Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-20, 03:36 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
loulou I was thinking about buying the wires separately to stick-on. Does anyone know how well the sticky part holds up through the wash? (I have been machine washing my masks using a lingerie bag.)
I recently purchased a 10-pack of these nose bridge bendy things from etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/8153278...lat-5mm-sticky

I bought them for my "summer" mask* which is a lightweight fabric mask from etsy that I like but that didn't come with a bendy strip built in so the mask fogs up my glasses.

The sticky nose bridge thing does solve the glasses fogging issue. (I just stuck the nose bridge thing on today.) However, I doubt the sticky nose bridge things I bought will hold up to machine washing. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they'll hold up to the hand washing I normally do, but we'll see. I might have to treat the sticky bendy strips as disposable but who knows. I'll have to see what happens after I wear the mask and hand wash it. I don't go out much so it may be a week or so before I report back.

*As opposed to my mask of choice for cooler temps (the LA Apparel masks).
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 05:26 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Hi Jeannine--the one mask I linked to is a little pointy on the bottom b/c I sewed it in there a little more to be tighter. I did sew in a wire for the nose and secured that further, which I think will help. I was using a neck gaiter as a mask before I purchased an actually mask. It worked okay but didn't stay up well, and my glasses definitely fogged with it. Also, it was too hot for summer.

I think adawn is right in that everyone's face is different; I'll probably have to keep playing around to figure out what works best. Thanks for all the feedback.
Beth, i thought of you when i saw this video on youtube:

NO FOG FACE MASK | Simple Hack That Really Works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrYFvE_mCU4

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 08:15 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks Jeannine! I have actually seen that video (and several others, haha). The tissue method doesn't work well for me, and it makes harder to breathe. So far, I have had the best luck with masks that include a nose wire. I have also seen that you could use surgical tape (or even a bandaid) to get a better seal.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-20, 08:45 PM  
bfit

Athleta has some now that I just got in the mail a few days ago. They are well made, washable, and reasonably attractive. When I ordered it was five masks for about $25. I've had good experiences ordering from Athleta over the years.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-20, 09:38 PM  
sherry7899

Unhappy

An ad showed up in my Facebook feed of a mask with a picture of the character Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory spraying Lysol. Very clever! I wish I could find the ad again to check for reviews of the mask.

I have no idea how the sad face got up there.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-20, 10:42 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I recently purchased a 10-pack of these nose bridge bendy things from etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/8153278...lat-5mm-sticky

I bought them for my "summer" mask* which is a lightweight fabric mask from etsy that I like but that didn't come with a bendy strip built in so the mask fogs up my glasses.

The sticky nose bridge thing does solve the glasses fogging issue. (I just stuck the nose bridge thing on today.) However, I doubt the sticky nose bridge things I bought will hold up to machine washing. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they'll hold up to the hand washing I normally do, but we'll see. I might have to treat the sticky bendy strips as disposable but who knows. I'll have to see what happens after I wear the mask and hand wash it. I don't go out much so it may be a week or so before I report back.

*As opposed to my mask of choice for cooler temps (the LA Apparel masks).
Update:

The bendy strip only stayed stuck to my mask for part of the errands I ran today. I was only out 2-3 hours for an appointment and then groceries at Target, etc. The entire right half of the bendy strip came unstuck from the cotton fabric of my mask and I ended up having to peel the whole strip off in the middle of Sam's Club. (It came off quite easily). Le sigh.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 03:13 PM  
antbuko

PM2.5 filter recommendations?

I picked up a two-pack of the Tommie Copper masks at Home Depot and I like them a lot. There is a pocket inside the mask to insert a filter. Are the filters really necessary, and can anyone recommend some?
Old 08-07-20, 04:18 PM  
Gams

I bought face masks through Cuddle Clones with my puppy’s picture on them. I really like them.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 06:39 AM  
suzannaerin

The ones Summersalt makes are the best Ive found so far (I've tried a lot of different ones).
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 08:27 AM  
Sollamyn

If you went to college, you might be able to find masks with your college logo and/or mascot on them from your college and/or alumni association. I just bought a package of two, plus a t-shirt with a Bob Odenkirk quote ("I'm a Saluki, you fools. I'm a Saluki, and I will destroy you.") He is an alumni and a commencement speaker, recently. The saluki is our mascot.

Anyway, just an idea if you want to support your school. Profits from the masks go toward scholarships, so I'm helping my school in addition to staying safe. Also, a local trophy shop is selling masks with high school logos/mascots on them.

Just some ideas.

Donna

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, facial covering, mask, masks