Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-14, 03:53 PM  
Libby

Fun Step Videos

I am looking for fun step videos that are intermediate level. I don't mind advanced but I can't do the advanced choreography. Cathe's are usually too hard for me to figure out or complete the whole workout. I really like great music to work out to also. Any suggestions of good step workouts?

Thanks!
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 04:47 PM  
bfit

I like Gin Miller's Simply Step. and Jenny Ford's Step by Step is also good. Although it's very old by now, I also like Gilad's Step Workout. The old Kathy Smith Step workout and her Great Buns and Thighs step workout are also ones that I do. Cathe's Basic Step and Body Fusion is probably the most basic of Cathe's step workouts, and it's really not complex at all.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 05:11 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Petra Kolber is my go to instructor for great step workouts that have interesting choreography and are completely doable. The Last Step, PK Step, and Step Moves, New Grooves are personal favorites.

Patrick Goudeau 's Quick Step is a super fun 30 minute step workout that is very doable.

Christi Taylor's Terrific Trio, Cardio Collectibles, & Stepsational are some of her easier workouts.

Jenny Ford is good too!

They're a little dated and all the Step Reebok titles are pretty good and not overly complex.

Amy Bento, Season Ziegler, Patrick Goudeau (except for Quick Step), Christi Taylor (except ones mentioned), Rob Glick, and Rebecca Small are very complex!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 07:30 PM  
Mandy

Gay Gasper is intermediate.

I would suggest her All Out Infused Step. The choreography is intermediate and the music is upbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvvWTsqVqWE
Old 07-18-14, 08:07 PM  
anne

Kari Anderson Go is a good one and her older Fitness Formula (which I think is only on vhs).
Karen Voight Energy Sprint
Firm Cardio Step Mix
Kathy Smith Power Step Workout
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 09:41 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Gay Gasper is intermediate.

I would suggest her All Out Infused Step. The choreography is intermediate and the music is upbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvvWTsqVqWE
Wow, just watched the clip and that's considered intermediate?
I guess I'll stick to my Gilad, Reebok and Debra Mazda.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 05:40 AM  
wendy2

Cathe doesn't cue well (i.e she cues on the move or slighty after it, rather than slightly before it), so that might be why you have trouble figuring out her choreography.

Though Christi Taylor's choreo is more complex than Cathe's, I'd suggest her Solid Gold Step and Totally Cool Step as intermediate with fun music. She is such an excellent cuer that you may be able to follow along even if you have trouble following Cathe... If you can do those two, you'll definitely want to try Step Heaven. I also really like Totally Cool Step 2...

Solid Gold Step is only $10 on totalfitnessdvds.com, and it looks like you can rent some of her stuff on Amazon instant video for $1.99 to try things out.

I also like Petra's The Last Step.

Oh, and if the step is tripping you up, you can always do the workout without the step. If that's weird or difficult, you can tape a rectangle on the floor to give you a visual.
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 08:54 AM  
mtnmom

Cathe's older step workouts are better cued, if you can stand the dated outfits. I like Power Max for it's music.

On the level of Petra and Gay Gasper is the one-hit-wonder of Step by Design by Carole Paradise. Collage still sells it and I really think they overrate it as complex. Carole cues very well and there is so much repetition, it's easy to learn. Read the reviews, as a few state how they thought it was overrated. One of the background people is a modifier and sticks to basic moves, so you won't be alone if you do too!
Old 07-19-14, 09:00 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
Cathe's older step workouts are better cued, if you can stand the dated outfits. I like Power Max for it's music.

On the level of Petra and Gay Gasper is the one-hit-wonder of Step by Design by Carole Paradise. Collage still sells it and I really think they overrate it as complex. Carole cues very well and there is so much repetition, it's easy to learn. Read the reviews, as a few state how they thought it was overrated. One of the background people is a modifier and sticks to basic moves, so you won't be alone if you do too!
This actually looks really good! Thanks for the recommendation,I might have to get this one.
Music is good too.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 01:04 PM  
suzannaerin

I agree with Diane about Cathe's older step workouts. She has two DVDs that contain three oldies but goodies each. Power Max is one of my favorites, too, and I love Step Works. Step Heat and Step Fit have pretty easy to learn choreography and are not too intense.

Don't discount Party Rocking Step #2. There is a learning curve to it, but the choreography is great (FWIW, I do not do the spins, easy to modify those into lateral moves, which is usually how she first demos them).
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite step, step, step aerobics