Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-20, 12:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Has anyone been to the dentist lately?

Our dental cleaning and check-up appointments in June were cancelled. (DH and I schedule both for both of us the same day as it a a very long drive.) The facility was closed except for emergencies.

They just called to re-schedule or cleanings and check-ups for late August. The virus is surging in our area, so I am freaked out. I know the facility will be scrupulous about sanitizing. It's the knuckleheads who aren't taking things seriously that worries me.

Has anyone been to the dentist recently?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 12:36 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I just had two appts recently as I broke a tooth right in the middle of lockdown. I needed a cap. I felt quite comfortable there as Covid cases are very low here. The office was not operating at full capacity, lots of room to social distance, staff in full PPE.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 12:44 PM  
bubbles76

Tiny Bubble and I just went a few weeks back. NJ is the second highest hit state in the US. However, I felt very safe. Like Pam's experience, the office was not operating at full capacity, lots of room to social distance, staff in full PPE. They even sanitized the pens, took our temperatures before entering, full scrubbed down the dental chair between Tiny Bubble and my appointment, and gave us the option to wait in the car. The tv remote and magazines were out of sight.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 12:46 PM  
prettyinpink

Just for cleaning and xrays.

They have appointments spread out more and fewer rooms going, so rooms get aired out in between. Almost no one in the waiting room.

I had to wear goggles, they had face mask and shield and used some extra kind of suction to pick up anything aerosolized immediately. I was nervous but after the experience I see that it is primarily they who are at risk, not me as the patient.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 12:46 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I was supposed to go for a cleaning next week, but I cancelled. My son had to get a permanent crown and they have done a lot of work (at my dentist) to make things safer. They don't have more than one person in the waiting room at a time. When you park your car, you call them and they tell you whether or not you can come into the waiting room. They got some big air filtration thing like what's used on airplanes, but they also got some individual type things that suck the air at the patient's mouth (to keep staff safe). They pulled out any carpeting they had and put in hardwood flooring. And it seems like there was something else but now I can't remember. My dentist knew we were super paranoid about it, so he personally called me and told me about all of the changes.
Old 07-14-20, 12:54 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Yep, I had a crown put in and that took 3 appointments. It was very clean, all of the staff wore masks and they took my temperature each time I came in.

Alta, it's scary but these medical and dental offices are really used to keeping everything spotless and hygenic. I think you'll be ok???

I have an OB-GYN appt next week, stay tuned lol!
Old 07-14-20, 12:55 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the reassuring posts!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 01:01 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Yes, we went a month ago. They were scrupulously clean and had made a whole lot of changes in the office---HEPA filtered air machines in every space, the waiting area chairs were six feet apart, everyone had on masks and the hygienist and dentist wore the shields along with the masks. They took the temp of each person who entered. I felt more comfortable there than any of the few other places I've gone. Incidentally, they charged a fee that is attributed to the additional expense of sanitizing everything and purchase of PPEs, etc. It wasn't covered by insurance. I read that at least a part of it was mandated by the ADA and was designed to help practitioners recoup at least some of the cost of the measures they had to take to abide by the strict guidelines they imposed. I'm okay with that. Dentists offices could definitely be a hotbed for infection, and DH and I are happy to report no ill effects and we didn't really care about the fee.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 02:10 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
They were scrupulously clean and had made a whole lot of changes in the office---HEPA filtered air machines in every space, the waiting area chairs were six feet apart, everyone had on masks and the hygienist and dentist wore the shields along with the masks. They took the temp of each person who entered.
I had a similar experience today.

I was scheduled for a cleaning in June when the best hygienist I’ve ever had decided she didn’t want to return to work due to Covid. They had to reschedule all her appointments. Mine was today. It went well (except that I needed to schedule another appointment for a crown )

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 02:12 PM  
BigBadBetty

I just had my cleaning last week. You call from the parking lot. They get you when it is time for your appointment. No one in the waiting room. (I think they let those who walk or ride a bike wait inside in bad weather. It's a suburban office so most people drive there.) They check your temperature before you go in. Everyone is masked and/or wearing face shields. I felt pretty safe. I have some gum issues so I really didn't want to miss my cleaning.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, dentist