Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-14, 11:20 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I love step and do it as often as I can.

I agree with Nora - my favourites include old Evolution and CIA workouts. I am hunting down as many as I can find. I wish they were both still in business.

I also second yogapam's suggestion of Charlene Prickett's With Every Step and adawn's recommendation of Kristen Kagen's Step This Way. Both excellent workouts.

Kari Anderson's step workouts are good, but she hasn't put out a new one in years.

Other than Cathe's Party Rockin' Steps (which are both great), I am not aware of any recent step releases, nor am I aware of any upcoming ones either. I heard a rumour quite a while ago that Seasun might be filming, but haven't heard a more recent update.

I see so few step classes being offered through my city's recreation facilities that I worry about it's future. If no classes are offered, it is less likely that new devotees will be found, which therefore means a smaller market for new DVDs and streaming workouts. My first year stepping was in a group class. If I hadn't taken a class to try it out first, I don't think I would have purchased a step for home use.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 11:35 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Pam61, if you're looking for Rebecca Small, you can buy S'Express and Symmetrical Step from Jumpy Bumpy in the UK for only £4.00, which is quite cheap. I don't know offhand what the exchange rate is to US dollars, but that is a great deal. Some people say her routines are complicated, but she is great teacher, builds slowly and explains her moves clearly.

Stephanie, any specific recommendations from the Stomp workouts? I don't mind spending a bit more if the workouts are good.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 12:38 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Other than Cathe's Party Rockin' Steps (which are both great), I am not aware of any recent step releases, nor am I aware of any upcoming ones either. I heard a rumour quite a while ago that Seasun might be filming, but haven't heard a more recent update.
Paula, aside from Cathe, Amy Bento's ASC5 is the only recent release I'm aware of (2013?). There was also Gay Gasper's Steptastic (in 2012?). I haven't tried either of these so can't comment.

I also remember hearing somewhere (on VF?) about Seasun filming but when I searched the forums today I couldn't come up with anything.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 01:17 AM  
Hej

I still really like step. My favorites are the same (Cathe, CIA, Amy, etc.) as other people have already suggested.

One that I don't think has been mentioned is Petra Kolber. She released The Last Step in 2011. I think she said at the time that step has really gone out of fashion and that there's not that much demand for it any more. What a shame!
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 01:32 AM  
woodie

Same here - love step. Amy is my fave but I love Cathe also and Rebecca Small. The gym box has online step workouts. Haven't tried them yet but they look good!

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 05:45 AM  
gilbjeter

I'm surprised no one mentioned thegymbox.com
For $10 a month, they upload new videos every Monday.. Their step is just awesome. They also offer cardio, strength, yoga, treadmill, cycle and more. They are a hidden gem. But their step. I love it. My favorite instructors are Dana and Jen.
gilbjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 08:00 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I don't do as much step as I used to, but I love Firm Cardio Step Mix, Gin Miller's Simply Step, and a few of Charlene Prickett's old step workouts. I used to love Cathe's Low Max, but I no longer have that one.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 08:29 AM  
Indy

I love step. It is my cardio of choice. I love Rebecca Small, Kari Anderson, Amy Bento, Christi Taylor, Seasun - I've done most of Cathe but think her step is a little on the boring side. I wish there was more out there.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 08:52 AM  
bubbles76

Avid stepper It is my favorite form of cardio. My favorites are Christi Taylor, Petra Kolber, and Amy Bento, though I have yet to master any of hers all the way through. Like Pam, I have quite a bit of step in my collection that I haven't touched, so even if step is on the way out, I have plenty in my collection to keep me busy. There is some good stuff on youtube too.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 09:40 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Pam61, if you're looking for Rebecca Small, you can buy S'Express and Symmetrical Step from Jumpy Bumpy in the UK for only £4.00, which is quite cheap. I don't know offhand what the exchange rate is to US dollars, but that is a great deal. Some people say her routines are complicated, but she is great teacher, builds slowly and explains her moves clearly.
I thought I had bought one of Rebecca's workouts from Jumpy Bumpy and they sent me the music CD for the workout instead. I might have ended up paying $20....for music! I don't know if it was my mistake or theirs. I never returned it because of course it's in the UK.

I've watched Rebecca on youtube videos and she's fantastic!

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite step, keli roberts, step, step aerobics