Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-21, 10:40 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question What have you learned about yourself and life in general in the past year?

I know this is a personal question. Some things really don't need to be shared on a public forum. But, I have been thinking about this a lot as we pass the anniversary of the start of a worldwide pandemic.

In general I've learned that:

I've been socially-distancing for decades. The pandemic changed little for me in that regard.

I'm even more of an introvert than I had previously suspected. In fact, seeing how horribly some folks have behaved during the pandemic has made it worse.

Senior citizens are so undervalued in society.

Living in an earthquake/wildfire area, I was actually fairly well prepared in regard to supplies. (Of course, NO ONE could have foreseen that toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!)

I have found some YouTube fitness instructors that I enjoy.

I have so much more gratitude about having food and shelter in this dreadful time.

Speaking of gratitude, I already knew that VF was a really important part of my life. This past year it has been invaluable!

What have you learned this year about yourself and life in the past year?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 11:22 AM  
Gams

I always hear people talk about the kindness of strangers, but I’ve been more surprised by the rudeness of strangers. I have had total strangers walk up to me and tell me I look stupid wearing a mask. I don’t understand why they would even comment. When one guy told me I looked stupid in my mask, I thought I’d try a little humor so I said, “Well, I figure wearing a mask is cheaper than a face lift.” He said, “Well, you still look stupid.” I don’t understand all the hostility toward total strangers.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 11:24 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I always hear people talk about the kindness of strangers, but I’ve been more surprised by the rudeness of strangers. I have had total strangers walk up to me and tell me I look stupid wearing a mask. I don’t understand why they would even comment. When one guy told me I looked stupid in my mask, I thought I’d try a little humor so I said, “Well, I figure wearing a mask is cheaper than a face lift.” He said, “Well, you still look stupid.” I don’t understand all the hostility toward total strangers.
WOW. At least when you take your mask off, you'll look normal, while he'll ALWAYS be stupid.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 12:15 PM  
warriorprincess

I've learned to not just accept that I'm retired now, but to revel in it. When you figure the first couple of decades of life, you're in school, and for the next few decades you're working, this is the first time that all my time is my own. I have learned so many maintenance things around the house and yard, new ways of cooking, online classes, great podcasts and audiobooks, so many things. I am grateful for so many things.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 02:27 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:

Gams
, geez, what a doofus he was!

Didn't you also have endure a theft? We had two guys bang on our front door a few months ago. I never answer the front door, and as I looked out the peephole, I saw a guy stealing an ornament off of our porch. I ran outside and yelled at them, but they just drove off laughing. I'm so glad I didn't open the door. It could have turned into a home invasion.

I haven't witnessed much of "the kindness of strangers" in person. Maybe because I've been hiding in my home much of the time. There have been some wonderful stories on the news that give me a bit of faith in humanity. I have had some of the medical professionals be kinder and gentler than usual.

I've been impressed at some instructors who have put up free or low-priced content. At one point, Jenny Ford sold ten of her Walk Across America downloads for only $1.

Verizon gave everyone 15G of free bandwidth for one month. That was a lot more than I had with my old plan.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 02:59 PM  
DCW

Myself, glad for family and friends, and the kindness of strangers. Life is too short.

Other folks. Some are filled with love and others are not filled with love.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 08:05 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
I've learned to not just accept that I'm retired now, but to revel in it. When you figure the first couple of decades of life, you're in school, and for the next few decades you're working, this is the first time that all my time is my own. I have learned so many maintenance things around the house and yard, new ways of cooking, online classes, great podcasts and audiobooks, so many things. I am grateful for so many things.
THIS except the home maintenance part!

I have finally figured out it is okay to just be. Yes, I like to accomplish things but don't feel pressured anymore and my accomplishments now are things I enjoy. Obviously I don't regret working or raising my family but this "free" feeling is wonderful.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 09:19 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Isn't it awful? I had a jerk in a pickup truck literally follow me as I was walking through the Stop & Shop parking lot and he was yelling profanities at me. I told him to go F off. Numerous other incidents where I live against people and businesses that I won't go into.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 09:31 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

So as for the things COVID has taught me about myself:

Maybe I’m not quite as introverted as I thought?

I need to work, and am so scared to death of losing my job (my job can’t be done at home) that my co-workers and I banded together and begged to be allowed to work in the office again, with lots of restrictions. I don’t think I can ever fully retire, I’ll need something to get up and go to on a part-time basis, even if it’s volunteer work.

I learned that cloth masks are actually wonderful for outdoor activities when it’s cold out and I’ll continue to wear one when winter walking.

I discovered just how much I really love the gym. I was going nuts without it. That said, I hope that every other cardio machine being offline stays that way forever.

I decided to permanently give up on “hairdos” and am growing my hair out to COVID length again.

I was always kind to store clerks but now I’m doubly appreciative of them.

I realized just how important my book club is to me (a/k/a The Book Thugs as my DH calls us). I’m heartbroken that the club is fizzling out because of library closures and the shutdown of our inter-library loan system. We have a hard and fast rule to explore what's on the library shelves instead of having to buy new books.

I learned how to use less sheets of toilet paper.

And finally, I learned that ZOOM is a real suck-fest.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 01:17 PM  
warriorprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I learned that cloth masks are actually wonderful for outdoor activities when it’s cold out and I’ll continue to wear one when winter walking.
THIS! While pressure cleaning mold off the fence, I wore the mask and it was great. I started mowing the lawn this year as well, and wow, it throws up so much dust and debris that I don't think I'll ever do it again without a mask.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, getting to know you, introversion, introverts