Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-21, 10:06 PM  
schoolgirl-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i have a question about the lower pad that is left on the ground in the 4 video links that Schoolgirl provided in her post.

what is that pad for? is it just a landing pad for the resistance lever that goes up and down?

i saw a used one for sale and the upholstery on that lower pad has a cut in it, and the owner taped it with duct tape.
it's just a pad to protect your floor - it has no real exercise use.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 10:11 PM  
schoolgirl-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Thanks for posting the links to the full videos. You've saved me a bunch of money.

- Many of the exercises I can't do because of a bad lower back (bending forward that far and laying on my stomach, for example).
- Many of the exercises don't use the chair or use it just to hold on to (I have a barre).
- I think results can be achieved using bands, etc. - and I have achieved a lot with bands and Essentrics).

I'm sure it's a great piece of equipment, just not for me.
i'm glad that helped you make a decision. i got mine because of my back. i was scheduled for spinal surgery but it was cancelled because of the pandemic. the MRI showed 3 herniated discs, sciatic nerve pinching, spinal stenosis, and some arthritis.

since the surgery was cancelled i thought i'd give the chair a try. 4 months ago the doctor called me and said after one year he was ready to re-schedule my surgery but needed a new MRI.

the new MRI showed that my herniated discs were fixed and i no longer had a pinch sciatic nerve. i was not surprised since i didn't have back pain for months.

when he saw the new MRI he called and said i no longer needed surgery. it was a happy day. i contribute all that bending to fixing my back issues.
Old 09-14-21, 06:33 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Wow, schoolgirl! That's great!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-21, 12:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl-01 View Post
it's just a pad to protect your floor - it has no real exercise use.
thanks!

Quote:
when he saw the new MRI he called and said i no longer needed surgery. it was a happy day. i contribute all that bending to fixing my back issues.
This is fabulous! do you do the workouts that came with the Pilates Pro Chair (Jennifer Galardi) or just the youtube workouts?

what other workouts do you do? do you own a reformer?

i bought the workouts without the chair. i've been watching craigslist from time to time and have seen a few listings but have never pulled the trigger.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-21, 09:34 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Thanks for posting the links to the full videos. You've saved me a bunch of money.

- Many of the exercises I can't do because of a bad lower back (bending forward that far and laying on my stomach, for example).
- Many of the exercises don't use the chair or use it just to hold on to (I have a barre).
- I think results can be achieved using bands, etc. - and I have achieved a lot with bands and Essentrics).

I'm sure it's a great piece of equipment, just not for me.
very interesting

do you use bands during an essentrics workout? If so, please, tell me more
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-21, 05:59 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
here's a link to their streaming videos so you can see full length workouts

https://videos.pilatesprochair.com/
Thanks for the link! That looks really tough, says the woman who is a perpetual pilates beginner.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-21, 06:22 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
very interesting

do you use bands during an essentrics workout? If so, please, tell me more
No. I should have said "with bands and with Essentrics."
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-21, 07:45 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Heaven help me, I'm a about to buy a Pilates chair!
Hold me back. I swore off gadgets but this is awful tempting.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 01:15 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Squats and deadlifts are the kings of building leg strength, and maybe lunges, but progressive overload is key... and eating enough. Much heavier weights than what we usually use in video workouts. To really get strong, you need to lift so heavy that you have to rest a couple of minutes between sets to be able to repeat it. Unless you're young and still have the hormones of a mythical beast.

And I have serious pilates chair envy!
Ditto on both accounts-the heavier weights and the Pilates Chair. The main reason why I miss the gym is the access to heavier weights. I have built my strength up since my surgery last summer to the point that I need a power rack and heavy barbell to do deadlifts and also hip thrusts. I think my gym is open but I am still afraid of COVID. But yes you need more weight if you want to improve strength.

Quote:
i'm glad that helped you make a decision. i got mine because of my back. i was scheduled for spinal surgery but it was cancelled because of the pandemic. the MRI showed 3 herniated discs, sciatic nerve pinching, spinal stenosis, and some arthritis.

since the surgery was cancelled i thought i'd give the chair a try. 4 months ago the doctor called me and said after one year he was ready to re-schedule my surgery but needed a new MRI.

the new MRI showed that my herniated discs were fixed and i no longer had a pinch sciatic nerve. i was not surprised since i didn't have back pain for months.

Wow. It's great that you dodged the surgery. Now I really have Pilates Chair envy because I have lower back issues and my mother had spinal stenosis so I am afraid of it as well.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 01:31 PM  
schoolgirl-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Wow. It's great that you dodged the surgery. Now I really have Pilates Chair envy because I have lower back issues and my mother had spinal stenosis so I am afraid of it as well.
i was very hesitant too but a friend (physical therapist) said to give it a try that a lot of PTs use it for rehab of the back. the reformer doesn't always work for back problems because many can not lay down. the reformer allows for sitting/standing and the springs provide assistance with a lot of the moves.

check for used ones in your area, i got the chair real cheap used, i felt if it didn't work for me i could just resell it and not lose money since i didn't buy it used.

Tags
lower body, lower body results, lower body strength, malibu pilates pro chair, pilates pro chair, strength gains