Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-14, 12:15 PM  
chemicalemma

I've been getting into step again lately but I find myself limited by the step videos that are out there. I'm terrified of really complex choreography! I have a hard enough time with my coordination on the floor. Add in a step and I start to panic that I'll sprain something.

Christi's Mission Possible is about the limit of my step choreography complexity, and it seems like no one is making step videos at about that level anymore. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
Old 03-17-14, 01:05 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Right now I'm looking into Power Music's Group RX Power Step workouts as a updated alternative to Gin Miller's old Reebok step workouts (Intense Moves - Power - Extreme). I don't know if they are (yet!), but fingers crossed .... (Any comments on these would be welcome!) .... I love step, but step doesn't love me. Years of high-impact, complex step classes during the 90's have made me very susceptible to PF. Basic up-and-down step bores me to tears and complex choreo aggravates my feet, so my current options are limited to a handful of Gin & Cathe workouts.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-14, 07:04 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykram View Post
Seasun just posted on FB that she's thinking of filming again and wanted an idea of what people wanted.
Great news. I love her workouts. Nice, steady state aerobics, and she always makes good use of the step both vertically and horizontally.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 12:17 AM  
MaureenK

I periodically do other types of exercise programs, but ultimately I always come back to step. I like the highly choreographed workouts. It keeps me from getting bored. I still have one of Seasun's DVDs on my wish list. If she comes out with another, I'll probably get that too.
MaureenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 07:15 AM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
I like step, always have but I must confess I don't do it as often as I used to. As a result I am in the process of unloading a few step workouts that I don't reach for as much. I have a small stash of older step workouts from the 90's and to be honest those are the ones I like doing the most. I also have a few Firms with step and Cathe's Low Impact Circuit which is one of my favorites of all time, the step premix that is.

I used to do step three times a week, now it's usually once per week, maybe twice at the most. I am doing more kickboxing and walking these days, and I hope to get out on my bike when it gets warmer.

It is too bad though that step isn't as popular as before.
Cathe Low Impact Circuit (all cardio premix?) is my all-time favorite of the DVD's I have. Everyone is happy and cheerful. The music rocks! It put me in a great mood
Old 03-18-14, 07:19 AM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
Right now I'm looking into Power Music's Group RX Power Step workouts as a updated alternative to Gin Miller's old Reebok step workouts (Intense Moves - Power - Extreme). I don't know if they are (yet!), but fingers crossed .... (Any comments on these would be welcome!) .... I love step, but step doesn't love me. Years of high-impact, complex step classes during the 90's have made me very susceptible to PF. Basic up-and-down step bores me to tears and complex choreo aggravates my feet, so my current options are limited to a handful of Gin & Cathe workouts.
Hi Breezy You may like Group Rx step. I don't find them complex. The combos are broke down. Nothing fancy. The workouts are set by tracks, similar to Less Mills I think. I have two of them (can't look which ones right now) I choose them based on the music. They have some top commercial songs on their workouts. I like the music very much.
Old 03-18-14, 09:18 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
Hi Breezy You may like Group Rx step. I don't find them complex. The combos are broke down. Nothing fancy. The workouts are set by tracks, similar to Less Mills I think. I have two of them (can't look which ones right now) I choose them based on the music. They have some top commercial songs on their workouts. I like the music very much.
Hi Sharaz. Thanks so much for your input. This is exactly what I'm looking for!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 06:53 PM  
Mickey12

Christi's Mission Possible is about the limit of my step choreography complexity, and it seems like no one is making step videos at about that level anymore. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.[/QUOTE]

Emma, take a look at Jenny Ford. Her choreography isn't too bad. She has a couple step workouts.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 09:43 PM  
DEEDEE

I think one of the reasons step has taken a back seat over the last few years is because more personal trainers are producing videos vs. group fitness instructors. Personal trainers lean more towards the do one move for a certain amount of reps or seconds then stop and go to another exercise where group fitness instructors are more into choreography that transitions linking moves together.

Personally I think video is a poor place for personal trainers. The training for personal trainer vs group instructor is different and not being able to see someone perform a move to see why they are having trouble with a certain move takes the personal out of the class.

I also think choreography is seen as 'fluff' these days.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 10:00 AM  
Judy W.

I second the Jenny Ford recommendation. She does simple step to moderately complex. She obviously loves step! Also has downloadable workouts, for those who do that. I believe I read she may be coming out with new dvds as well -- I sure hope so.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step, step aerobics