Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-14, 08:20 AM  
sunday

I read Cracked all the time and love it! However, it is first and foremost a humor site that uses a small amount of truth on which to base its articles. It usually takes something and adds a good spin to it. I would not take anything Cracked says as literal, gospel, or well researched journalism, and I am a fan!

That having been said, I know that crap like that goes on to a certain extent. I read right here on the boards a while back about one person who was involved in a before/after with a fairly famous instructor and her method, and the person would post (quietly within their regular checkin) that they were told to eat as much as possible before the program began so their weight loss amounts would look more amazing.

Plus with any of those info-merical programs, diet is THE key. Without carving the fat off, it doesn't matter what a person does because you won't see the results.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 11:08 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I remember seeing a demonstration online or on TV once - showing 'before' and 'after' pictures taken moments apart. The person looked a lot different. The point was that clothing, posture, etc. can make a big difference and that various techniques like that are used to promote all kinds of products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I remember that! It was an online article written by a male trainer, which was linked here shortly after I joined VF.
I found it! Here's trainer Andrew Dixon's "Seduced by Illusion: The Truth About Before and After Photos."

(Now, as the daughter of journalists, I feel I must point out that we have no more evidence that Dixon is telling the truth about HIS photos, than that any infomercial is. But it makes for a thought-provoking counterpoint, at least. We also know that the advertising industry manipulates photos to make models look thinner and more attractive, so there's a precedent here that makes this completely believable.)

Tags
firm, firm express