Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-20, 04:28 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
It not accessible to all. We still don't have universal coverage. Every other industrial democracy does.
I meant our Canadian system is accessible to all, I am a Canadian.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 05:03 PM  
Carol K

Oh! Totally missed your point then. Years ago, I was in class and some guy was talking about how superior our system was because a Canadian friend of his was able to move here and get a surgery right away that he would have had to wait months for in Canada. He added that his friend had to pay through the nose for it. I said, "well it's good that he was able to pay through the nose for it, because there are a lot of people who wouldn't have been able to and would have preferred to wait a few months".
Old 06-10-20, 05:20 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I am really hoping that the US will finally implement affordable universal health coverage like every other industrial democracy. No one should have to pay $1,000 a month, certainly not unemployed people.
This! However not getting my hopes up.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 05:38 PM  
sherry7899

Basic doctors visits are also expensive, and so are tests. When I needed an endoscopy, I saw the bill before the negotiated price with the insurance company. It was $26,000 for a seven minute procedure. I do not know if there is any kind of sliding scale if you do not use insurance, but it would not be cheap!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 06:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Basic doctors visits are also expensive, and so are tests. When I needed an endoscopy, I saw the bill before the negotiated price with the insurance company. It was $26,000 for a seven minute procedure. I do not know if there is any kind of sliding scale if you do not use insurance, but it would not be cheap!
i read a good article somewhere - i want to say it might have been in AARP magazine or Reader's Digest. you can ask your doctor and/or insurance carrier for ways to get the amount you pay reduced. i know the $26K was before insurance portion, but patients are being more proactive in cost reduction and looking for options.

i had minor surgery done recently and was surprised when it was held in a non-hospital. in fact, this location was in a former restaurant complex that has a mix of other tenants like restaurants, offices, and dialysis. i wasn't charged the usual "hospital" fee that i would have been charged for outpatient services in a regular hospital.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 07:02 PM  
Carol K

There are more and more procedures that used to be inpatient only, that are now performed in an outpatient setting. I'm an outpatient medical coder for a hospital and I'm continually amazed by the operative reports that I see.
Old 06-10-20, 07:36 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

not sure i understand your last sentence, but if you're married, one of you would have to work until 67 in order to maximize your SS distributions. if he is still working and you can be covered on his medical, check to see what that would entail by having his HR department assist you with that.
I am covered right now through his work. But even if he can work until he's 70, I would still be five years away from Medicare. I can get Cobra from his work, but it wouldn't last that long. I'm not sure we could afford his Medicare and my health care since his ss benefits will be much less than what he makes now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
ddj,

As a widow, I am able to collect SS off my husband’s income and he made considerably more than I did.
Ah, I see.
Old 06-11-20, 05:42 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I have to admit, the prospect of returning to the office on a regular basis has me wanting to retire! I'm not there age-wise yet - I'm only 52, and I have a DD who will be a senior in HS next year - so I know I have to keep going - and at least get her through college. But, ugh, the thought of going back to commuting and all that just makes me want to quit! I hope that my workplace allows for more telework on a regular basis as that does make working more bearable.

I would love to retire sometime between age 58 and 62. As others have said, I want to be young enough to enjoy it! And, yea, I know there are people who are in great shape and active into their 70's and 80's and if I happen to be one of those people -all the better - but I don't want to take any chances, LOL! I also don't have a desire or live a super extravagant lifestyle. A nice trip or two every year that would cover me. I mostly just want the FREE time and freedom. I can be quite happy doing local things, enjoying my yard, reading, taking more walks, maybe getting into a craft or hobby that I don't have time for now, etc.

Haven't really decided about SS - and when to take it - there are arguments on both sides for doing it early and doing it late.

For now, my workplace will allow me to buy health benefits at a reduced rate for myself and my DH when I retire - so that is a plus. My DH is older than me so he will hit Medicare age before me, so I that would be an even greater savings as I would then just have to cover myself and my DH's plan would then just be a supplemental plan.

I guess we'll see where it goes.....

But, the thought of getting back into the commuting rat race just makes me want to retire!!! (and move, MD is too expensive for retirees!). I wouldn't even necessarily mind working a PT job after retirement - something close to home....20 or so hours a week....

Donna
Agree with all of this. I don't want to be without insurance though. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a part time "fun" job with insurance benefits. I just turned 47 though, so I have a ways to go. I will likely "retire" from long distance commuting though, unless my job allows me to work remote exclusively or just travel into the office one or two days per week. The days of me driving 50 miles a day are over. Being able to work from home and not drive for the most part has made me realize I no longer want a lengthy commute and I should seek something closer to home.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 06:00 AM  
Gams

There aren’t many places that offer insurance benefits to part-time employees. And even fewer places that offer insurance to part-time employees that are in your backyard. When I was checking these things out, I found one place that offered insurance to part-time employees and it was 50 miles from my house and the insurance wasn’t that great.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 06:48 AM  
sherry7899

I think Trader Joe's and Starbucks may be among the few that offer insurance for part time workers.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, career advice, coronavirus, covid-19, job application, retirement