Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-03, 04:08 PM  
thebelovedgirl

Smile

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your replies and wonderful advice. The reason why I am serious about losing weight now is because my primary care doctor told me that doing cardio 3x a week reduces high blood pressure. I think it is not the desire to lose weight but I want to be healthy being that our family have a history of heart disease. I guess I want to try to decrease the chances of me having it in the future.
thebelovedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 04:26 PM  
janetb
VF Supporter

Since you are an experienced with gym step classes, you may want start with intermediate-to-advanced tapes. Gym workouts are usually more intense that videos, in general. Even if you aren't currently fit when you start using the tapes, you can always modify to less intense options. Have fun!
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 04:40 PM  
Becka Boyd

May wanna give something like Cathe's Power Max a try or go to Collage Video and check into the advanced step videos there. Also CIA Creative Instructor Aerobics videos may interest you. Some are sold at Collage, and they have a website too.

Old 01-23-03, 07:34 AM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by thebelovedgirl
Hi everyone! Thanks for all your replies and wonderful advice. The reason why I am serious about losing weight now is because my primary care doctor told me that doing cardio 3x a week reduces high blood pressure. I think it is not the desire to lose weight but I want to be healthy being that our family have a history of heart disease. I guess I want to try to decrease the chances of me having it in the future.
A little warning: Bodies vary, and a moderate exercise program may not cause you to lose a lot of weight. Some people, particularly those whose weight has been stable most of their adult life, don't get spectacular "results" in that way. However, you will probably get "results" in other ways -- your exercise program will show in your blood pressure and in your resting heart rate (which you can easily check at home). In addition, even if you don't lose the pounds, your body is likely to become more attractive and shapely.

By the way, I haven't lost much weight through exercise alone. (I'm losing weight right now, but that's because of a medication I'm on.) On the other hand, exercise:

1) Caused my blood pressure to drop back to normal.
2) Caused my resting heart rate to go from the 90's to the 70's.
3) Caused my heart to heal from radiation damage (I now have a perfect EKG, or whatever that thing is called, and I had a perfect stress test).
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-03, 09:47 AM  
thebelovedgirl

Thanks for that great advice Lenore and everyone. I will take everything to heart. A little bit of a good news, I am not sure if this was attributed to doing Imax2, but yesterday I checked my blood pressure and it went down to 130/70.
Old 01-23-03, 12:00 PM  
Debs

Frankly, I don't think this forum would exist if you couldn't get results by working out at home. Everyone has their own definition of "results," and for me the results in strength and energy gains have been happiest of all.

Still, I don't think you have to defend your desire to lose weight. Especially since you didn't give your height or frame (and I'm not asking), no one here can tell you what your "happy & healthy medium" should or can be.

Just My Opinion
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-03, 12:21 PM  
thebelovedgirl

Thanks Debs

Tags
over 50, step, step aerobics, success stories