed internet. My uncle had been talking about the wonders of his roku for years. Finally we got one even though it felt kind of redundant since we had a "smart" tv. Turns out, the roku is the best thing that ever happened to us. No more buffering issues (not even in the room where the wifi signal is low). So easy to add apps. Etc. It just works.

I remember nothing about the "installation" so I'm assuming we just plugged it in and it worked and did what it was supposed to do.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 05:52 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Dawn!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 06:45 PM  
BunnyHop

Mind if I join the conversation??

How does it work, exactly? Is the price you pay at the store for the unit the only expense beyond having an internet connection in the house?

I feel so dumb about this, but I ditched cable earlier in the year and am wondering what else is out there.
Old 11-22-20, 07:01 PM  
sillygirl

The Roku Ultra is currently on sale for $69 on Amazon / $69.99 at Target (reg. $99.99). We have the Roku Express, Premiere, and Ultra at our house. You can turn your TV off/on, control the volume, and there is a new mute button on the side with this new version on of the Ultra and also takes voice commands. Other than those additional remote features, the models all stream in high-definition and I can't tell the different in video quality. You can download any available Roku apps on any of the Roku models.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 07:06 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

How does it work, exactly? Is the price you pay at the store for the unit the only expense beyond having an internet connection in the house?

I feel so dumb about this, but I ditched cable earlier in the year and am wondering what else is out there.
Yes, you just pay the price for the Roku unit. All the apps we use were free to download and then you would just need to have a subscription with those apps to use them. We have Hulu, Netflix, and Disney+ subscriptions. Once we add those apps to our dashboard we just sign into our accounts with the same credentials as we would on the desktop site. You can also purchase the subscription using your Roku account but I like purchasing directly from the provider on their desktop site. It's like a place to keep all your apps (Roku apps) on your TV, just like an iPhone/iPad stores your iOS apps. HTH!
Old 11-22-20, 07:07 PM  
sillygirl

Here's the list of Health and Wellness-related apps available on Roku.

https://channelstore.roku.com/browse...h-and-wellness
Old 11-22-20, 07:29 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I remember nothing about the "installation" so I'm assuming we just plugged it in and it worked and did what it was supposed to do.
This was my experience too.
Old 11-22-20, 07:29 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

We use
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 07:52 PM  
sillygirl

Also, a newly added feature recently to the Premiere and Ultra models is that you can cast directly to the Roku (like screen mirroring from an Apple product to an Apple TV). This doesn't work on the Express model.

Tags
roku