Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-20-21, 03:06 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Oops I got behind again. I've been feeling really stressed out lately. I am totally bloated (pounds, inches, you name it) and am feeling frustrated that I can't seem to lose weight, or even maintain weight lately. Work is extremely stressful especially this time of year, my birthday is coming up soon (in several weeks) and I wanted to really weigh less and feel better about myself as a birthday gift to myself but it's not going well so far. But I still have a lot of lead time. I'm trying to cut out the junk food, and I have mostly, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I suspect being stressed is bloating me but it's hard to try to not stress out. Or try to relax but it feels like working to relax, and not feeling relaxed, just makes me feel more stressed out and annoyed.

Anyway, on Friday I truly did not have time to work out, but I wasn't going to take no for an answer, so I ended up doing this very light cardio+stretch workout during a meeting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gLo_0Jpe-s) and it was actually pretty good! It was better than nothing.

Saturday I could do more so I did Cathe Pyramid Upper/Lower the premix where it mixes both workouts, then the stability ball abs and stretch on the same DVD for a 68 minute workout.

Sunday I was short on time and my DH and I were going to be walking around all day (we went to a renaissance festival) so I just did Pure Barre Resistance #1 warm up through seat with a short quickie stretch. It was great and I didn't feel tired walking around after that.

Today is a rest day but when I read about weight loss, I keep running into "add more steps into your day to burn calories but not increase your appetite" and my steps are HORRENDOUS. On the days I run or have an outing, at most once a week, I get in maybe 5000 steps but most days I get less than 1000 That doesn't include any workout I do of course, but I've mostly been doing weight training. So I'm going to try getting in 5000 steps a day if I can and see how that goes. I'm not even entertaining 10k steps a day right now. So I went out for a long walk with the dogs, actually 2 dogs first for a longer walk and then the other 2 for a shorter walk, and got in closer to 6000 steps and am really happy with that.

Tomorrow is a rest day but will try to get my steps in again. Then probably more Firm strength, Cathe, and barre.

Eventmom and Buzzer I hate mealtime meetings too. I've gotten into the routine of working out at lunch, so it really disrupts my schedule. When the pandemic ends and life goes back to normal (or whatever) I'm going to have to get used to waking up really early and working out before work again. That will probably be good for me though.

I keep a close eye on my calories, for me I don't think it's so much portion control (although I can probably improve on that) but the binge eating of junk food. I'll have a great 1,500 calorie day and then totally BLOW another 1,500 calories on junk food for a 3,000 calorie day on a bad day. If I can just cut out mistakes like that, I think I would be just fine.

Buzzer Firm Super Sculpt really fits a TON in and I love it too! But yes you better have your equipment ready because they move super fast to fit in so much stuff. I think I did Super Sculpt because you mentioned it sometime recently LOL!

Yes, it is like my estranged sister died! That's how I feel. The unlikelihood that I will see her/talk to her again is basically permanent. When she first cut me out of her life, I had dreams where we were just chatting and it felt nice (no drama) then I would wake up and be like "oh yea, we had a falling out" and it was sad. Thankfully I don't really have those dreams anymore.
Old 09-21-21, 09:54 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Basics Sculpting with weights? The Tracie Long one... DONE!

I had fun with it! I did sweat and work hard too. I used 12's for almost the entire workout. She did a lot of it with no weight, so I just added it in. I was still a little sore from the super sculpt, and my jogging in my room/step yesterday. I almost took the day off, but decided at the last minute to find something easier. I liked this workout! It's lighter, but really is good for a tired/sore/overtrained day. I like the basics for that. I remember when I was packing up my VHS tapes to send to someone who was sending them to the troops. I looked at my basics and thought, I would not repurchase these. Now I am glad I did! They are good.

So one thing I learned from my t-tapp experience, besides the form which I love and try to practice, was that deep ab work thing... I forget what she called it. Where she's lift, scoop one side, then the other, then the middle, then lift and lift. I don't do the scoops, but I do a deep internal contraction like teresa taught me to do, and do that on the hip raises in the Firm. I still work my buns, but man, my deep ab muscles work hard too! I do love it. Who knows if it helps, but it feels like it should.

I am not losing weight, but liking the muscle "definition" I am getting from the firm. I can see the muscles in my arms at least. I don't know if anyone else can, but I can! that makes me feel better. Also, although my abs shake when I laugh like a bowl full of jelly, I feel like I can see some light definition there too in places. So perhaps I can change, just not lose. I am trying to be at peace with myself.

Day 10 of not snacking, not eating the bad things, skipping going out to eat as much as I can, focusing on drinking more water and all the other things I'm trying... and my pants fit the same. So there ya go. Totally worth it

Yesterday we had another busy, busy day. I'm exhausted. We scheduled to go see the horse today at 11, however I am thinking of cancelling. LB even made the comment yesterday that we need a day off. I had hand therapy, then we did the horse thing for 2 hours, then she had a violin group. When her friends were walking home from school and came by, they asked her to come play after violin, so I dropped her off. She played there until about 8. I am letting her sleep in now! I am debating cancelling the horse so we can have a day off, we both apparently need it!!

Horse and karate. The karate we can't skip, there's only 2 days this week we can fit it in. So we at least have to do that. I have a bunch of stuff I need at Walmart, and have needed for at least a week. I just haven't had time to go!!

LB is on the horse now, and the horse is so calm. I can tell she's been ridden more and worked with more. I am feeling better about her being on the horse... not 100%, but better. I am allowing the lady to take the lead rope off and walk near LB. LB is still learning the commands, and learning how to ride, and the horse is really listening, not trying to do the little buck, and is so calm!!! She's turning into a really good horse. The lady has been trying to work with her at least once a day, and I'm trying to get LB to bond more with the horse instead of just be all business. Little by little. So that's why I'm thinking of still doing the horse today... the more we do it, the easier it will be for all of us. But man, I'm pooped. I need to go to Walmart. AND, we need to get LB's school stuff ready for tomorrow. She is learning so much though. Seriously, so much!!!

I am too.

So we'll see how the day goes. I need a day off though. So bad!!! I can also tell I haven't been picking up the house. It's embarrassing. so we have to do that too.

Eventmom: So me and the lady who owns the horse LB helps train were talking about the crazy horse and the lady that owns it. She was saying the same thing. She said she couldn't believe she said LB could ride, but thought the horse was so calm and nice, it shouldn't be a problem. The horse is really nice and seems so docile. Then you put a saddle on it and apparently it hates you. LB is getting a good lesson on what a horse can do, and so far she has stayed safe on all of it. It's been hard lessons for both of us though!! I am just glad LB hasn't been hurt on any of this. We have been so blessed in that way. That's why I insist either the owner or I are near when she is riding. I don't want to press my luck!

I think so many people up here own horses, maybe they just aren't well versed in how to actually have a horse. The lady that owns the horse LB helps with showed me a guy named Mark Langley who has some videos out, and we have been watching those. He's interesting, and does give some good info on how a horse thinks, which has been good for us. anyhow, horse drama continues! I know kids have been through worse, especially with horses, but it's so hard when you are the parent watching your kid. I can't believe how much more stressful things are on this side of the parent/child relationship!

Ebianco: So good to see you!!! I guess the inability to lose weight and feeling bloated is the new check in curse. Ugh. I hear ya though. I remember too hearing that low stress = losing weight, and haven't seen that yet. maybe it's because no matter what I do, it's hard to lessen stress! I'm surprised how low your steps are!!! You workout like a fiend, you would think you would at least get some credit for that!! I think 5k is a good goal. I do remember reading there's no magic in the 10k steps, so I think working out and getting 5k a day would be really good. It's more than most people do!! You are doing good though. I mean, at least we are trying, right???
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 04:10 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Jacquelyn umoff barre sculpt + 20 power walk through the decades

ebianco - it's tough to get the right number of calories. junk food is so calorie dense you can eat an extra 1000 calories and not even realize it! I used to get a dessert at whole foods once in awhile but I guess they finally put the calories on it - 1200 calories, what a whole day of calories (basically).

buzzer - it's not worth putting a kid in danger so glad you are back working with the other horse. ug, walmart dh did that run for us last week! yeah!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-21, 05:16 AM  
Buzzer

Leslie 5 mile advanced walk... DONE!

So I think I broke a toe. Not a total break, however i kicked the footstool after checking to see what the dogs were barking at (nothing) hard enough that people around the block probably knew something happened. Small children learned new words. I kicked it between the toe next to the pinkie toe and the middle toe, so it swelled, turned all shades of red and purple. I iced it right away, and started putting arnica on it.

I iced it and arnica'ed it all morning, and although it hurt, I wanted to try to workout. I tested out getting on the step (was good) and trying to lightly march, and it was good. Everything is good except stepping off a step forward, that makes me squeal. Touching it also hurts a lot. I put on my shoes with the biggest toe box, and did what I could. The sock kinda held the toes together, which was like taping them. It hurt when my toes would touch the top of the shoe, but luckily since it's the side of the toe, all I am doing is keeping the toes together and it seems to work. I don't think it's near as bad as my finger was. ugh.

So I ended up semi-prancing semi-marching around the room doing a walk workout. The workout has 2 miles with different kinds of weight... one has the waist stretchy bands, one has an elastic band. So I used my 3 pound pink weights and it was good. It got my heart rate up. I tried to see if I can still lunge, which I can if I go slow and shift the weight to my big toe. So I might see if I can still do a volume and just pause at the lunges and do them at a slower pace so I can get my weight shifted. I am trying not to use it as an excuse!!

I hate to say it, but it's kinda a blessing it's on the inside of the toe rather than the top or bottom. It is easier to manage. I'm hoping this one is just a blip in the radar.

Yesterday LB's violin group instructor texted that the group would be on zoom instead of in person because she had had a covid exposure. We were both bummed, but I thought about it, and hadn't seen LB's violin. So I asked LB "did you bring your violin?" she said "Wait... NO!" we laughed. She hadn't brought it with us anyhow so she wouldn't have been able to participate in group anyhow! So we went home and while I made dinner, she did group on zoom. It worked out really well.

We stopped off at the farmers market and got lots of vegetables, so I chopped and created something (I don't know what it was, but no one complained at it was... pretty good) while she played her violin for the computer.

So perhaps yesterday was a bit of a slower day for us. It was good. We've been watching this series on Disney plus called Draining the Ocean or something like that, so we actually sat down and watched 2 episodes! It's really a cool show. Nice and relaxing evening.

Today I am debating giving my toe a break and doing an upper body split, or doing a volume just so I can see if I can. I might do the upper body just to give myself at least another day to heal! HA!

Eventmom: I never realized how much junk food adds up until I read the calorie count in a COOKIE from the bakery. A cookie!!!!! Holy cow. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but I remember thinking that it was NOT worth it. It was a gourmet-y cookie with big chocolate chunks in it, so yeah, it wasn't like it was good for me, but I was surprised how fast those calories add up. You'd think it would work both ways though.. stop eating cookies and lose weight! HA!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 09-25-21, 06:30 AM  
Buzzer

Firm upper body.... split? the "newer" one.. DONE!

This workout is only 40 minutes, just about 30 minutes of weights. It's the one with the fanny lifter, and they split the lifter to do tricep dips (holy crap) and pushups. I am not strong on tricep dips! I need to work on that.

I used my 15's for all the big muscle work, so my biceps and delts got fried! I did my pushups on my toes the first set, then the next hundred sets I did on my knees. I did do the "I have my knees on my fanny lifter!" pushup set with the fanny lifter just above my knees. Overall, it was a great workout! I tried to use 8's on the anterior lifts, but I forgot how long that set is. I used 8's for like, the first set of anterior delts, then you go to laterals with a pulse, and I dropped to 5's. Even then, it was HARD. I rested for a rep or two here and there for sure.

So yesterday we went to "living history day" which I am now calling homeschool class reunion. I couldn't walk across the field it was held in without seeing 3 people I knew. It was a blast! We got there at 9;15, LB made a musket out of wood, and then they showed them some military moves and had a mock revolutionary war battle with their musket in the field. There are tents set up all around, each with a different thing showcased... blacksmiths, surgery, clothes washing, food making, even a tent where they were making a bed! That' was cool. Oh and hunting, and one where they showed the kids parts of a real musket and let them touch it. It was so much fun! We spent seriously from 9:15 until 4 when they closed for the day. It was amazing! They did a battle reenactment, then one of the participants is brought out for surgery to take out a musket ball.

The surgery is set up really well too! So cool. It was loud, I lost track of LB more times than I can count (but she was always with a friend so I felt better about it), I saw real nuns (which I thought was cool, I'm sure their students weren't as impressed) and so many friends. What an amazing day. Then we went to the lady up the streets house for dinner and a fire pit. I think everyone was over pooped! I got 7,600 ish steps yesterday, and barely drank anything.

So I slept kinda bad last night. Just overtired, over stimulated, and dehydrated. But it was worth it! I look forward to living history every year! Best day ever!

I have discovered if I roll off my big toe instead of all my toes when I walk, I am totally good with walking. My toe by itself makes me jump to touch it, however since it's part of a unit instead of an individual, it's much, much easier to manage. Plus where I whacked it is a protected area (between the toes) and I don't touch that area that much anyhow!

I will probably take today off. Otherwise, I will try a lower body. If it there is too much I can't do or have to modify too much, I will pull out something like old buns of steel or Andrea orbeck (supermodel something) and just do floor work. This is so much easier to work with!!

LB has Westernairs, otherwise today would be a total day off. Hopefully tomorrow is!

Hope you guys are having a good weekend! It was cooler yesterday, however today for LB's ride it's supposed to be 85 degrees. She will not be happy
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 09-25-21, 01:27 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

wow didn't get around to check in for quite a few days

wed - Jacquelyn gentle barre + dc w/arms
thurs - jacquelyn cardio barre
friday - jacquelyn sweaty sculpt full body
today - jacquelyn total tone barre + 15 min walk + 10 stretch

buzzer - I get it on the calorie thing, hey I don't put cheese on any food so that should count for something! the history day sounds really cool!

hi ebianco!
Old 09-26-21, 03:02 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

Sorry I got behind again. This last week was even busier than the week before I'm hoping that this week starts to wind down a tiny bit at least.

Wednesday: Firm Tough Tape! I did this one very rarely on VHS and have apparently never done it on DVD because it was still in plastic It took me a very long time to warm up to Tortoise for some reason so this compilation always took a back seat even though I love the Firm. Nearly all the work is from Tortoise with one let press set from Hare. It was a toughie. No abs. A lot for 42 minutes though!

Thursday: Firm Total Body Shaping Mix BUT I cut it way down from 70 minutes or whatever all the way down to 45 by skipping a lot of lower body, some cardio, and the table work at the end. So a lot of upper body, some cardio, and tough abs. It was great! I am definitely loving the Firm right now.

Friday: I pulled out Firm Maximum Cardio and I loved it!! I did about 30 minutes then I did 10 Minute Solution Pilates some of the burn chapter then the stretch chapter for an overall 45 minute workout and I felt great.

Saturday: Cathe Strong and Sweaty Total Body Giant Sets plus the tough ab add on for a 64 minute workout. This one is a serious toughie! The leg work is a mix of traditional lifting style and gliders. Almost all the arm work uses the stability ball. Then the abs is pilates style and very tough.

Today: Walk/Run outside (more walking to be honest! It was a very pleasant 70 degrees today) and then Pure Barre Resistance #2 and Callanetics stretches for an overall 80 minute workout.

Eventmom Yes it is MUCH harder to pick up a dessert at the grocery store when you see the calories and realize it's 1000 or whatever But I'll still blow 1000 calories on junk food by eating 10 fiber one brownies or whatever (that's my current junk food of choice) ((face palm))

Buzzer I really hope your toe is okay?? I am glad to hear it works better as a unit and not just totally sticking out like a sore thumb.
Old 09-27-21, 10:17 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - 20 min yoga caribean aerobics, after the jumper show I did ttapp basic & 18 min kathy smith yoga
today - yoga in the garden of serenity

I'm so freaking sore! But my horse is feeling like herself. Not sure what we will do in the long run but whew!

ebianco - wow great workouts! I trying to sort out what workouts next. My Jacquelyn umoffs are probably too glute intensive for me b/c my low back is sort.

hi buzzer! we were in the 90s this weekend, 2 more days then it will cool off and I think we'll be done with the 90 degree weather. sigh.
Old 09-27-21, 03:29 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all, it's a rest day for me today and tomorrow, but in my effort to get steps in, I went for a long walk today with the dogs (I always get lots of looks with walking three dogs on a leash and fourth dog in a carrier at my chest LOL ) but they were wiped so then I brought them back and went back out alone, and with the grocery store got in about 6000 steps. Last week I definitely didn't get in 5000+ steps each day, but did 4/7 days (okay it was only 3500 calories on Saturday, but close enough). It's defnitley much more steps than I was getting in before, so progress!

This week I plan to do Tough Tape 2, Better Body and Buns, and I think that's all the Benson eras I wanted to fit in, so will start repeating next week.

Buzzer and Eventmom I stopped feeling as bloated when I woke up Saturday morning, certainly because I went from 100% frazzled to finally closing some work projects on Friday, and getting some really good sleep. I am feeling a little more bloated now but I'm just trying to persist. I haven't weighed myself in a few days but trying to eat really well especially right now so I can do okay on Thursday which is the last day of the month weight. My steps aren't counted when I'm working out because I'm just using my phone as a pedometer, but maybe it would be worthwhile investing in a pedometer that will speak to my phone so I can rack up steps while I'm doing workouts. So as it is, the steps I'm counting are all outside working out. It's just perfect weather outside at about 70 degrees here.

I hope you both had a great weekend!
Old 09-28-21, 06:39 AM  
Buzzer

some rest days...done.
Firm Time Crunch workout... DONE!

I took some days to let my toe rest, and also because my body was just achey. It needed a rest! Just random sore muscles that weren't getting not-sore. So I rested.

Yesterday I was tired in the morning, just felt groggy. I knew I needed to workout, but didn't want to workout at a very high intensity. I wanted to lift heavier, but didn't want to do a lot of reps or sets. I wanted some aerobics, but didn't want extended aerobics and get my heart rate up too high. I wanted to workout hard, but didn't want to workout long. Since the Firm didn't name a workout any of those, I instead did Time Crunch. It was perfect! It checked all my boxes.

I grabbed 15's as my heavy weight instead of 12's. I have been kinda nudging my heavy weights up to 15's, but then backing off. This time, I kept it at 15's. I just wanted to go heavy. It worked out fine because the reps are lower and the sets are too. So 15's were perfect. I did grab a 20 for the back rows, again, becuase the sets and reps are lower. It was perfect as well.

Overall, I enjoyed the workout, and it was perfect!!! My toe bugs me, especially if I walk fast so I have to walk slower. I just took my time on the short amount of lunges that were in this workout, and made sure to roll off my big toe as much as I could. It was a little uncomfortable, but not so much that I can't do lunges. This is much easier with this toe than the finger!!

So the workout was perfect for where I was for the morning. LB and I have a ton of school to do before tomorrow. We had swim in the morning, which apparently the instructor took the day off and just put in my reminder email "T-F 10am" and didn't say anything about taking Monday off. Since I had signed up for a full week when I signed up, I didn't bother to notice that it was T-F, not M-F. What a waste of time. I left her a message asking where she is, even texted her in a panic that we were in the wrong place. She never got back to me. That's annoying. Even though I went back and checked the email and saw the "T", it would have been nice for her to get back to me. Or even to put in the email "notice I am taking Monday off!" or something. So annoying. This is the same instructor that, last time, changed the time we were coming in when we showed up from what we signed up for, so when we showed up she told us we were early. She just, changed it and emailed me the time without saying "I changed what time you are coming in. I hope it works for you" or anything. Just, changed when we were coming in and expected us there. Luckily it worked for us.

So this time I made sure to check the time, and it correlated to when I signed up, so I didn't check the dates! What the heck. She's a popular instructor, and we've been going to her for many years, so I am debating if I should just end this relationship, or what I should do. This is getting ridiculous. I hate to say it, but people really think homeschoolers have nothing else to do. I don't think people realize that things kids do in school, we now have to drive them around town for and schedule instead of having it done in a nice, tidy package inside one building. So I have to schedule things, PLUS we still do have school to do!!! Ugh. So that's my rant.

So although we had a ton of school to do, we were forced to blow off the morning and I let her play on the playground there for the hour. I had hand therapy at 11:15, so we had to kill time then go there. It would have been so nice to get some of our school out of the way instead!!!! So we ended up doing school until 8:30 last night by the time we got to it again.

So I guess moral of the story is, respect the time of homeschoolers too!!! Don't just figure they will work around you and be Ok with it all the time. We don't just sit around doing nothing, waiting for you to see us at your convenience.

I'm not sure what I am going to do today.... a Leslie? A firm cardio? I don't know. Maybe a stretch or a yoga, since I decided if I were 2" taller, I would be a fine weight. So maybe I'll stretch and fantasize that I can make myself 2" taller by doing that.

Ebianco: I forgot to address the sister/parents thing, although I have been thinking about it. So it's very strange that my estranged sister and I basically run around the same part of town, but I NEVER run into her (please don't curse me by running into her by putting that out there!). Probably becuase I am down there during the day and she is working. I do have dreams still about running into her, and she is trying to talk to me, and I miss that. In my dreams I usually am trying to keep my distance, but she kinda draws me in. Although I know she is dangerously toxic, I still can't be mean and give her the wrong impression that things are Ok with us. Maybe it's a dream warning me to not be drawn in by her if I see her.

It is like my parents and she are dead though. I guess I am kinda surprised when I hear from them, like I forget they are still around. I get sad, thinking of how things used to be, I could call them up for dinner, or say "what are you doing? can we come over today?" and spend the day with them. We didn't do it a lot, but probably once or twice a month we'd see them. Now, it's been about 6 months. It is so hard if I think about it. So sad. My Dad sends me emails occasionally, and pretty much says they are settling in and sounds like they are staying. So even the part of me that's hopeful that they will move back, it's like a little flame of hope I've had, get's crushed.

I told DH that I guess I will see them once a year at best, and even that means I will only see them a hand full of times before they die. They are 78 years old, so each time I see them at this point they will be different. Plus LB is growing up without them. It's just sad all around. OK, gonna move on before I cry. Me I can handle, but LB.... she has no grandparents now. Dh's parents passed before she was born. Mine just left.

So we have a lady that walks around with a baby carrier on her chest so if her little dog gets tired during her walk, she puts it in the carrier!!! Cracks me up that you do the same! She only has one though, I laughed at the image of you with three plus one on your chest! HAHA! People probably think you dog walk for a living. What a sight you must be! I love it!

Eventmom: we are going paddle boarding this afternoon with a friend, probably the last warm day for a while! It's supposed to be about 80 today in town, then we drop to the 50's and 60's. I'm glad to be done with the searing heat, but kinda sad the see summer really end!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14