Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-13, 08:59 PM  
slysam

I tried two of the Firm Zip workouts today--jump start and Carido 1. Hmmmm.... I just remembered why I never click with Firm cardio workouts (so far). I sometimes feel their choreography is too complicated for me. LOL! I love dance workouts including very complicated dance choreographies but for some reason I feel like two-left feet with step aerobics or kickboxing choreography. The Cardio 1 gave me the same feeling--but I am sure I will get use to it. I liked the Jump Start workout though. I am not sure that I like the step aerobic type moves stepping onto the unzipped Zip. I liked the exercises where it was used as a ball though.

The other day I did an Ugi workout to remind myself what they are like. I really like the format they use for non-dance cardio it is basically as many as you can in a minute of each exercise. The workouts are 30 exercises. I think I will like the Firm Zip for shorter workouts though. This morning I did two Firm Zip workouts followed by a gentle yoga practice.

For comparison from my heart rate monitor:
Sunday Ugi day 1 with 10 pound Ugi: 30 minutes, average heart rate 111, maximum heart rate 139. Estimated calorie burn 165 (5.5 calories per minute). I had to modify a couple exercises that were too hard with my 10 pound Ugi.

Today Firm Zip Cardio 1 with Zip (no extra weight): 17:23 (including warmup), average heart rate 112 bpm, maximum heart rate 134 bpm. Estimated calorie burn 95 (5.4 calories per minute). I used the weighted core balls in sections, but added no weight to the Zip.

I think the intensities of the workouts are remarkably similar considering the balls are of such different weights. So I am glad to have these shorter options and combining two Zip workouts was pretty easy since they are on the same disk (the two I combined). I can really see using them (along with some other short workouts) to get really warm before doing a longer yoga or stretching session.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-13, 09:42 PM  
Bebop

What is the zip trainer? I'm confused.
Is it a new fangled step?

Does this set also come with core balls?????
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 11:23 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
What is the zip trainer? I'm confused.
Is it a new fangled step?

Does this set also come with core balls?????
It is like a large soft medicine ball that can be unzipped to form two small domes kind of like mini BOSU. It comes with some workouts and a weighted "core ball" that can be used as a weight on it's own or to add weight to the medicine ball. The core balls are basically little plastic balls filled with sand or something that adds weight.

http://www.firmdirect.com/firm/ecs/main/index.html
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 12:39 PM  
Bebop

Thanks. I just watched that mini clip. I'm intrigued. I don't mind shorter workouts. I traded FE because it was too much impact.

They are a bit pricey for me right now but maybe a holiday wish list. I like having a variety of workouts.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 07:51 PM  
anne

I've done Zip Cardio 1, Sculpt 1, Amp Reps 1, and Barefoot Abs and my impression so far is mixed. Sometimes I'm thinking "this is really fun" but other times I'm wondering how effective the workouts really are at only 15 minutes without the warm ups/cool downs. I thought the amps rep workout had some awkward movements (lunge position with thigh on the ball for example) and in the Sculpt workout I think the move where you kneel on the domes and then stand up on the domes and then go back down to kneeling on the domes could be dangerous for the knee joint.

The step cardio with the domes is fun and the workouts go by quickly. Also, using the zip trainer kind of "tricks" you into lifting 5 pounds which is good. The workouts seem to help with shoulder flexibility--sometimes after weight work my shoulders get stiff but not so far with these. I'm looking forward to trying the other workouts in the set.

The Zip Trainer itself seems very well made and the quality is good. It's not as bulky as the TransFirmer and easier to use than the Wave. Another plus is that the Zip Trainer could be used with other Firm workouts: lunges to the domes, standing on the domes during the squat sections, and more. There are many familiar Firm exercises in the kit.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 07:39 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

i have to say, this is the first FIRM set ever that has not tempted me.

And yet I find myself stalking this thread.
Old 09-18-13, 07:45 AM  
raeven

Sadly I've had my set since the 11th! I still have only been able to stalk and read about it. The cold that never went away ended up being bronchitis that I finally only just went to the doc for this past Monday. Sooooo I might attempt to just slowly follow along maybe today..to just get a feel for the moves and such. Maybe...I've been so dying to dive into this set! I haven't even previewed cause I knew I'd want to get up and do them and would only end up suffering for doing so hah!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 07:54 AM  
firmiewannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
i have to say, this is the first FIRM set ever that has not tempted me.

And yet I find myself stalking this thread.

LOL!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I wasn't a fan of their last set - too frantic for me. I'm interested reading the reviews to get a feel if it's the same for this set. The shortness of the workouts - eventhough they can be combined just doesn't wow me. I will wait and hope that the FIRM will come out with another set that's like the BSS sets. For now, I continue to use my current old FIRMs and stalk this thread for more reviews.
firmiewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 08:25 AM  
Becky

So I haven't done a FIRM workout in about 15 years. I loved the Classics in the 90's, and a few that came out after that, but have never tried the Wave or TransFirmer or any of the other FIRM offerings, so to be enticed to purchase this is a miracle in itself.

What drew me to purchasing it was the 15 minute workouts. I currently am doing TA Continuity and have been for over two years, but I burnt out on TA's cardio and literally have not done any cardio since April. I've decided to do the 60 day rotation as they have laid out in the Zip Trainer fitness guide. Today will be day 6, so I've done Sculpt 1, Cardio 1 and Amp Reps 1.

I am loving it. I find it challenging but doable. I also found the second time doing the workouts, they were a tad harder because once you get the move down, you can put more into it. And I love, love, love that the workouts are around 20 minutes with warm up and cool down. It's short enough to not have a dread factor, and I still have energy when I'm done to do TA.

I have to agree with Anne, that move in Amp Reps 1 with your knee on the dome in a runner's lunge is really awkward, and somewhat painful. I couldn't really focus on the arms / shoulders move because my hip flexor was killing me. But for the most part, I'm enjoying the other moves. There is so much you can do with the zip trainer! I especially love the stretches with it.

The little rubber piece of the zipper that you pull on, cracked in half the very first day, and I hadn't even done a workout with it yet. It's doesn't affect anything, and I think I'll just wrap some electrical tape around it before it breaks completely off, but I was a little disappointed. The rest of it seems to be pretty sturdy, but I suppose time will tell.

All in all, I'm quite pleased and am hopeful to have some results worth mentioning at the end of 60 days.

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows . ~ Buddha
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 03:53 PM  
pharma_gal

So I have done the Jump start, barefoot abs and Cycle 1 sculpt workouts. I am sorry to say that I am disappointed in these workouts. I am not counting Jump start but Barefoot abs did not have anything new. The sculpt workout is 15 mins (+5 mins of wu and cd) so a total of 20 mins and has around 3 or 4 bursts of 30s each to get your heart rate up. But what I didnt like is that I barely felt worked out even after using heavy weights (12's for heavy and 10's for medium). The reps are just not enough to feel anything IMO. Infact I like the sequencing of Stephanie's Powerfit better..even though they use the resistance band you feel worked out. And ofcourse I feel Firm Express is so much better than this system not only because there are more workouts but also the moves are better and you feel worked out. I was disappointed in the sculpt workout.

Anyways, I still have the remaining workouts to do and I will post later. I am going to do all the workouts this week including the bonus workouts.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm, firm zip trainer, firm ziptrainer, the firm zip trainer, zip trainer