Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-11, 11:38 AM  
Carol K

Yes, even though Cathy is a Gaiam employee now, I know this wasn't her decision. I always make a distinction between her and the Firm instructors, who actually care about the Firm, and the Gaiam marketing people.
Old 09-09-11, 03:45 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I have done at least 5 or 6 workouts led by Emily and she has never bothered me before. So this was a bit of a surprise. Too bad it sounds like the best workouts are done by Rebekka, my least favorite current Firm Instructor.

The site for the dvd download is on the back of the dvd case, which I don't have handy.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 04:39 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
And stop freaking telling me not to be lazy..
OMG I did this for the first time last night and totally agree!! She must have said "don't be lazy" like 3-4 times in the 20 minute workout. I'm like, "if I were that lazy, I wouldn't be here doing this workout!" Jeesh! Am I right?

It's like she's trying to channel Jillian's drill sargeant demeanor, but instead of being pushy+motivating, she's pushy+critical! I understand, and enjoy, a little spunk (I love Jillian), but I don't want to be berated when I'm working out!

She didn't do this in any of the Pink Firms, to my knowledge (I've tried most of them). She seems a lot tougher than she used to be.

I also agree she talked every minute of the 20 minute workout. It made me wonder when she had time to breathe!
Old 09-09-11, 04:57 PM  
eaocon

Quote:
She must have said "don't be lazy" like 3-4 times in the 20 minute workout.
To be fair, she's not saying don't be lazy, she's reminding you that you are not being lazy during the 12 second breaks.

FWIW, I love the whole series!
Old 09-11-11, 02:02 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaocon View Post
To be fair, she's not saying don't be lazy, she's reminding you that you are not being lazy during the 12 second breaks.
yeah, but she also reminded you during the hinge-row move and also during mountain climbers. How can you be lazy doing mountain climbers? She didn't bother me, though. I just did my thing and moved on to the next workout. I didn't know the workout with Alison had twists and pivots. I'm usually choreographically challenged but this was super easy to pick up on. I used an 8 lb dumbbell for the workout, but next time I'll use my 10 pound kettlebell.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 05:05 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
I had preordered this from Amazon. Not sure exactly when it came in the mail, but I did it yesterday.

This gets a very mixed review from me. Both of these workouts seemed much easier than the previous 2 on the first workout dvd from the Firm Express Series. Not necessarily a bad thing. I kept going with the bursts through many of the breaks- and I was making sure I did not go anaeorobic as it wasn't my day for that! I'm an int/adv exerciser and I found the first dvd to be nicely challenging. It may be that those just had more weight work while moving and i went heavier.

Alison's workout was typical int level Firm. She was pleasant and nothing stood out as good or bad.

Emily on the other hand- OMG, I usually like her but she really needed to SHUT UP (and in my house we don't use these words!!!!). Not only did she not stop talking for one dang second- she talked as fast as she could- got in twice as many words as a normal person. And stop freaking telling me not to be lazy. Thankfully, none of this workout is overly complicated and she will be MUTED!

Verdict, don't bother. Get the Firm Calorie Explosion - much better workout. Or just download the 10 minute metabolism starter- great hard workout, with lots of blasts.
I DO NOT like Emily at all; she's a freaking spazz and is very hard on the ears. It's like watching/listening to someone in fast-forward mode. She used to be someone I liked, there was a time when she was more calm. But in the recent years OMG, she became unbearable.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 11:52 AM  
eaocon

Quote:
yeah, but she also reminded you during the hinge-row move and also during mountain climbers. How can you be lazy doing mountain climbers?
I did Ignite Sculpt yesterday and I heard that and I was like, "Huh...the other poster was right. She does say 'Don't be lazy!'"....I guess I was good at tuning her out!
Old 09-12-11, 11:57 AM  
CharM

I think I only noticed because it was mentioned here. What bugs me more is, "listen up" and "listen to me". I don't know why, but it grates on my nerves. It's one of the reasons I didn't like Stephanie's Powerfit Plus.

eta:
I did both workouts from turbocharge yesterday, and I thought they were ok, not super challenging, so imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to find my glutes and the left side of my back sore!
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 12:48 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
I DO NOT like Emily at all; she's a freaking spazz and is very hard on the ears. It's like watching/listening to someone in fast-forward mode. She used to be someone I liked, there was a time when she was more calm. But in the recent years OMG, she became unbearable.
I have to admit that of late she holds no charms for me either.

Re: her "lazy" comments, I'm sure she's just trying to motivate while being cute. I think cuteness has always been her trump card (i.e. she's the Firm's 'cute tiny instructor'), but I don't think it's working for her. She would do better slowing down and being much, much calmer. I'm sure she's capable of radiating polished maturity, instead of that zany 'anime character' vibe she gives off. (She's not 18 any more, kwim?)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 01:01 PM  
BarbV

I don't care for these new Firm workouts. I feel like it's a very gimmicky structure and they were just trying to create a "system" like everyone these days. I'm hoping it's just a phase and they will go back to the longer form workouts. The pink Firms are among my very favorite workouts -they are 45 minutes long and generally intermediate workouts. If I'm feeling energetic I can add 10 or 20 minute segments from other workouts afterwards. I do Total Body Time Crunch and Pump, Jump and Jab at least once a week. Bring back the pinks! Bring back the pinks
BarbV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm, the firm, turbo charge weight loss