Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-29-22, 04:44 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey Friends! Happy Friday! I have about 90 minutes left in my work week. It's been mostly fun. Some boring moments, but overall not bad.

You guys crack me up! HBO! I have no idea who you're talking about but it sounds like a tasty treat. .

Vintage, today is the 29th -- you're awful anniversary and I'm also sorry about what happened! I agree about not letting them near the second eye!

I will have to check out all the CL personalities mentioned. I'm not very good at remembering the regulars -- I think I haven't been "regular" enough myself yet. I don't even know what time she does the actual live workouts, but I am more of a morning person, so even though it's three hours earlier for me, it might actually be doable. I'll have to think about that one.

I will not be publishing a triceps foam rolling video any time soon, but I did try it. I also tried using a rolling pin because it seemed like it might be easier, but it's just not enough pressure (a PT recommended a rolling pin for my son's calves so it's been in the workout room for about three years now -- see how often I use a rolling pin in the kitchen? And honestly, if I need one, at this point maybe I should get a new one!!).

Manleym, that alternating upper/lower Caroline was a good one. She is trying to kill my shoulders this week. Phew. Today was supposed to be the hamstrings one after shoulders but I didn't get up in time (ok, who said she was a morning person?!). I'm thinking about doubling up that legs one with the following upper body one tomorrow. We'll see. That might just mess me up for Sunday though. I think the numbers are something like 16 and 17. For anyone who's following the Iron stuff!!

Definitely sounded like a wonderful birthday dinner, horusosiris, and I agree.... definitely wiser!!

Basketball playoffs are getting pretty good, aren't they? I'll be watching a little more now that it's getting narrowed down a bit.

Got to sneak off now.... waves to all!!
Old 04-30-22, 10:31 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

For you young 'uns who don't know...

The BeastMaster (1982)

The movie only has a 6.2 rating on IMDB. It was always be a 10 for me.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-22, 10:39 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Yesterday, I did Lee Holden's Qi Gong for Better Balance. It is really good.

I was reading about hip issues and read that walking on concrete was bad for the joints. That is the main walking I've been doing. The bike paths are asphalt which is supposed to be somewhat better. I'm wondering if that is what has been aggravating my hip issues.

Well, I have to do my walks or go nuts. I'll try to be more moderate. I do have good walking shoes.

I'm going to a MeetUp potluck brunch today. I can't cook so I bought stuff at Trader Joe's. I still feel odd attending these events. but I have to get out and meet people.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-30-22, 02:39 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I was reading about hip issues and read that walking on concrete was bad for the joints. That is the main walking I've been doing. The bike paths are asphalt which is supposed to be somewhat better. I'm wondering if that is what has been aggravating my hip issues.

Well, I have to do my walks or go nuts. I'll try to be more moderate. I do have good walking shoes.

I'm going to a MeetUp potluck brunch today. I can't cook so I bought stuff at Trader Joe's. I still feel odd attending these events. but I have to get out and meet people.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Long ago, I read about Chiwalking which is a diffrent way of aligning our body when walking. The creator claims that putting too much weight on our heels and leaning backward puts pressure on our knees and hips (I'm simplying here). I don't know what your hip problem is but you might want to take a look into that (there are many articles and videos on that). I might help you.

I hope you have a good time at your MeetUp brunch. I'm sure it will get easier as you get to know more people.
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-22, 07:15 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday!

Workouts: Yesterday was Attic Max (well, most of today too). We are having some work done and they will need better attic access so we had to look and see what was in there and get it organized. We've been in this house almost 20 years so we had no idea what was stuck up there. Fortunately we found a lot of empty boxes, some old furniture that we are giving away, and a bunch of Christmas decorations that every year we would forget we had and would buy more. It was a lot of work hauling stuff out of there, but we didn't have as much in there as we thought we did so that was good news. Today after we finished I did Cathe Live 292 Low Impact Cardio Muscle. The dr. said it's okay for me to do pushups and this one had plenty. Some I did on my knees and some on my toes. I'm being cautious since I need to be even more diligent about form.

manleym, I didn't really notice a difference between the Lives and the recorded Lives. I don't know what I expected to happen---maybe some crazy blooper that would be edited out before it was released? Didn't happen. I wasn't sure what to do to join the group and that threw me a bit, since there was a picture with a message that said "join us on May 5th for the next Live" and I thought to myself, "if I got up at dawn (for me ) and this week was canceled for some reason, I will be upset." But at 9:32 a button labeled "play" appeared at the bottom of the screen and Voila! There it was. Anyhoo, now I can say I've done a Live live.

FN1, I would never do a Live live if I wasn't in the same time zone, at least not one that would make it earlier. It was all I could do to get up at 8:48 a.m. and scramble around to be ready in time! I had a job years ago that I had to be there at 7am and it was hard, hard, hard. Blecch.

Nathalie, that is very interesting about Chiwalking. I sometimes have knee issues after walking for a long time so maybe there is something to it.

bee, you will notice familiar faces in the Lives before you know it. I've been doing several in the Era of Covid and Cathe is by herself and I did miss seeing the group. There are some that were in the very first ones and are still there years later---good for them and great incentive! Glad you like your temp job---it's probably nice for a change!

ToddlerW, okay I'm definitely not a youngun like some other Watulans, but I don't remember Beastmaster. LOL about Hey, Beastmasters On. Good for you for continuing to go to the Meetup functions. I bet you aren't the only one who feels uncomfortable. I agree with Nathalie that it will get easier. I'm sorry your walks seem to be causing some issues. I notice the same thing if I walk a lot. So annoying as I love walking outside!

Waving to Kim, Kate, Chele, horusosiris, and MamaW.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-22, 10:49 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Vintage, I am 60 and I have no recollection of The BeastMaster! Isn't it funny how some things that are big to some people just never are on the radar for others? I hope you enjoy your meet up! Sorry to hear about the hip issues. I'm wondering if it's maybe just an adjustment to increased amount of walking, and you'll work into it? Hoping that's it, but lavna may have a point about the chi walking. I read that book and couldn't figure out if I needed to adjust my form or not. I was left feeling like I needed a "chi walking coach" to watch me. Oh! I am just now thinking of this which is pretty funny given you had a thread about the Sketchers shoes recently..... I had trouble with my hip years ago, and I got some of those shoes that were the precursor to the Sketchers and it eliminated my hip pain. I can't even remember the name of those (expensive) shoes, but they helped and are still on my shelf though I haven't worn them in years.

cataddict, wow, AtticMax -- the thought of it exhausts me but you must be extremely happy to have done what you got done!!! It seems like those jobs are never really "finished" but boy it's great to see some progress! Good work on the pushups! I am still doing pushups on my knees. I don't know why but since the injury I am afraid to try on my toes -- I should just try it.

Yes, the temp job has been kind of fun actually, and I feel really safe with regards to covid. Everyone has to PCR test once per week, athletes twice per week. Every morning there is a "fever free" check though they are apparently doing away with that this coming week, and everyone is masked all of the time. It's nice feeling a bit of pre-pandemic life this way, and I'm getting used to recognizing faces with masks. It gave me an idea for a short story about a couple who meets during the pandemic and eventually meet up and remove their masks -- I think a better writer could make this subtly erotic. Ok, what is up with me lately with those kinds of thoughts?!

I did end up doing a double Caroline yesterday..... Iron 16 and 17. 16 was the hamstrings one. I actually cut that one a little short because my little pain in the broken butt has been whispering lately. I'm guessing it might be the extra sitting time I've had. 17 was upper body -- I really liked the variation she did with the moves. Take a move like chest press -- first time would be done slowly, second time would be a pause at the bottom, and then a third time would be done either regular speed or with 1/2 pulses, or something different. Again, she tried to kill my shoulders and I knew the finisher was shoulders and I told myself I wouldn't do it and I ended up doing it -- with five pound weights. It wasn't that bad in the end. A good workout overall!! I feel like these weeks I've had with Caroline are paying off in terms of my body sort of tightening up in a good way.

I am off to "you pick roses" with a friend. I keep joking that it's not "you pick noses". Hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday!!
Old 05-01-22, 11:33 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Nathalie - Thanks for the tip! I'll look in to the Chi walking.

bee - I am a major sci-fi, fantasy and horror film fan. On the other hand, I know nothing about sports (or cooking or gardening or... I could go on and on...).

I ordered a pair of Hokas.

My MeetUp was OK. There were lengthy discussions about Netflix shows I haven't seen. And reality shows, which aren't my cup of tea. I mentioned "Outlander" and nobody had seen it. I'm a bit eccentric, so it is hard to fit in. I'll keep trying!

I go to the board meeting of the Newcomers group on Wednesday.

Yesterday, I did a fun weight workout with Daniel - Resistance Fire. He sings in this one.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 05-01-22, 11:56 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Sunday, Watulans!

Where did I leave off? Oh, yeah, Friday was CL 352, Metabolic Weights and Loops. Definitely metabolic but she did also take quite a few breaks. The smiling lady was in this one with glasses and had a kid with her...also there was a man perhaps with them but not sure on that! Today I plan to do a Travis YouTube practice, Follow Your Bliss. And maybe a walk because it's beautiful outside.

VVfer, I love the BeastMaster story! And YES, I knew exactly what you were talking about!! But then I might have similar tastes as you...I LOVE Outlander (and the finale for this season is on today).

FN2, Attic Max sounds like a LOT of work! Good for you.

Nathalie, the walking stuff is very interesting! Thank you for sharing that.

Bee, glad you're enjoying the temp job!

Kim, this is weird but I had a dream about you last night...hope all is okay.

Waves to FOLV, Manleym, Horusosiris, ChelePA, and KateTT!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 10:37 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

It's Monday!

Yesterday, I did my 3-Mile speedy hill hike.

I'm doing the Lee Holden 30-Day Challenge in the a.m.

Waves and hugs to all!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 05-02-22, 11:57 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hello my friends...apologies for being MIA. This time work got me although I did have a wonderful day last Monday.
25th was Grandparents Day at my granddaughter Brezlyn's school (K-garten) and I had a blast. She's so bright! I ate lunch with her too and we played volleyball at recess. Made my whole week. Someone took our picture but I haven't seen it yet.

The rest of the week I pushed with Caroline and Epic 1 but I think I overdid it. Or else maybe hurt myself pruning fruit trees and hauling brush? Or both? Anyway my top left shoulder is angry so I took it easy Thurs and Fri.
So just did CG Tues and Wed then some moderate cardio on Thurs and Fri.

Started this week with Epic 1 Day 9 Full Body Workout Dumbells No Repeat. Seemed like mostly lower body and core but some upper. I found that when I am in forearm plank, that's when my shoulder hurts. So I modified some.

I was going to just pick and choose from Caroline's various workouts, but people on one of her FB pages says it's best to just work through one Program at a time. They are designed for specific results and less injury.
So I will continue on with Epic 1. I might skip tomorrows workout Day 10 which is all burpees...we'll see how my shoulder feels.

You guys sound awesome!! Really doing some great workouts! I am so proud of everyone no matter what level you're at. Well done girls!! Fierce!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in