Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-27-21, 01:43 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - chapters from yoga shakti
today - MR strong and limber part 1 + 30 min youtube walk

so I got my hip injected with steroids yesterday! It's been 15 months it's been hurting me and I've tried pretty much everything I can think of and finally went to my orthopedic guy. He examed me, talked about what did and didn't help, did an exam, got a quick xray and did the injection. In and out in around an hour. Guess I should have gone in sooner but I just can only handle so much dr stuff.

so I didn't sleep well last night, around 5 am I finally thought, huh, wonder if that steroid injection did that. yep, it's a side effect. Hopefully better tonight.

ebianco - that's my current sleep saga but we'll see how I'm doing later this week.

buzzer - 7 hours that is amazing, it would be for me anyway! I've got brain body fitness so sounds like I can just use that one like lady bug, maybe I need to just rest my credit card LOL. all those bricks are workout!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 09:57 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp Brain Body Fitness floor...DONE!
Ttapp posture walking workout.. DONE!

I did sequence 1 of BBF again. I checked out 2 & 3, thinking they'd be harder since they are 2 and 3, however 2 was a warmup and 3 started out with a tutorial. So I went back to 1 and did it. I love that workout! It really hits my core. Not a good upper body workout, but man, the lower body work and core work!

It was only 30 minutes, so I added on the posture walk workout since I got it off eBay for $10. I actually really liked it! It is seriously like learning how to walk though. The first about 15 minutes is a "warm up" which was really a workout. The second 15 minutes is walking and she gives great posture tips. I really like it! Like I said before, I feel like I am about 50% there with the strength and posture in my core. My hips have a huge tendency to push backwards a bit, and I am working on pulling them under to support by body and spine. staying tall in the torso is huge for me. Keeping my arms back and chest up has really helped out what I thought was "back fat" but really when I stand up tall, was just that my shoulders were forward and causing it to look bigger back there and more fat since more of my ribcage was showing in the back. Hard to describe.

I still look 9 months pregnant, but I am working on it. And even if it doesn't change, if I can change the muscles to support it better and look less pregnant, I will call that a win. Yesterday my underwear felt a little big and slipped down a bit, but I am not calling that a win yet. Could have just been they stretched out or something. Not getting my hopes up yet.

I sure felt my hips though on the walking! She has you put your feet so they're about 4 finger widths apart, and when I walked like that I really felt my outer hips. I am happy with what changes I see and feel, even if I'm not losing weight or changing sizes. At least I'm not going up!

Yesterday I took a day off working out. LB had to be at a lego building class at 9, we slept in the camper, and even though I didn't sleep well, I didn't feel like hurrying in a workout earlier (like, starting at 6) and then rushing around all morning to get us ready. She did the lego class, then we did homeschool gym which got rained out so we moved to another ladies house, then ran to karate and got home about 5:30. I was pooped. So much running around!

It rained all evening and night then snowed this morning starting about 4ish. Now we have about 2" of slush on the ground. I expect to lose power sometime just because this is so much weight on the branches and we usually lose power when a branch touches a line somewhere in the valley. I'm watching big globs of snow fall from the trees. The trees are really weighted down so all the branches are drooping. This is the kind of snow that does damage! initial reports were that we'd have 8-12" of this, which would break branches. Now I'm seeing maybe 6". Don't know if That is 6" falling, or 6" piling up. Two completely different things this time of year!

Today is a slower day of violin and urban air later. Lots of school getting done today.

Eventmom: I do love brain body, and think if you have that you are good. I love ladybug because there's more chest opening, and different variations of ho downs. I love BB becuase I think she goes way too fast on ladybugs, and in BB she slows it down and pieces it out. Lady bug has standing work, leaning back on your arms work (so lots of arm isometrics), and more upper body work. BB is all laying down, but so heavy on the core and legs! So I guess I could say I love them both, but I still think ladybug is a better sampler workout with standing, then sitting on your butt and leaning back, then floor work. BB is great when you don't want to do anything but lay on the floor and want to kick your own butt.

I was so excited for the 7 hours!!! Granted, that doesn't help me in the long run, but to have enough sleep for two nights in a row was amazing. I wan't ready for a nap in the afternoon, didn't feel fuzzy and foggy, knew I could get out and go into town and not worry I'd be too tired and no where to nap... so many things. I was so happy! Now I'm back to 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Last night I got a whopping 5 hours. So frustrating. I wish I could figure out how to get 7 hours consistently!
Hi Ebianco!!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 02:14 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

MR strong from strong and limber then after I took care of the horses did a 30 minute gina b walk.

buzzer - sounds like i'm good with what i have in the way of ttapp. Although the walking ones sound a bit different from what I've got. I don't expect that I'll do a long ttapp rotation. Now I'm eyeing the cheap copies of the bar method workouts on ebay - wondering i want to re-acquire any. I got rid of mine when I was deep into TA but now wonder if TA will be too much at some point. My sleep was crap last night, the insomnia seems worse. Maybe tonight. Sorry about the snow, we are flooding in Oklahoma. I am supposed to have a horse trial this weekend but with this rain who knows.

hi ebianco !
Old 04-29-21, 02:14 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

I have briefly abandoned my Alphabet Tour rotation in a large part because a lot of my "A" workouts were Art of Strength and it just doesn't seem like a good idea to start on kettlebell training yet with my wrist. Also, I've been thinking about my workouts and am anxious to up the ratio of strength to cardio (more strength/less cardio) so I've decided to revisit some of my older Firm strength workouts, and may think about adding some Cathe in to my week besides Saturday. It just seems like more strength training may be the way to go. I still get light cardio in on Friday and intense cardio in on Sunday, plus any bonus outdoor walks I may get in during the week.

So in my effort to find shorter (30-45 minute) strength workouts, I've been looking at my Firm shelf and pulled out BSS4 Firm Supercharged Sculpting with Pam Cauthen, of Firm Strength fame. I don't know if I've ever actually done this one, or at least it's been YEARS! It was about 35 minutes and was set up as lower (squat, lunges), upper (back, chest), abs (plank/core), lower (tough long leg press set), upper (biceps, shoulders, triceps), abs (prone). It was a very pleasant workout! I totally forgot how enjoyable doing front lunges, which I usually avoid because of my knees, are on the incline Transformer step. Of course I had to go lighter with my weights because of my wrist. I've been able to hold up to 8# dumbbells so far! But my right shoulder also feels pretty wonky, it's been popping more and the muscles were twitching at length last night (!) it's not painful but it seems like I shouldn't overexert myself either. Anyway I can barely remember most of the BSS-era workouts, they're probably my least used Firm workouts! But now I'm feeling excited to revisit them!

Today I did another new to me Firm workout, (a Pink/Firm Express era) Time Crunch Cardio workout with Allie. This one is set up like the Firm Express workouts with three, 20 minute workouts, an all strength, all cardio, and strength+cardio. I did the strength and strength+cardio expecting basically a Firm Express workout but they were a little different than I thought. I chose the cardio+strength first and was thinking "hmm, there's not much cardio in this" before realizing it was the all strength workout. Ha! The chapters were "fat blaster" or whatever, not just "cardio" or "strength" like the Firm Express workouts, if that makes sense.

So for the strength workout, there's not too many reps of things, but what I DID like was that she moved pretty slowly and there weren't many compound moves, so when my wrist is back up to speed, can go much higher on weights with this one. For the cardio+strength, it was not cardio for 3-4 minutes than strength for 3-4 minutes like FE, it was just all basically 4-limb work. In fact she called it 4-limb with 'light 4-limb' and 'heavy 4-limb' with some unweighted cardio bursts. It wasn't really what I was looking for, but I actually really enjoyed it! I didn't bother with the all cardio workout. She likes to get dancey and upon preview it wasn't really my thing. But the other two chapters I'll do again, and they made a very pleasant 40 minute workout!

Eventmom Did your steroid injection help? I to a cortisone injection in my foot once when I had plantar fasciitis but it didn't help at all. I'm sorry to hear you've been sleeping poorly

Buzzer I'm glad you're sleeping well and feel really good about your workouts! I've been gradually gaining weight over the past two months (on top of a much slower weight gain over eat past year) and I'm about 4 pounds up from where I was a year ago. I keep creeping and I want to level out and stop gaining weight, even if I don't lose weight. So hopefully I'm at that point...!
Old 04-30-21, 09:54 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp warmup workout 1.. DONE!
Ttapp warmup workout 2.. DONE!

So I figure I am about done with the 14 day bootcamp (although I didn't do the days in a row), and decided to do these as "easier workouts". Guess what? They are not! Well, warmup workout 1 is. The beginning is about 5-10 minutes of foot stretches, which I have discovered my feet HURT. Like, could barely do any of the stretches and winced the entire time hurt!! Not only my big toe I broke years ago, but both big toes, all my little toes, my arch.. everything hurt but my heel. I had such a hard time with all the stretches! I need to do it more apparently.

Warm up 1 also had some stretches and even with following her directions, I didn't feel them. It was good, not great. I felt like I got a good workout in anyhow.

Warm up 2 is EXCELLENT!! I highly recommend this one. It was mostly floor, the only thing she did standing was an extended version of the back stretch. The floor work was tough when you follow her cues!!! Wow. My core was working, my back was working, my inner thighs... my outer thighs and hips got an excellent workout just from bringing my foot out when my knee was bent!!! I still feel it there!!! This was a warmup, but it was actually a very intense workout. Slow though so you can get into position! Lots of holding. I will use the heck out of this workout for sure. It's definitely not a warmup!! I don't know if I can say enough good about this one.

So apparently I have extended my bootcamp by a few days, inadvertently! I'm not sure what I will do in my off days, probably start stretching more. But I do need to have a day off from the intense work. I just thought I was doing that and I wasn't!! HA!

My shoulder muscle still aches when I put my arm under my pillow, but I am still holding out hope it'll get better. It's not getting worse. I know it's scar tissue from the old injury, so at least I am confident I am not damaging it more.

No inches lost, no noticeable changes. No compliments on anything new, changes, or anything else. Clothes don't feel different. However I feel more pulled in, more stretched, and I feel like I am getting a great workout for all my muscles. I am working harder longer than I did for any other workout I have done. I feel like I am doing something. Just not really doing something that is producing changes yet.

Man, I feel my muscles though!

My diet has been pretty good lately, better than I think it has ever been. Doesn't help either. I'm just kinda stuck. I am surprised every time I look in the mirror. I always wonder "what happened???" This isn't me, and I am sad that this is the "me" so many people know me as. I have no idea what to do about that, so I just deal with it when I look in the mirror, then try to forget when I see people and just enjoy myself and their company.

Ebianco: I think the BSS era is my least used also. I am always surprised at how much I like them when I do do them, but they are never my first choice. Good call on the AOS workouts. That would really seem bad for your wrist!!!

Eventmom: I seem to be alternating good and bad nights of sleep. I don't know if it's ttapp helping me, or what, but I will take extra good nights! Last night I got 6 hours!!! Of course, the night before I got 4 1/2. But 6!! usually it's 4, 4 1/2, 3 1/2, 5, 4... then suddenly a 6!! or a 7!!! Then back to 4, 4 1/2...

We are supposed to get more snow on Sunday and Monday, along with rain again. We are getting soaked! Which is good, but hopefully we don't have a super wet spring where everything grows, then a super dry summer where it all dies and starts to catch on fire. the days are beautiful right now though!!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-30-21, 10:42 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

MR all my best 1, part 1 + dance moves from a fit prime

buzzer - 6 hours would be awesome for sleep! I can't quite sort out what my issue is - hormones? food? reflux? very frustrating. Diet changes take time, maybe it will take a few more days.

ebianco - the injection helped some of the hip pain but not in both areas. The insomnia has been difficult so I'm a bit frustrated right now.
Old 05-01-21, 09:57 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp warmup #3... dONE!

This one really is a warm up. It goes slow, lots of stretching. Some work, but most of it is more gentle (believe it or not!) and holds are shorter rather than throughout the whole workout. Some standing work, but mostly floor stretches. I loved it for a rest day! I decided today should be a rest day, but took a chance on doing warmup 3. I'm glad I did.

There isn't much information about the warmup workouts on the internet, so I was worried about getting them. They were only $15 each, but for 3 of them that added up. I can see using each of them for different reasons. I like #1 the least, #2 the best for work, and #3 the best for actually stretching.

I am noticing things like my shoulders are rolled forward, so I am trying to correct that. It doesn't change how my clothes fit, but perhaps makes me look better. My hips are rolled back some, so I am working on that. My chest needs to be lifted more. I am working on all of it. I am body brushing. I am eating better, although not all perfect like I'm sure fitness instructors do. I am still puffy, still heavy, still don't look at all like I used to, and still look like a junk food addict. I wish I looked like someone that works out. I am hoping once I pull myself into alignment and hopefully undo the 20+ years of damage that's hopefully holding me back at this point in my life, I will look better. I am not focusing on the number on the scale, but rather on clothes and feeling.

I don't feel bloated at the end of the day, although sometimes I still am. I feel a bit more energetic, although some days I just feel heavy and tired (probably from lack of sleep). I would love to lose just something, but that may not be in the cards for me. I will keep going, because even though I love lifting, maybe going in the complete opposite direction for a while will be good. I am tired of looking puffy and big. I am tired of my ribcage looking like a mans. I am tired of looking 6 months pregnant. I am tired of seeing cottage cheese on my thighs, which in all my life I have never seen. This is the program I am starting to feel changes on, so this is what I am hoping I will see changes on.

Besides, I keep thinking about when I did Callanetics exclusively for a while (I don't remember how long), and how my waist was the smallest it's been in forever, and my clothes fit so well!! However, my joints felt like I was 80 and I even had trouble getting in and out of the car. I realized the tradeoff wasn't worth it, so I stopped. That was probably 10 years ago (pre LB) so my body had changed since then, however I am using that as motivation to perhaps get SOME change!

Today LB has a recital at 10 for violin. That's in about an hour, so I gotta be shorter than I am on this check in! Today is just recital then running around day before tomorrows storm blows in. I've read anywhere from 1" to 2 feet of snow. Who knows anymore! My windshield wiper broke when a big clomp of heavy wet snow fell from my roof to the windshield in the last storm, so I have to get that replaced before tomorrow. On the list for today!

Eventmom: Having bad sleep sucks so bad. I keep thinking how it was worse when I had a job I was committed to, becuase I knew a bad night of sleep couldn't be made up whenever my body felt like it was ready to sleep. I remember being so tired and having to teach a class. I hated it. Trying to look spunky and act happy and energetic when I just wanted to lay down. At least now I can set LB on a task and try to take a quick nap! Not always, since we are sometimes out and about, but if we are home, I thankfully can try to snooze sometimes. I hate insomnia. I hope it gets better for you

Waves Ebianco!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-02-21, 07:01 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday- MR all my best part 2 + youtube walking workout
today - sort of yoga before I left for a horse trial, then ttapp after.

we did pretty good, we won out of 9 in our division which is on the big side for a schooling show. saw friends, had fun. good jumping rounds.

buzzer - wow I'm shocked that callanetics hurt your joints! wow. I hear you on the eating good but not perfect. but I think I've got to get that cleaned up to lose weight but I'm struggling with sleep and if you eat too little you don't sleep through the night so I'm trying to figure out how to eat to get decent sleep it just seems so complex sometimes.

hi ebianco !
Old 05-03-21, 09:03 AM  
Buzzer

Hit the floor harder.. DONE!

"What the he** was THAT?" I quote myself, when I finished this workout. Seriously. It was fast, it was crazy, it was hard to hold my form. My upper traps hurt after the standard crunch and crossover work, I think because after that I started holding them tight to compensate for the fact that I was trying my darnedest to get the form among the fast movements. I was kicking myself in the butt, I was trying to hold in my abs, I was trying to press in with my elbows the best I could. it was just hard. This workout may be beyond my current Ttapp abilities!

I did it though. I was sweating, swearing, and clock watching. but I did it. The end could not come soon enough! I can see coming back to this when I get better at ttapp, however right now, there's no way this did anything to further my ttapp journey. I'm sure I bought this years ago because I heard it was a hard workout. I went through that phase. I am not there right now!

I did like the exercises. I liked at the end the table top with leg lifts, because I do sway my back in those and I tried my darnedest not to. My upper traps hurt. My triceps hurt from all the leaning back work. My legs didn't "tingle" when she said they would, they laid there like logs saying to me "what the he**...??"

Lots of arms behind the back stretches too. So lots of shoulder/chest opening.

Crazy workout though.

Today we have about 3" of slush on the ground. It rained a lot yesterday, and today it is snowing so lots of slush. Heavy wet slush. It's still snowing too. I scheduled LB's swim lessons for May, thinking the chances of it snowing on us would be next to nothing. Guess what? it's snowing. And she has swim lessons. We will make it though.

Other than that, school today and violin. Her recital went well. I love zoom, we see everyone and can laugh and have fun. She did great!

Eventmom: I think I wasn't doing Callanetics correctly or something. I love it as an occasional workout though. I don't know if I was pushing and pulling too much, if it's the positions they have you go into, or what. I ADORE the workouts, but when I did them exclusively my joints ached so bad!! when I switched workouts, it went away. I remember someone else on the forum had the same problem, and it made me feel better, of course. I have zero idea why it did that. I love Callanetics though. So love it.

Last night we moved back out of the camper into the house. The camper just feels like a vacation. I love it! I have to vacuum though, all the little stones and dirt don't make it vacation like. Before we go back in there I will vacuum.

Waves Ebianco!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-03-21, 11:01 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yoga in the garden of serenity.

I should not have done ttapp yesterday I should have stretched. I can do ttapp after a jump lesson but riding all three phases is much more strenuous.

buzzer - that's too bad about callanetics! I like them as not too hard but still get a workout. It's weird how some workouts are great for one person but less so for someone else. You reminded me, I need to vacuum the living quarters of my horse trailer. It's just never ending right now, the hard part of our winter was so late I'm now behind on everything as nothing got done outside for about 2 weeks.

hi ebianco!