Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-20, 01:45 PM  
sherry7899

As far as going without insurance, you can be healthy but get injured in a car accident, or a fall and end up needing surgery.

Years ago I had a bad reaction to a medication and my blood pressure was dangerously low. I was in the hospital.for three days for monitoring and testing. I did not have any surgery or procedures. Without insurance, that three day stay would have cost $20,000!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 01:47 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Just rub it in Americans faces lol! I'm just kidding. Seriously, our country has got to do better with this issue. Otherwise, we may all move to Canada when we retire.
Lol Bubbles, just remember to leave your guns behind!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 01:51 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Lol Bubbles, just remember to leave your guns behind!

Hahaha!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 02:19 PM  
Gams

I think it’s very foolish to go without health insurance. My husband was young and lived a healthy lifestyle- good diet and exercised daily, etc. Then he was diagnosed with cancer and it had already spread throughout his body when it was found. He spent 2 months in the hospital before he died and his medical bills were just shy of $1,000,000.

I’ve had my appendix out, a broken leg twice, skin cancer, anal cancer, bronchitis. It’s ALL very expensive. I can’t imagine not having health insurance.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 02:35 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Just rub it in Americans faces lol! I'm just kidding. Seriously, our country has got to do better with this issue. Otherwise, we may all move to Canada when we retire.
And it's not even like the single-payer insurance that they have in Canada is the only answer. France, Germany, Switzerland and Japan use private insurance companies. But they sell essential insurance on a non-profit basis. We're the only country trying to provide universal health coverage with profit-based insurance companies.
Old 06-10-20, 02:50 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I would love to retire sometime between age 58 and 62. As others have said, I want to be young enough to enjoy it! And, yea, I know there are people who are in great shape and active into their 70's and 80's and if I happen to be one of those people -all the better - but I don't want to take any chances, LOL! I also don't have a desire or live a super extravagant lifestyle. A nice trip or two every year that would cover me. I mostly just want the FREE time and freedom.

But, the thought of getting back into the commuting rat race just makes me want to retire!!! (and move, MD is too expensive for retirees!). I wouldn't even necessarily mind working a PT job after retirement - something close to home....20 or so hours a week....
Change the MD to MA and this is me.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 04:04 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
And it's not even like the single-payer insurance that they have in Canada is the only answer. France, Germany, Switzerland and Japan use private insurance companies. But they sell essential insurance on a non-profit basis. We're the only country trying to provide universal health coverage with profit-based insurance companies.
Yes health care costs $, so either you pay upfront for insurance or fund it with taxpayer $. Nothing is free.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 06-10-20, 04:17 PM  
Carol K

Of course not, but health care costs way more in the US. This video is from 2008, but it's only gotten worse since then.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...roundtheworld/
Old 06-10-20, 04:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Of course not, but health care costs way more in the US. This video is from 2008, but it's only gotten worse since then.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...roundtheworld/
Yes, I’ve heard it’s bankrupting people, very sad. I hope I didn’t sound flippant, didn’t mean to at all! We have friends who moved to WA state and became US citizens. They had what they thought was good health insurance only to end up selling their home to cover costs and going back to work after several years of retirement. Now they’ve moved back to Canada. Our system certainly isn’t perfect but at least it’s accessible to all.

ETA Access to health care is so very important as we age!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 06-10-20, 04:27 PM  
Carol K

It not accessible to all. We still don't have universal coverage. Every other industrial democracy does.

Tags
career, career advice, coronavirus, covid-19, job application, retirement