Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-27-22, 05:05 PM  
manleym

Charleston - Hubby and I are supposed to sit down this weekend and get everything booked. But we were supposed to do it last weekend and didn't get around to it. I'm concerned with how expensive everything might be and that we waited to late to get into any good restaurants. But there's always another time if it doesn't work out this summer.

Cataddict I forgot to mention that I don't have a Bosu, so I did Seasun's Bosu Blast workout on a step. I'm not sure what I was thinking, because I was a sweaty mess afterwards, and remember those fast toe taps on the step, so I know it was tough. Maybe I was thinking the choreography would be harder than it was. I'm glad it wasn't, but my thoughts of it not being that intense don't match up with the workout. The neurons aren't connecting. Agree that Iron doesn't seem as daunting as some of Caroline's other workouts. And in my delusional world my 15 lb weights are only 2 less than Caroline's 17 kg weights. Same, same. HA! More like wish, wish!!

Horusosiris I'll be curious to read which CIA workouts you do next week and your thoughts on them. It's always nice to revisit some good, tried-and-true workouts. And I'll be reading your (and anyone else doing Fuel) posts since I won't be starting it until we get back from vacay. I'll probably start the 13th.

Today's workout:
Trim Max - I spent 3-4 hrs trimming & weeding. I found all the scratches on my arms when I got into the shower. Yikes! I also did Cathe's Great Glutes Extreme. I have always, and still do, really like this workout. But I like all of the "no name series" 2013 workouts. Finished with Bendy Body Legs & Hips + Backbends. That woman is gumby! I'm not even close to being as flexible as she is, but it was good going deeper into the stretches and opening up. My body needed it.

Hugs and waves everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-22, 11:23 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Chele - The only plans I have are a brunch today with my MeetUp group. Maybe binge watching some more Amazon shows over the weekend.

bee - Keep us posted on the interview! When I lived in SF, I took a streetcar and a bus to get to work. More relaxing than driving.

cataddict - Have you tried Lidocaine patches for pain? I only recently started using them for my hip and am surprised at how effective than can be. They really take the edge off.

manleym - The covid numbers had been going up again here. They are back to wearing masks in schools. I still wear mine when I go to some stores or the pharmacy. I've never been to Charleston. It is supposed to be lovely.

Thursday, I did Lee Holden's Qi Gong for Better Balance (long version). I really enjoy this one! He does some mobility work as well as balance moves.

Yesterday, I had a PR mileage walk of 6.22 miles. It was a partly overcast day with cooler temperatures.

ETA: This is my longest walk. A million years ago, my longest hike was about 13 miles. I'm thinking those days are way over!

Have a great weekend everybody!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-22, 04:44 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Happy Long Weekend!

I suspect I'm not getting that job. I don't think I impressed that guy yesterday at all. It was a zoom thing, and halfway through he turned off his camera -- it was so awkward! I was sitting there on camera talking to a blank screen. Ug! I liked the other people I talked to but this guy just made me stressed. At any rate.... if I got the job, I think I'd be driving, though they have an apartment I could stay in if I want to. Funny enough, when I lived in San Francisco and commuted south, I did mostly take the train. It was a wonderful way to get to work! I slept or read and then there was a shuttle at the work end. These days they have wifi on the trains, so I'm sure people are extending their workday that way.

Vintage the weather is crazy great, isn't it? I love it when it's not so hot and baking, but it almost looks like it's going to rain today. So strange!

Re: covid numbers.... this morning a friend told me that our area is either the fastest growing covid numbers in the country or maybe just highest overall -- I'm not sure. I hope you remain healthy, manleym. Well, I hope everyone does, but since there was a chance of exposure for her......

cataddict, it's great that you've figured out how to modify -- and it seems like it's not all that much you need to modify.

Vintage/Chele/anyone else with an apple watch.... I had something funny I thought I'd amuse you with. Yesterday my son was doing a really long high pitched scream and I looked at him like he was crazy (because he is) and he said "What? It's R2D2" and I said I never heard R2D2 scream and he proceeded to tell me that I'm crazy, it's such a meme, etc. He showed me a clip and I was amazed at how much he can sound like R2D2 and also amazed that I had completely forgotten this aspect of R2D2. At any rate, later something funny happened I did tried to do the scream with my arms waving like the Lost in Space robot, and suddenly my apple watch went crazy. "It looks like you have fallen. Place emergency call?" Have you ever had that happen? That was new for me, but that was my first attempt at imitating R2D2. Perhaps the last, as well.

This morning after an extended waking up I did what might be my last Iron workout. It was #29, the full body. Technically there is one more workout that's some sort of upper body, but it seems odd to end on that -- does anyone else think so? I feel like it should end on a full body. Plus I think the first Fuel will be out Monday, maybe? So I could start that right away. I dunno.... we'll see. Not finishing Iron seems wrong too. Oh, I warmed up with Body Max 2 today -- step -- so much fun! I would love to do an hour of her step warm ups as a steady state / easier day workout. Anyway, made me want to do some step workouts.

Ok, I've babbled long enough. Waves to everyone!!
Old 05-28-22, 08:13 PM  
Mickey12

Bee I love your babbles. Hahaha. The story about your Apple watch is really funny. I don’t remember R2D2 screaming either, I will have to look it up. Sorry your interview didn’t go as well as you hoped. I think it’s pretty rude for the interviewer to turn off his screen. What was that about? I didn’t know you were in the job market. Care to share what type of job you are seeking?

Manley that bobcat on your wall was spectacular!

Alta I hope you enjoyed your brunch. I’m so proud of you getting out there.

I ordered Jessica Smith’s bundle of new workouts and two of them arrived. I did the upper body workout on Split Sessions Strength last night. I’m not in love with Jessica’s strength workouts in general so the fact that this one didn’t wow me is no surprise. She keeps the pace fairly slow and I kept thinking if she picked it up or did both arms at the same time I could be done with the workout so much quicker. I think I will like the cardio workouts more.

Today I cut some of the yard with the push mower for about an hour so that was my workout.

We went to see Top Gun Maverick with my husband’s cousin and his wife then out to dinner afterwards. The movie was great. I love those jets! So cool! Dinner was very yummy too. I had haddock with pesto cream sauce, broccoli and baked potato. Delish.

I don’t think we’re doing anything special for Memorial Day. We usually go to my sister-in-law’s house for a cookout but we may be staying home this year. I’m fine with that too. I just enjoy having a day off work.

I planted a few flowers in planters and put them on the deck. They look pretty. I like the look of flowers in the yard but I don’t enjoy the work or upkeep so this way, at least I have a few in pots. It’s more manageable that way.

We saw our first fawn of the season yesterday morning. OMG, so stinking cute! He was with mama at the edge of our backyard. Nursing a little then he took off prancing around. It was adorable.
Old 05-29-22, 08:00 AM  
ChelePA

Hi Mickey12!!! So happy to "see you". I have heard only positive reviews about Top Gun Maverick. I have never done a Jessica workout. Hoping you like the cardio! The fawn sighting sounds beautiful!

VVfer...how was your brunch? I am always impressed with your walking distances!

Bee...any reason why his camera went off? Did he tell you or was it a connection problem? How odd!!!! Will you look for another job if this isn't the one?

My husband Facetimed me during the wedding. It was beautiful. Longest one I have ever "attended". It was around 1 hour and 45 minutes. Thank goodness the bride was on time. The priest had lots to say

Not sure what possessed me yesterday...maybe manleym's weeding and trimming workout, but I decided to tackle our grass. It was out of control. We could probably cut it every few days with all the rain and sunshine lately. My husband or daughter didn't have time before they left for the wedding. I thought it's just like walking except of course, it's not...haha. Plus there is a small hill on the backside of our lawn. Well I did it after several hours and many breaks. Hoping my foot/leg don't feel it today. A recovery workout is on the schedule this morning.

Happy Sunday!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 10:12 AM  
Mickey12

Oh, Chele I hope you didn’t overdo it with the grass mowing. You’re such a fighter. You’re right about the grass lately, it’s growing so fast. Our neighbor boy cut ours while we were in Disney or it would have been a foot tall when we got back.
Old 05-29-22, 11:53 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello all!

I did Caroline's Iron #5 followed by another Kat workout. I wish that Chris Dorner recorded workouts like Kat does---voiceover rather than live. I can only take a small dose of the constant shoutouts and conversation---just my preference. Yesterday I did CL #378 Warrior 2. I enjoyed it--not too much modification required and it was good to see Cathe and "the gang." I do wish that Ro (?) was back in the main line of sight rather than Jen from the DVDs. Ro just seems more real to me as she doesn't seem so conscious of being in front of the camera. I think that Jen is now so used to filming DVDs she acts differently than the others who see it as a regular class. Al was in this one! Sending vibes to Cathe that he is included in the upcoming series!

I know I just started Iron but I'm seriously considering jumping to Fuel. I read Caroline's description and it just looks good! I think I will try it for a week and then if I prefer Iron I'll just go back to it. Like Kate says, **SQUIRREL!!** Who else is starting Fuel tomorrow?

Mickey12, echoing ChelePA, so good to "see" you! Your comment about the jets made me smile, since because of where we live we see all different kinds of jets on a regular basis and to us they are no big deal at all. Your comment about the fawn made me nostalgic for where I grew up and deer were normal residents of the area. **sigh** I'd take the deer over the jets any day. So awesome you saw your "first" fawn. Do you see many?

TweenerW, I have tried the Lidocaine cream and it doesn't really help. The patches would be a better option if the pain was just in the back, but sometimes it's in the back of my upper legs, sometimes the back, sometimes the butt so I'd have a tough time figuring out where to put it. Fortunately it doesn't seem to bother me much when I'm sleeping (or I've just made adjustments--pillow under knees, rolled towel under my waist, etc). We do have some patches here so I may just try one when my back hurts. Thanks for the reminder!

bee, that's strange that you lost video when you were doing the interview. Who knows what was going on---maybe he was doing something that he didn't want you to see, or maybe he was seeing how you would react, or maybe he didn't realize it had been turned off? As to my modifications, it is taking an effort and I do miss the days of doing whatever and not being concerned that I may be hurting myself. It's a struggle sometimes but I am trying to be positive as there is so much that I still can do!

ChelePA, glad you got to "be" at the wedding even if virtually. Your comment about the length made me laugh. I went to a wedding years ago and the ceremony was well over an hour. I understand it's normal for some faiths to include quite a bit of readings and ritual in the ceremony, but I was pretty fidgety at that wedding after about 20 minutes.

manleym, I both laughed and breathed a sigh of relief when you said you didn't have a Bosu to do Bosu Blast. Let me tell you, the bosu made that workout no joke. The moves have to be pretty simple as so much balance is required it would make it pretty much impossible to do Seasun's complex choreography that she does on her step only workouts. I did BB once on the step and there was no comparison in intensity.

horusosiris, I've also seen Cathe wear the same outfit in the Lives, and I think she wore one I recognized from a DVD. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally.

Waves and hugs to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 12:06 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

bee - OMG about the interviewer turning off his screen! What the ???

R2D2 Scream! OK, I've played it a few times and am LMAO!

Re: the Apple Watch. I've only had the Fall Detection go off once. I was just walking down the hall and it went off. I have no idea what that was about.

Mickey - The brunch was OK. I think I do better doing activities as opposed to sitting there eating. I've just joined another women's MeetUp group also.

A fawn sighting. I'm jealous!

Chele - I hope you aren't sore from Grass Max!

cataddict - I cut the lidocaine patches in half and put one in the front and one in the back.

Yesterday, I did the upper body sections from Joyce Vedral's Dynamic Tension. She actually goes fairly slowly (for Joyce).

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 12:42 PM  
ChelePA

Bee… I forgot to comment on your Apple Watch story. It gave me a good laugh. The only thing that turns on without me asking is when I move my arm a certain way, it automatically triggers Siri. Asking what I wanted.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 08:24 PM  
Mickey12

Cataddict we usually see fawns in the backyard several times during the spring. Sometimes they just hang out in the yard sitting under a tree. One year we had twins and they were really, really adorable.

Your story of having jets fly overhead reminded me of several years ago when an air show came to our local airport. The airport is very near where I work and while I was out for a walk at lunch some of the jets were practicing, I guess, and they were flying around overhead while I was outside. OMG, that was the coolest thing!!!! Then later in the day when I was back inside, they were flying around the building we could feel the whole building shake when they went by. Wow, it was such a neat experience.

And speaking of deer, my husband and I went to the cemetery last Saturday and planted geraniums at his family grave. His sister went today to visit and texted us a photo - all of the plants, flowers and leaves, have been eaten by the deer!!! There are only some poor little stumps and partial leaves where gorgeous, lush plants once were. She commented that at least the fresh mulch looked nice.

Chele how does your foot and leg feel today after cutting the grass?

I happened to come across a show on HBO called Gentleman Jack. It came out in 2019 I believe but it's currently playing again. Well, I'm really not sure if it has aired in the US before or not; it's a BBC production. It's based on the diaries of Anne Lister who lived in England in the 1830's. It's really compelling. I'm loving the period clothing and sets.

I did another Jessica Smith new workout today. This time I did the lower body split of Split Sessions Strength and I really liked it. I groaned out loud, though, when she said we were doing the opening sets of exercises THREE times. I really don't like repetition. But after that she didn't use the same format and only repeated some moves twice and some moves were only done once. I felt like the 45 minutes flew by and the workout didn't feel brutal, but I felt worked. I am looking forward to the rest of the DVDs in this new set.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend.

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in