Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-21-21, 04:44 PM  
Leonana

Today was Walk Strong 1 Total Body, and I used 6 and 8 pounds. I feel I am back to normal, at least my energy is back. I'm still going to wait another week at least for L&S.

Donna, I can relate! My dd has dated four guys in the past four years. It sounds like a lot, but actually only a few months for each, so most of the time she hasn't been dating anyone. I call them 1, 2, 3 and 4, lol. Number 2 is the only one that broke up with her, and she was really hurt. Number 3 and 4 were nice, but not right for her, I feel like she's gun shy now and picks the wrong guy. It's always something, isn't it! I think as long as your dd is taking care of all her responsibilities, then she is fine. Dealing with relationships is part of growing up. But I know how worrying it can be. You want to give them advice and protect them from hurt, but of course they have to learn it on their own.

Regarding mental health, my dd's psychiatrist diagnosed hypomania, which is a lesser form of bipolar (I think), or social anxiety. Apparently, you don't have a diagnosis until you see how the medication works. The psychiatrist prescribed a mood stabilizer first, however, it didn't help her anxiety. So dd is being weaned off of the mood stabilizer and taking an anti-depressant. After taking the anti-depressant for a month, dd told me she is feeling much better, and she's more social and talks more to people. I wish she didn't need medication, but I'm thankful that the anti-depressant is helping. So based on the medication, my guess is my dd has social anxiety, and not hypomania. It's hard enough to parent, but then throw mental health into the mix, along with a pandemic, and I'm surprised we're still sane!
Old 09-21-21, 04:58 PM  
donnamp

I know exactly what you mean, Sherry. I think my DD could honestly use an anti-depressant. It is so hard to find a psychiatrist and get an appointment w/in a reasonable time, though....so we have been hesitant to pursue and I am not sure a primary care is the best place to go for an evaluation. There is a definite history in our family of depression/anxiety. Last night she was feeling depressed, but I honestly think it was lack of sleep from the past weekend.

It is a journey!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 07:31 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been posting, but the past week or so has not been great. Donna and Sherry, I see you're also having mental health issues with your DDs, and my nephew had an episode last week that was scary. He saw a psychiatrist who said he's ok and just isn't getting enough sleep (he has a job with crazy hours and apparently was partying too much so not sleeping much), so he came home for about 5 days and was perfectly fine, so it's odd. He went back to college yesterday so we'll see what happens, but I feel like kids this age are totally stressed out. Much more than we were at this age, and COVID doesn't help.

Then, another relative is sick and may have COVID, so we're waiting for the test results. He's actually having mild symptoms (he's vaccinated) but I was with him the day before he started having symptoms and I'm supposed to go on vacation Friday, but I'll probably have to cancel since I don't know if he has it or if I do (or will come down with it). Ugh...

Needless to say, I haven't done any workouts in almost two weeks. I went to the beach yesterday because I needed a break and that was a nice diversion. Great weather and I walked 11,000 steps, so that's the closest I've come to exercise. I hope to get back to it tomorrow.

Liz, How was the office? My company hasn't said anything about going back, which is fine with me!

Donna, I actually think it's good your DD is home for now, even if it's odd for you to witness some things you'd rather not, lol. College is still not exactly normal due to COVID and I don't think she's missing much.

Sherry, I had never heard of hypomania so I looked it up and it does sound like what my nephew experienced. It's good your DD got a diagnosis and the meds are helping.

Pam, Hope your shoulder is better!
Old 09-21-21, 07:34 PM  
Leonana

Donna, my dd went to a counselor first. TBH, I wasn't impressed with the counselor's information on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, but I hoped she would help. DD was over 18, so I didn't choose the counselor. DD went once a month for about six months. Eventually, the counselor said she thought dd was bipolar and referred her to a psychiatrist. I didn't agree with the bipolar diagnosis, as I didn't see signs myself. DD didn't go for about six months, but eventually made an appointment.

So, dd found the psychiatrist through her counselor. I looked the psychiatrist up online, and I like her website. She only deals with children and young adults. Her website also says she recommends diet and exercise first, before prescribing medication. And I agree, I don't think you should go through primary care. Even if you have to wait, I'd make an appointment with a psychiatrist.

Starbucks provides free online counseling for six months, and dd recently started using that benefit. She told me that this new counselor was helping her a lot with CBT. She said that she didn't think her last counselor was very good at counseling CBT, and didn't explain it well. I said, I thought so! I had looked at the counselor's handout, and thought, this isn't like the CBT I've read about. DD has said that the counseling helps. I'm glad Starbucks has that benefit.

I think there is definitely history in my family of anxiety, depression and bipolar. I also think that it's harder for young people, with the internet letting them know of all the bad things happening in the world. When I was younger, I was in blissful ignorance!

I completely understand being hesitant. It's hard to trust your child to a mental health professional, and my dh is more hesitant than me. DD took it out of her hands and pursued it on her own when she was 19. She's 20 now. After graduating from high school, she tried a full time job at Consumer Cellular. She had panic attacks and some depression during that time, and it pushed her to pursue help. She has done better at Starbucks, the other job wasn't right for her. I do feel bad that we didn't notice it ourselves, but our dd never talked to us about it. She always had a job and friends, so we didn't realize there was a problem. She was distant and grouchy with us, but we didn't know if it was normal teenage behavior or something else. I'm glad she did recognize it, and we've supported her in pursuing help, and have paid for it.
Old 09-21-21, 07:47 PM  
Leonana

wishiwasinhawaii, I think my dd has social anixiety, instead of hypomania. If I'm understanding it correctly! Apparently, diagnosis is difficult, and it is based on the drug that works. If the mood stabilizer worked, then she had hypomania. If the anti-depressant worked, then anxiety. So far, the anti-depressant has made the most difference.

I'm sorry your nephew had an episode. I think lack of sleep contributes a lot to a breakdown. I had one once, and it was due to lack of sleep. DH was out of town for a few months, and I was not sleeping at all. Combine that with the pandemic, and I really feel for the poor kids.

I'm sorry about your relative and your covid exposure. That really stinks about your vacation. I hope you don't come down with it too. I've heard that covid is now endemic, and not a pandemic, which means we will all be exposed at some point. I'm putting faith in my vaccination, and trying not to think about it! I reassure myself that it will keep us out of the hospital.
Old 09-21-21, 08:27 PM  
donnamp

Thank you guys for sharing so much.

I really do think that lack of sleep and stress can contribute to these things. In fact, I think DD's mood yesterday was the result of not getting enough sleep and downtime on the weekend.

I think it is hard to know what is normal teen-age/young adult behavior and what is something to be concerned about.

There is a lot more stress for kids/young adults these days as well.

Sherry - I'm glad your DD pursued help on her own! That shows a great deal of self-awareness

wishiwasinhawaii - I'm glad your nephew is ok. I told my DD to keep a diary of sorts about her sleep, what she ate, and good/bad events of the day - to see if she can find a common trigger for her moods. She also gets headaches and I have told her to keep track of these things, too. Her headaches actually seem much better - she was resistant to wearing sunglasses but now she does all the time and I think that made a difference. She was also resistant to sleep but was much better today after a good nights sleep. I hope your relative is ok and that you are, too.

So much stress.

Donna
Old 09-22-21, 12:05 AM  
lizh

Hi all,
I wanted to check in after doing another Lively Ladies routine today. Today's was a 20 minute arm routine which was perfect to do before I hopped in the pool to relax. I like her personality and straight forward approach. Similar to Pahla B. Thanks Donna for recommending her!

Donna, Sherry, wishiwasinhawaii, I'm sorry to hear the worries about the young adults in your lives. I think living through this last year and a half has been very tough. I can't imagine piling on the social pressures of being young and learning to be an adult on top of it! My heart goes out to all of you.

My trip to the office was canceled today because my boss is sick. Not sure what he has, but I was glad to put it off for a few days. Wishiwasinhawaii, I hope you can still go on vacation. Where are you headed?

I just put in for a few days of vacation in early October since it feels like work is finally calming down a bit. I would be happy to stay home and have a staycation, but I think my husband wants a change of scenery. We'll see!

take care everyone! and get your sleep!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-21, 08:02 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did take a walk w/ my Golden during lunch - it isn't very strenuous due to her sniffing and rolling in the grass along the way - but it is better than sitting at my desk for hours on end.

Today, so far, has been:

CS 1213
The Balanced Life Pilates Challenge Day # 3

I will try to get something else in, time permitting!

It is raining here, so no walk.

I took the day off from work today b/c I have three appointments - for my dogs (vet visit), for myself (mammogram) and for my car (check engine light!)

So it will be a busy day. I absolutely dread mammograms and can't wait for it to be over and pray that it is uneventful. Out of all of the many I have had over the years only 2 or 3 have been uneventful. it is at the point where my Dr. writes a script for diagnostic and ultrasound. it is so nerve wrecking. But hopefully at the end of the day I will have at least a free pass not to worry about it for a few more months.

Liz - I really like LL, too. I am considering doing her workouts 3X a week - she posts new ones on M-W-F. And filing in the rest of the time w/ whatever.

Another friend on a different check in is doing Silver & Fit. And as much as I hate the title, b/c it makes me feel old - they have a ton of workouts on You Tube - from beginner to advanced, all different formats. Keli Roberts leads some of them - if i could swallow my pride over the title, I will try one! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverandfit

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 09-22-21, 02:40 PM  
donnamp

Two appointments down, one to go. The good news is the dogs and I are fine, now off to my car appointment. It has been an expensive day - two canine physicals, flea/tick/heartworm and my Lab's arthritis medicine....very expensive day.

Donna
Old 09-22-21, 04:01 PM  
Leonana

Today was Strictly Strength from the Get Strong dvd.

Donna, I’m glad your dd is feeling better. I checked out Silver & Fit and they have over a thousand workouts! They have an impressive selection.

Liz, that’s great you got to stay home today. Relaxing in the pool sounds nice!

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy