Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-21, 06:33 AM  
Rhonda

Hits: I haven't bought anything new that are hits with me. I have continued to use my Peloton App now going on 109 weeks straight with at least one workout every day even if it is a 5 minute meditation. Definitely a hit with me.

KCM - in my second year and still going strong. I mainly use her for boxing, heavy bag work at least once a week.

Misses: I signed up for BOD and did 10 rounds all the way through but now it sits. I should have known as I am not a big beachbody person. I did like 10 rounds but haven't done it since I finished it. Not renewing.

Les Mills subscription - I do like it but don't seem to reach for it often so probably won't renew.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-21, 06:53 PM  
pharma_gal

This has not been a good workout year due to several health issues for me including my foot which continues to bother me.
But 2 hits for this year have been Sydney Cummings and the Aaptiv App.
No misses because I didn’t try anything new or buy much this year.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 10:46 AM  
kristiep

KCM – Raw Fitness Ladder DVD: I really like this. It’s a strength workout with Kelly and Nicole in the RAW workout space. I like that it is 3 rounds (ladder up, ladder down, ladder up) so you can do as many rounds as you have time for. Kelly shows modifications in round 2, so after you have done it a few times, you can modify up or down sooner. I usually go with 12s and 8s in the first round, then drop weight for certain moves in rounds 2 and 3. The vibe is relaxed, and it is a good total body workout with an emphasis on upper body.

Lauren Brooks free challenges: I am not a member of Lauren’s playground, but I joined her FB group and get emails from her. She has free challenges every couple of months or so. I like them as add-ons or even “warm-ups” depending on what I am doing that day. My favorite has been her Push-Pull-Swing. Saw lots of benefits with that, especially with my pushups on my toes. I also like the Glutes challenge she posted last week. Lauren has a great personality and her tutorials on KB swing form are very helpful.

JMW Junkies calendar: Not a heavy Facebook user, but I joined the JMW Junkies group late last year. (It used to be “Jillian Michaels Workout Junkies” but has been renamed “Just Move Workout Junkies” because participants/followers were incorporating workouts other than Jillian Michaels’s programs.) For several years, the moderators of the group have put together a 12-month calendar with weekly rotations of Jillian’s DVDs and app workouts (you pay a fee and receive a physical calendar). 2021 is my first year - I thought I’d give the calendar a try because I have most of Jillian’s workouts on DVD and had not done any for awhile. There are two suggested routines per day for 6 days a week (one rest day), but no one is policing you so you can work the calendar the way you choose. I started the last week of January 2021, and I was not sure I could commit so much time to one trainer. Here I am in September, and I am still sticking to the weekly rotations. There are free weeks where you can do your own thing so you get breaks from Jillian routines if you want/need them. I generally follow what they recommend but not always the two routines as sometimes I don’t have an hour to workout. Not a lot of weight loss, but I am not on a stringent eating plan so that may be why. I have seen some strength and mobility gains. The best things in using this calendar are:

• I am keeping up with my workouts on a calendar which I did not do before
• I am rediscovering workouts that I may have abandoned too quickly. Jillian does some crazy combo moves in her later programs which annoyed me. The calendar prompted me to give them a try at least of couple of times .
• I don’t have to think. My workouts are planned each day so that is what I do. (Free weeks have tended to coincide with a free Lauren Brooks challenge so I will do that combined with Riptensity, or maybe a week of KCM, Cathe, FIRM, yoga or Ellen workouts.)
• I found it easy to substitute if I did not have a Jillian DVD (I don’t subscribe to the app)
• I like the accountability on the FB page (optional, of course). They have contests here and there for goodies.

I am re-ordering for 2022. The calendar will be updated based on feedback from the FB group so I am interested to see what is new. The investment is reasonable for me ($29.99 for US) and I have the physical calendar to show for my purchase. That said, I do miss my other workouts so I am likely to be more flexible in how I use the calendar next year.

I have ordered a few workouts during Mary’s sales (used and new). Many are still unopened, but I will get to them eventually. They may be part of a 2022 hit/miss post.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-21, 09:11 AM  
laurawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
This has not been a good workout year due to several health issues for me including my foot which continues to bother me.
But 2 hits for this year have been Sydney Cummings and the Aaptiv App.
No misses because I didn’t try anything new or buy much this year.
I really like the Aaptiv App... just wish they had some more on video and also some longer workouts. But, most of the trainers are terrific... I love Akeem and Mary O, and Kenta, especially.
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-21, 08:52 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Hits:

Silver & Fit YouTube channel - definitely a great find for me. They release 8 to 10 live 30 minute workouts a day, 6 days a week - beginner level, intermediate level and advanced level workouts. Lots of variety - strength, cardio, flexibility/balance, yoga, dance, tai chi, and mixed format - which can be a strength/cardio combo, strength/flexibility combo, floor work, pilates type work, barre inspired exercises, etc.

Many different instructors including some instructors that I have heard of before - Madeleine Lewis, Keli Roberts & Stacey Lei. Some instructors and some workouts are better than others, but on the whole, it's a great resource for free 30 minute workouts that won't kill you as you age. I especially love the workouts filmed outside - whether outside in the Arizona heat, in steamy Costa Rica or sunny Mexico.

I just wish they would change the name of the channel! (I'm not silver)

Senior Shape YouTube Channel - barre, weight, pilates and some cardio workouts. One new workout a week. Lauren's workouts are super high quality, I think, for free YouTube workouts. Interesting exercise selection, calming music and voice. Although Lauren started the channel so that she could teach her seniors during the pandemic, her workouts are not just for seniors.

Misses: None yet.

Carol

Last edited by txhsmom; 09-29-21 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Edited to add Senior Shape
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-21, 09:00 PM  
Leonana

Carol, I think the name isn’t too bad. It says you may have grey hair, but you’re fit! I like it better than some other names for senior workouts.

They do have an impressive amount of workouts. I’m impressed with the instructor who has done outdoor workouts in Phoenix this summer!
Old 09-22-21, 09:07 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

That would be Penny. Yes, I think she lives in the Scottsdale area and she has mentioned from time to time about how hot the weather can get. I enjoy her workouts.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 10:33 AM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Hits:

Cathe Boss Bands and Loops workout--love portability of the bands. we travel a lot and these will come in handy.

Jessica Smith Lift and Shift

Various YouTube instructors--Yoga with Bird is good before bed (gentle stretches) and I really like Naomi Joy rebounding workouts.

I do bits and pieces of all the above workouts. I don't follow short rotations.

Miss: Get Healthy U subscription--don't get me wrong, I like Chris and some of the other instructors, but there are SO many workouts and they release them frequently. I think the site is kind of clunky. And I think some of the programs aren't properly laid out. I tried a beginning strength program (thinking I could get the dvds for elderly friends and relatives) and there weren't really any beginner form pointers and I would call the workouts intermediate level.

I did make up an excel spreadsheet to organize the workouts, but I haven't updated it since early this year.
Old 09-26-21, 11:17 AM  
Poodlepants

Hits: Caroline Girvan (You Tube) and the Sweat (Kayla Itsines) app.

Miss: Bulldog Yoga. I thought I'd give it a try. It's not for me. It's very shouty, kind of corporate feeling and doesn't feel like yoga to me. I'll stick to Inner Dimension TV for my yoga.
Old 12-30-21, 11:00 AM  
AnMrsDe

Any more hits/misses of '21?

Now that it's the end of 2021, I thought I'd post with my hits and misses...

HITS:

Yvette Fit.com (my 2nd year of subscribing) and still loving it! I really like how she makes each and every workout fun! I have to modify, sure, but I make it my own and get a great workout each time while having fun and keeping my joints happy. Best annual deal out there at $69/year! ETA: Yvette has a special for $59.99/year going on right now until 1/3/22! CODE: NY2022

6' Round Yoga Mat Cathe's brand - loving it! Which has enabled me to using it for Cathe's Mobility workout. Done regularly, I have really noticed how it keeps my hips and joints flexible. (Don't really take to her Yoga much - just the Mobility workout and love how she includes a Timesaver option also)!

Cathe's Sept. '21 rotation - This rotation urged me to follow someone else's rotation (it's been awhile!) and inserted my own workouts with the said format in the following two months. I also added the BOSU in place of the step, namely in Athletic Training, which took away the dread and added in the safety.

Cathe's Boss Loops Glutes & Core - Enjoyed this one more so than her Total Body Band workout. Mish Mosh #4 (Double Standing Lower Body strength with Low Impact Cardio) in particular is a favorite premix. I like that I can use my wide fabric bands I already owned and can make it a little more intense. Also, I found another hit in Cathe's Live Boss Bands & Loops Metabolic #363 workout and purchased the download!

Gymnist 2# wrist weights - Found on Walmart.com, they are the slip-over-the-hand kind with no velcro, etc. Easy to use and provided that little bit of extra for lifting weights or during kickboxing/boxing workouts. I also have been known to use them around my knuckles in k/b...

55" Stability Ball - Cathe brand. Ever since that thread warning us about the burst stability ball, LOL, I purchased this and so glad I did. I originally had a 65" inch for years (was really made well but I knew it was old)...getting the 55" inch now works so well with my low ceilings for bringing the ball over my head, etc. and it fits my body better (those hamstring roll-ins are a lot easier now!). Mine is a pretty lime green color.

Daily meditation - this year I managed to do some form of meditation 365 (provided I do it tomorrow!) days...I'm still in shock I could hang tough - even started this practice Sept.'20! It has really made a difference for me emotionally as well as spiritually.

YOUTUBE HITS:

Michelle Briehler - love her demeanor and especially her barre fusion workouts.

Mady Morrison - Her channel is in German, but has the platform of music playing while following along with no cueing. I really love her stretches - namely, her Back Pain Relief stretches, which I have done umpteen times this year! It helps to keep my lower back in my happy place.

Olivia Lawson - I think it was this year I discovered her? I love her all standing workouts mostly and I could do them barefoot if I wanted. She is my Leslie Sansone of YT!

Two Birds Yoga Lately, I've been enjoying Fiona's classes--they make me feel so good! It took a little while to get used to her deep voice (and usually voice-over classes), but now I'm in tune to it and find it very hypnotic and relaxing.

MISSES:

I haven't purchased very many DVD's this year so not too many misses, but I did subscribe to Barre 3 during the Black Friday deals on a whim of adding more barre work in my week and wasn't too impressed with the site since the last time I subscribed (2016). I found the platform hard to navigate and not being able to pick my level of fitness thru the workouts was a complete turn-off. Also the site asked how my body was feeling after every workout I did which got annoying. I found them pretty easy and not very challenging...maybe I wasn't doing the right ones for me? Also not being able to even search for a specific workout was crazy! (Hopefully it just wasn't on my end!). The deal was a discount for 3 months but I canceled after one month (and it really wasn't even THAT great of deal). Live and learn.

All in all, a good workout/fitness year for me!! I feel like I managed to keep my endurance level up to standards with Yvette/Cathe but still keeping joints happy (Mobility/Yoga) despite a major arthritis flare-up practically the whole year. Striving for balance, I am.
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of, hits and misses, kcm super sculpt, worst of