Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-20, 12:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Fun Thursday Thread - what was your very first step workout?

for me it was a library VHS video - Gin Miller's The Video from Step Reebok.

i was a lifelong jogger. jogging in the afternoons. i needed a workout intense enough that i could do in the early mornings before work. i wasn't about to go running at 4 AM due to safety concerns.

after doing Gin's workout, i thought my legs were going to fall off - it was challenging! from there, i borrowed another step video - i think it was kathy smith.

i recently did Gin's Simply Step for the first time, and for you Gin fans, it's a good one. simple, easy to follow, but my shirt was drenched afterward.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 12:32 PM  
Demeris

My first step workouts were at the health club where I swam. This must have been the very early 90s. Maybe '91?

I had been a runner but switched from running to step because it seemed more time-efficient (and way more social).

My first step video was a Cathe video that came with the step. I'm not sure when this was. Perhaps a Cathe aficionado will know when those were marketed together.

I switched from step to rebounder a few years later.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 01:01 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

What a great question!

My first step video was also a library VHS. It was the first Kathy Smith step workout. I had been taking classes as a local rec centre for a few months, back in the late 90s. I was so impressed with myself that I was able to complete all 3 segments, including the third "advanced" segment! At the time, I thought that was the peak of athletic accomplishments. Little did I know what else was out there - imagine my reaction at my first Cathe!

My library also had a copy of Candace Copeland's Step Ahead,which was probably my second step video.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 01:05 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Jane Fonda's Step Workout with the mini-step. I felt so proud the first time I could do it with both risers!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 01:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

The first one I can remember sticking with was Body Tech by Kari Anderson. I did that one forever and it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 01:14 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
The first one I can remember sticking with was Body Tech by Kari Anderson. I did that one forever and it.
Laura, this is my all-time favourite workout! I still do it very regularly, probably a couple of times a month.

It was also my transition in more advanced choreography. There is one move about which she says that it may take us a month to learn, but that it would be so worth it. That was an eye-opener for me - that it was completely okay to not grasp a move right away, and that it was something I could practice and learn over time. She was right - it was worth it!

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 01:58 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

My first step workouts were at a fitness club in the early 90's. One hour of up up, down down, tap switch for an entire song, then we moved to V-steps, then maybe alternating knees? All on a 10-inch step!

In the late 90's I relocated and a new friend/colleague gave me the Cathe pamphlet and I ordered a few VHS tapes. Step Heat was in that original order with some others. I've acquired and traded away several over the years, so I'd say Step Heat was the first recorded workout, but it could have been one of the others in that original order.
Old 10-01-20, 01:59 PM  
sbh

My first step workout that I purchased was Keli Roberts Ultimate Step. It came with a step bench and four risers. I bought it for the step bench. I was practicing for my AFAA certification and afterwards I used it to practice choreography for my step classes. I still have it and use it.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 02:30 PM  
angie_nrs

Gosh, that was a long time ago! But, if I recall correctly, it was All Step by Cathe. I remember how frustrated I was trying to figure out the moves. That just seems hilarious to me now since I have mastered pretty much all of Cathes step routines and All Step is not that complicated. Shortly after mastering All Step, I slowly added in the Step Reebok videos and added more Cathe videos. It's been quite a journey from there......
Old 10-01-20, 02:43 PM  
wendug

i don't remember the title of the workout, but it was by Tamilee Webb. She alternated between step and abs/pushups. I think she was wearing a hat? Maybe one of the Buns of Steel workouts? Definitely from the 90s though.

Tags
first videos, first workout, first workouts, step, step workouts