Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-20, 07:18 PM  
DCW

Thinking out loud.

Have you contacted HR (not your supervisor) and officially ask for an accomodation due to health/disability?

HR managers knows the facts and your supervisor may not know about it.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 05:48 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I just found out I will probably have to return to the office in 3 or 4 weeks. I have to admit the thought of returning has me in a bit of a panic. I was planning on retiring by the end of the year anyway, I just wanted to have a solid year of earnings to build up my social security benefit and save so we can relocate to California. I sent an e-mail to the HR rep to see if there were any accommodations given for people over 60 and she replied no, not for anyone.

I would like to know your thoughts. Do you think it's foolish to return and possibly risk my health?
I don't know what your office environment will be like? Many offices are preparing for reopening by making a lot of changes for social distancing. If your office is one of these, I personally would return and do the financial planning that I had originally intended. I'm hoping to get back to the office two days per week next month, as per my schedule before the shutdown. But I work for a hospital and temperatures are taken at every entrance and masks are handed out. Also, most of my team works from home fulltime anyway and I will have an entire aisle to myself.
Old 06-10-20, 06:05 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

From what you've written, it sounds like you want to retire because of the person you work with, and COVID is secondary. I think you need to be honest with yourself and ask yourself if you want to go back and deal with this person. If not (and you can afford it) then the answer would be to retire. As others have said, it seems odd your company is not making accommodations for COVID so if you do want to stay until December, then maybe you should double check with someone in HR to be sure what that person told you is true.
Old 06-10-20, 07:41 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I know a lot of people (I'm talking about people in my real life) say to wait until full retirement age so you'll get the biggest SS distribution. But there is no guarantee you will live to full retirement age plus that's 5 years of SS checks that you aren't receiving. That could be $60,000, $80,000, $100,000 you didn't collect. I've read where you would have to live into your 80s to make up that lost income. Just something else to consider.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 07:54 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I know a lot of people (I'm talking about people in my real life) say to wait until full retirement age so you'll get the biggest SS distribution. But there is no guarantee you will live to full retirement age plus that's 5 years of SS checks that you aren't receiving. That could be $60,000, $80,000, $100,000 you didn't collect. I've read where you would have to live into your 80s to make up that lost income. Just something else to consider.
Thank you for that alternative viewpoint on the subject.

My biggest concern, though, is our health benefits from my job. I don't qualify for Medicare for five years so there's no way I could retire early. But given Summer's thoughts, maybe I won't stay much beyond reaching Medicare eligibility.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 08:05 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
People in my family live into their 90s, so I plan to wait until 70 to collect social security. But I'm also planning on working until then too, if possible. I like to work.
Old 06-10-20, 08:14 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
I agree. I crunched the numbers and quickly found out that my break even point would be when I was something llike 80+ years old. I took SS when I was 62 and I've never looked back.
Old 06-10-20, 08:42 AM  
laurajhawk

I'm 56 and planning to retire at 58. I read a lot of articles explaining how I need to wait until I'm as old as possible to retire because I'll have more money then (SS and savings). I don't think they understand that I want to retire because I don't want to work! And I want to be young enough and healthy enough to enjoy not working. My retirement won't be all travel and luxury, but I'll be able to hike (I live in Colorado), work out, read, and spend time with my husband (who's already retired) and my pets.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 08:45 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I agree. I crunched the numbers and quickly found out that my break even point would be when I was something llike 80+ years old. I took SS when I was 62 and I've never looked back.
I plan on taking SS when I'm 62. I've worked for it since I was 16 years old. If I invest it, I can probably make up the difference on the "benefit" amount received if I waited until full retirement age.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 09:03 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
People in my family live into their 90s, so I plan to wait until 70 to collect social security. But I'm also planning on working until then too, if possible. I like to work.
My mom passed away last August at 98. Most of her siblings lived well into their 80s and 90s. No guarantees though. But liking to work is definitely a nice perk . Me, I'm loving not working. lol
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, career advice, coronavirus, covid-19, job application, retirement