Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-20-21, 07:50 PM  
Mickey12

Cataddict so sorry to hear about lil Tank. I know how much you guys love your cats. It’s so very tough when they get older. We all go through it and it’s no fun at all. Sorry to hear about your daughter also but I am thankful she was vaccinated.

Nathalie that’s so great that you could cruise through the grocery store on two legs. Awesome news! I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.

Kittybug your smokey vegetable soup sounds great. What makes it smokey? The first things I thought of were smoked paprika and cumin. Were they on the ingredient list?

I second all the praise for our sweet Linda and her cheers of encouragement. They are so wonderful and so appreciated.

Question: I saw in Cathe’s newsletter that she has a 7” mini yoga ball for sale. Does anyone know what it’s used for?

Today I took a 10 minute walk at lunch. First time in 5 weeks that I have done any sustained walking. The therapist told me to start slow and stay on level ground and I was able to complete it without any increased pain which made me very happy. I am doing my stretches and PT exercises which are very, very gentle but the therapist also said I can do some single joint upper body weight work too. I may wait another week to start that. I definitely don’t want to re-injure myself so I am trying to take it slow.

I enjoy reading all the posts about your workouts. I still haven’t done Cathe’s boss band/loops workouts. I’ll get there eventually.

Hello and well wishes to ChelePA.
Old 09-20-21, 09:47 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey All.....

oh cataddict, I'm sorry about Tank and your low mood. As Kim mentioned, that is so tough! Sending you big hugs. Bummer about the grandkids being stuck at home while the parents are sick. Honestly over and over again I really feel for parents of young kids. I get that this situation could have, and should have, been avoided, but still..... tough on those poor kids.

Kim, I can really relate to not wanting to do too much and reinjuring yourself. It's a fine line because I'm sure you need to be doing some movement and stretching as part of the healing, but yes.... scary. Good luck.

kittybug, you are right..... none of us should feel the need to apologize for being honest about what's going on in our lives. One of the founders of a startup I worked for a long, long time ago used to always say "tough times never last..... tough people do."

I ended up doing the first EPIC III workout today -- legs. It was fairly tough. She repeated the movements, including ones where you switch sides. It seems like she did lunge to knee (I'm not sure I'm calling it the right thing but I'm thinking you guys know what I mean) about ten times!!! I ended up doing some running in place, stretching, and step ups during some of them. My knees can take only so much of that. My lower body was jello after this. I do like Caroline for getting me to go heavier than I normally do, and also getting me to slow down, which really does get in there in a tougher way. I may stick with EPIC for a while.......

Waves and hugs all around.
Old 09-21-21, 09:51 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Hail Watulans!

I started out behind in our check-in and continue to play catch up. And, I'm going to try and be OK with that!

Nathalie - A trip to the grocery store must have felt so liberating. One step at at time - literally!

cataddict - I'm sorry about Tank. Poor guy! And the Covid diagnosis of your daughter. A younger friend of mind had the same thing happen. She was fully vaccinated and then went to a concert (maskless, I presume) and caught the virus. She is immune-compromised but probably thought she'd be immune. She caught Covid, but has recuperated and is back at work. She then went to another concert...

Mickey12 - I have previewed Boss Bands and that's as far as I have gotten.

horusosirus - I finally did Hamelin's CardioTone G. It cheered me up for some reason.

Workouts - The most mindless, brainless ones I have. Leslie Sansone, Body Project, the vintage P90 strength. My brain is tired from trying to process my current situation and anticipate all eventualities.

Hugs to all!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 10:02 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Bee, I love that saying!! I keep meaning to try Caroline but then I hurt myself, and like Kim, I'm absolutely terrified of being re-injured. Plus I'm enjoying my current workout plan, but I'm enjoying your reports of her workouts because I'm making mental notes, so keep 'em coming!!

Kim, I usually do use a lot of cumin/smoked paprika but this soup actually used barbecue sauce, hot sauce, Worcester sauce, liquid smoke, and chili powder, so it was kind of smoky ~and~ spicy, hah!!

Oh, and the 7" ball, that's funny because I just got a new barre ball for my birthday (um, along with some other fitness toys because I can't be helped) since all mine had become useless, but they're used for lots of stuff, yoga, Pilates...you can probably watch clips from Linda of Barlates to get an idea.

BabyW, good to see you!! It is absolutely exhausting trying to process what you're going through and figure everything out, I know...been there, and it sucked. Give yourself props for still working out!!

Yesterday I did Cathe's Pyramid Upper (Intensity) again because I'm a glutton for punishment. I've also decided my current rotation to build back some strength and get back to heavier weights slowly and keep my sanity will be one upper body workout, one lower body workout, one more intense cardio, one yoga practice, one metabolic or circuit type workout, and one barre workout. That seems like a good mix for now, hah!

Have a great day, all!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 12:14 PM  
ChelePA

Cataddict. Big hugs to you. These fur babies mean so much to us.

Nathalie. Great news about walking into the store. My daughter’s boot has been off for over a week and she is still limping. I’m trying to get her to follow her exercise regime or she’s going to need physical therapy.

VVfer. Good for you for continuing to exercise in a difficult situation. Sometimes it helps to just do some thing. ((Hugs))

Kim. Glad to hear you are definitely on the mend. I think it’s good to take it slow until you feel more comfortable. Sometimes injuries take a little longer to heal and it’s so easy to flare them back up.

Bee. I saw Caroline had a new series. She definitely challenges you to lift heavier and I always liked her slower movements. I preferred her total body because I’m not a big fan of repetition and those workouts seemed to have the least amount.

Kate. It sounds like your son is in good hands. He’s so lucky to have such a strong and supportive mom. Keep us updated on his treatments and how he is feeling.

Kittybug. I love when I get new toys. That seems to be the usual presents these days for me too. My husband and daughter are always looking for something to surprise me with. So glad I have the cycling bike. That will be getting some good use in the next couple of weeks.

Horusosirus. Did you like the new Cathe Live Bootcamp ? The preview looked really good.

FOLV. Thanks again for being the leader of our group and keeping us connected. Really appreciate that you go the extra effort.

Manleym. I sure do miss my Kat step workouts. I live vicariously through you ladies who continue to do fun Fridays and her workouts.

A little update on me.

It's been almost 2 months since my last and final surgery. Today they did a scan of my knee and leg area to see how it was healing. Everything looks good. I've been given the all clear to start full range of motion, full weight-bearing as tolerated, and strengthening exercises. I have pretty significant atrophy of my leg muscles due to nonuse. He told me again to expect 1 to 2 years before I can return to my previous level of functioning. Same with the swelling, numbness and pain. That could also take 1 to 2 years before complete healing. Thanks again for all your love and support. Trying to focus on the good news and realize I have to take it day by day.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 12:16 PM  
horusosiris

Hello All.

Today was a Total Gym and cable back and leg day.

Kitty- Please share your soup recipe. Your new rotation sounds good.

VF- one of the reasons that I do Hamelin (actually it is the major reason) is because he makes me feel good. I think you will like Boss Bands.

Mickey - congrats on your walk! ...slowly but surely...

Cataddict-- I am sending hugs and good vibes to you.

Waves to All.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 01:14 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello Fierce Ones!

Wanted to pop in quickly (well, we'll see) and let you know that Inner Dimension is having their fall sale -- it's $6/month for a subscription. Pretty decent deal -- I'm realizing I almost never do yoga anymore. Trying to decide to sign up or not.

Good to see both Baby and Chele pop in! Chele, it sounds like you're doing really well! Great that you'll be able to do weight bearing and also get back on your bike! That's exciting!

kittybug, I agree with the others -- that soup sounds great! All my fall recipes are back to being a dream for me for a bit because we are back to 80+ degree weather for a bit.

This morning I did EPIC III Day 2 -- push/pull upper. Seemed like a lot more pushing than pulling since she interspersed a bunch of different push ups. Again, I had to go way lighter than Caroline. She is a beast. Oh, and I also unloaded 1000 pounds of chicken feed and 250 pounds of dog food.

Waves all around!
Old 09-21-21, 03:05 PM  
manleym

Cataddict I'm so sorry to read about Tank not doing well. Especially hard since it's around the same time you lost Watula. Big hugs to you. And sorry to hear your daughter and BF tested positive but glad they're symptoms aren't severe. Hubby and I watch LOTS of college football and we've commented on the fact that the stands are full and most of the students aren't wearing masks. We were wondering what kinds of outbreaks there will be at universities because of it. But I was a bulletproof young adult at one time too, so I get that...it is so hard, especially for your grandsons who have to stay home.

Kittybug well said about there being no apologies necessary for posting about difficult times. That's one of the reasons I love our group. We are honest and real and share the hard of life with each other. Thank all of you for being vulnerable and real! This group is so much more than just posting about workouts. We need the emotional support too!

Nathalie and Kim so glad to hear you are both healing and progressing! You'll be back to full steam before you know it!

Bee I LOVE the saying you shared with us! We ARE a group of tough Watulans!

VVfer HUGE hugs being sent your way! We're here for you!

ChelePA GREAT news on your progress! I know it seems slow to you, but I'm so happy everything looks good and that you've been given the all clear to start moving again. I know it's a long, slow, hard process but you are doing great! It will feel good to move again and I'm glad you'll be able to use your bike.

Workouts:

Fun Friday was KCM Cardio Pump Interval Pump, which alternates boxing with weights. I really like this workout! It, and Lean Body Circuits, are at the top of my list of favorite KCM workouts.

Saturday was Work Max. Boo! And it was a full day - 9.5 hours, so no workout for me.

Sunday I tried Charlie Follows 60 Minute Intermediate - Advanced Vinyasa Yoga Class and really liked it. She does some crazy hard moves (to me) like -flying crow. I did the best I could. I would do more of her workouts.

Yesterday was CL#154 Metabolic Meltdown. Good workout that gets your heartrate up, is efficient with time, but doesn't totally kill you.

Today will be cardio or circuit. I like the idea of Kittybug's rotation. Might do something similar. With that rotation I can use Caroline for strength if I want, or really just anyone. But I do need to come up with a plan, especially for Mondays and Wednesdays when I don't have as much time to workout. Need something in place and ready to go.

Hugs and waves to everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 04:26 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I also meant to comment that I like kittybug's idea for a rotation. Floating around in my brain was to do a week of Caroline, a week of Barlates, something like that, but I like the variety within the week. So we'll see.... I feel like I'm on a bit of a roll with Caroline for now.

Oh, also..... on the soreness..... quite often for me it's two days later, rather than just one.

I've also seen a lot of sports functions with a lot of young people and almost no masks and wondered the same thing.....
Old 09-22-21, 10:31 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

It's Wednesday, Watulans!

Yesterday I did Jillian Michaels' Killer Cardio, both workouts, which are two 25-minute sessions kind of set up tabata style but to me, it was NOT tabata intense nor nearly as intense as I expected from Jillian. But I still got a great workout and it matched my low energy level yesterday, so I really liked it! Jillian was cracking me up too and just had a great demeanor in this one, more relaxed and toned down from some of her past stuff. I just acquired this from a generous fellow Vfer and am glad it is in my collection now.

WHERE is our bell mistress for ChelePA???? Chele, that is HUGE progress, absolutely HUGE! I'm so proud of you for your tenacity. That was supposed to be my word of the year but I think it suits you more!

Manleym, now I want to check out that yoga you did. I love Inner Dimension but am finding I am using YouTube more, sigh.

Okay Watulans who wanted my soup recipe, please realize I do NOT cook by recipes but more by the force, hah hah...I fly by the seat of my pants, but here is kind of a loose description of what I did with this soup and all measurements are approximate and to taste. You can literally use whatever you want in it veggie wise or add meat if that's your thing, etc. I avoid aromatics like onions and the like because my husband has some allergy issues, so that is why there are none here but you can add them. Again, YMMV.

Also, I like to do this one in my Dutch oven:

Four cups of whatever stock/broth you want (I used half chicken and half veggie Better Than Bouillon)
1 large or 2 smaller sweet potatoes (I used the pale yellow sweeter variety, not yams) chopped up
3 or 4 other smaller potatoes (I actually used about 12 of the petite tricolored fingerling type potatoes) chopped up
3-ish carrots chopped up
3-ish stalks of celery chopped up

Let simmer until the veggies start to get tender, then add:

1 red pepper chopped up
Whatever other veggies you want (I had a leftover mix of fresh corn and Rotel from another recipe that I added here but sometimes will use frozen mixed veggies)
One can of stewed tomatoes
One can of fire roasted tomatoes
One can of beans, drained and rinsed (I used a tri-bean blend but use whatever)

4 tablespoons hot sauce (I used Frank's)
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce (I used Kinder's)
1 tablespoon chili powder (I used Ancho chili powder)
A couple of splashes of liquid smoke
Salt and pepper as needed

Season to taste, let simmer until everything seems blended and veggies are soft...soup should be bubbling and fragrant!

Have a great day, Watulans!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in