Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-13, 03:07 PM  
shannonleigh23

FIRM ZipTrainer

I was asked on the PreSale thread to start a Review thread. Here is what I posted over there. I will update with my impressions of the other WO as I complete them

It is awesome, BTW

Before I go into my impressions, a bit about me:
I am a high intermediate/low advanced exerciser. My mainstays are The Firm and Tracie Long. I can do Cathe, but do not enjoy what her step work does to my Achilles. I find that the Firm and TL give me the perfect amount of fun and challenge, while giving me the physical results (body shape) that I prefer on me. I WO 6X/week about 30-60 min each day. My weights range from 5lb (low) to 10 lb (heavy) for TL/FIRM work. I am a 35 year old mom of 3.

My Impressions:
- Bursts remind me of FE (but longer and less impact)
- Core ball work with cardio reminds me of TL
- Loved that the ZipTrainer was used for step aerobics
- Loved that weight work was at a steady pace that did not feel frantic. You can really heavy up
- Music did not bother me. It was upbeat, fun

The DVDs are packaged in a box that is very similar to FE. There are 3 DVDs in the box( Rev, Peak, and Disc 3). Rev contains Cardio 1, Sculpt 1, and AMP 1. Peak contains Cardio 2, Sculpt 2, and AMP 2. Disc 3 contains Jump Start (on YouTube) and Barefoot Abs.

The DVDs:
Thank the Good Lord that Gaiam has actually listened to us and created a completely programmable DVD. The very short, sweet "I am Gaiam" will pop up, but will be followed by a menu where you can play one of the WO or create your own. I chose to create my own today and selected from the Rev Disc: Cardio Warm Up, Cardio 1, Strength 1, Cardio Cool Down.

The WOs:
Each of the Main WOs have 4 Bursts. These are 30 seconds. You will hold the core or ZipTrainer during the Bursts (at least I did today on both Rev WOs). My max HR was in the high 170s in these. That felt tough but doable to me. I burned a total of 355 cal in about 35 min. Ave HR was 160, max 185. (Just wanted to give you an idea of difficulty- I usually burn about 200 cal for one FE WO. I am well aware that these numbers are based on my body composition and fitness level. Just trying to help some of you out with my perceived intensity).

The Instructors:
Rev: Allie, Stephanie, Emily (I believe another has explained who leads what). One does show beginner modifications and one does show advanced.
Peak: Alison, Annie, Kelsey

The ZipTrainer:
It is very well constructed. You use it to step on, hold, etc. It is easy to open/close. The one issue I can see as being a prob is that if you are sweaty, it is a bit tough to grip. I put mine on a textured yoga mat and had NO problems with it slipping. My zipper was also fine and did not feel flimsy.

Extra:
Nutrition Guide
Fitness Guide (with schedule and directions on how to create your own WO from menu)
I ordered Ultimate Package, so I got a 7 lb core ball and Upper/Lower DVD (I have not previewed yet).

Otherwise...
I was EXTREMELY happy with this set/product today. I obviously have a lot more to view/try, but IMHO it was well worth the $$.

I hope that helps
Shan
Old 09-07-13, 03:36 PM  
aquakat

Thanks for the review! I am eager to get mine.

Ali
aquakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 03:58 PM  
shelleyann

Thanks for the review. Keep them coming. I'm sure this was mentioned, but how any workouts are there in this series? Thanks~

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 04:31 PM  
JEWEL659

This is a wonderful review! Now I know what to expect. Thanks!
Old 09-07-13, 05:27 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyann View Post
Thanks for the review. Keep them coming. I'm sure this was mentioned, but how any workouts are there in this series? Thanks~
There are 9 workouts on 5 DVDs. I'm not counting the Jump Start workout which is more instructional.
Old 09-07-13, 07:07 PM  
ellaenchanted

Crap, I said I wanted to wait until the price comes down. I need to step away from these threads.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 07:10 PM  
pharma_gal

What is the suggested rotation on this? Thanks.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 07:39 PM  
Cowgirl32

I caved -sigh- .... :P
Old 09-07-13, 08:27 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
Crap, I said I wanted to wait until the price comes down. I need to step away from these threads.
If I were you, I would wait now. It's $160 or $144 for club members.
Old 09-07-13, 08:35 PM  
daisyduke

How long are the workouts? Thanks.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm, firm zip trainer, firm ziptrainer, the firm zip trainer, zip trainer