Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-24, 12:56 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Thank you to all who replied.

I think the “obesity problem” is a myth. First off, just google the real history of the BMI to see why using the BMI to determine health risks is total crap. It wasn’t created by a doctor and the creator, literally, said not to use this measurement on human populations. Or, how the powers that be changed the BMI numbers and overnight a huge population of Americans became “obese”.
Nevermind that the real history of fatphobia is rooted in white supremacy. Try reading Fearing The Black Body: The racial Origins of Fat Phobia by Sabrina Springs which is regarded as one of the top works in the field due to the well researched documentation.

There are plenty of fat people with healthy biomarkers. There are plenty of thin people with horrible biomarkers. You know why? Genetics. To place some kind of moral judgment on people who are fat or thin is extremely problematic on so many levels.

And trying to say as long as someone is “healthy” than that’s all that matters or you just want your fat friend to be healthy is equally problematic. People are fat for many reasons. They could have serious and chronic medical conditions that prevent them from being your definition of what healthly is. How about instead, we stop judging people and accept that bodies come in all shapes and sizes and just show respect and kindness to everyone.

I have read so many stories about fat kids being made to hate themselves. These kids were active; they played; they roller skated; they swam. They were just fat which, apparently, was enough of a reason to subject them to a lifetime of self hatred and eating disorders. I have said before that kids first learn to hate themselves at home and I stand by that.

The only reason being fat is considered an “epidemic” is so pharmaceutical companies and doctors can make money off of a fake “illness”. Someone mentioned Fen-Phen (where people would actually go on to die).

Fatness has never been shown to cause a single health problem despite flashy headlines. The headline that “obesity kills 300,000 people a year” was proven false and retracted by the researchers but the damage was done. If you don’t believe me read The Obesity Myth which is chock full of actual studies.

When O went on weight loss drugs, my heart dropped. Here is a SEVENTY year old woman who by all accounts is an incredibly successful individual who is still worried about being thin and her self worth being defined by her weight. How very, very, very sad. I will not let that happen to me.

To circle back around, I feel like gyms should be about providing a healthy option for people to get strong and improve their heart health with whatever body they are in and at the level that is right for their body based on their circumstances. That should be the focus.
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 03-24-24, 01:10 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I wonder if it's because so few on this forum use gyms...most seem to be home exercisers. So maybe a shift in gym culture or services aren't really affecting them. Just a thought.

I feel like I'm constantly trying to counteract the subtle and not so subtle appearance onslaught my daughter battles from EVERYWHERE. Self acceptance and appreciation are constantly attacked in marketing.

I will say that the hard work and daily discipline necessary for long term fitness and health isn't a particularly appealing marketing technique
Yes, I don’t use a gym and haven’t seen the latest marketing.

I have a daughter and can relate to that too. She struggled in her teens despite my efforts to build her self esteem. Social media can really be damaging to young women. She’s 23 now and is doing better, but I can still see the effects sometimes.

Regarding your last paragraph, that’s also true of some influencers and their claims that you can spot reduce or get the perfect body.
Old 03-24-24, 01:25 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post

To be honest - I’m kind of disappointed that nobody else on this forum seems to care about this new pivot by gyms.
I must've read your original post at least a half dozen times. I didn't respond earlier, as I was afraid I'd get on my soap box and someone would have to come by and shove me off.

How often do you hear our public health authorities emphasizing the need for healthy lifestyles - exercise, exposure to sunlight and fresh air, stress management, adequate sleep, and eating a diet that is appropriate for your individual needs? On the other hand, you can't turn on the TV or pick up a print publication without being bombarded by pharma ads. I fear there will be inadequate risk/benefit analysis before these medications are prescribed for non-diabetics and a lack of ongoing monitoring for complications.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
Old 03-24-24, 01:40 PM  
bubbles76

It can be bad for boys too. Tiny Bubble is a bit chubby. Most days he's okay with himself and even jokes that he loves to eat. But some days he gets really sad about it, and says that kids think it's okay to tease fat kids just because they're fat. He feels that he's powerless to do anything about it because, since he's taller and bigger than most kids, the school will just assume that he started the problem. I know that if me and Big Bubble had not created a foundation of self love for him that it could be much worse. However, it still tears me apart when he picks apart his body because of his size.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-24-24, 02:13 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Bubbles, I agree 100%. A great book I found helpful is Fat Talk: Parenting in the Age of Diet Culture by Virginia Sole-Smith. She discusses the honest battle parents face between wanting our kids to grow up with self love versus wanting to intervene knowing how society will treat them. I read the book myself and found it incredibly thought provoking and extremely helpful. I was dealing with a similar situation with my son. I was very surprised to find him dealing with this as I thought boys were more immune to the cultural obsession with thinness. It was eye opening. I hear you and I know exactly what you are going through. Virginia has lots of good ideas in her book. I could feel your pain as I read your post because I have shared it. Thank you for posting.
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 03-24-24, 02:17 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
I must've read your original post at least a half dozen times. I didn't respond earlier, as I was afraid I'd get on my soap box and someone would have to come by and shove me off.
Please post away!!!!!! We need more voices and more soap boxes!! You never know who is lurking and reading this forum. I look at it that if even one person is helped and knows that they are not alone than it’s worth me getting pushed and punched while I cling to my soap box!!
Old 03-24-24, 02:42 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Thank you to all who replied.

I think the “obesity problem” is a myth. First off, just google the real history of the BMI to see why using the BMI to determine health risks is total crap. It wasn’t created by a doctor and the creator, literally, said not to use this measurement on human populations. Or, how the powers that be changed the BMI numbers and overnight a huge population of Americans became “obese”.
Nevermind that the real history of fatphobia is rooted in white supremacy. Try reading Fearing The Black Body.
Hi,
Obesity is a real problem and it has grown as a problem in the last 40 years (I have been a nurse since 1986 and the difference in the patient population is very apparent).

It is not fake. Obesity contributes to many conditions that lead to compromised health and death.

Also, I think your statement about fatphobia/white supremecy may be why people may be reluctant to contribute to this thread. Probably best to save that type of statement for a different type of forum. JMHO.

Please read this post imagining me having a very kind and civil tone, because that it is the spirt of this post. Thanks!
Old 03-24-24, 02:48 PM  
Gams

I was talking to a friend the other day who told me that her grandson has gained a little weight - not sure, but I think he’s nine or ten years old. Her son has started making the grandson get up at 6:00 every morning to jog. I was horrified and a little sad at the same time.
Old 03-24-24, 04:23 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I would not mind messaging about obesity IF government / society / business took some responsibility for it. For now, the messaging is that it is the individual's fault - whether lack of discipline, laziness, bad habits, etc. etc. But in actuality, the ability to move - throughout the day - has been engineered out of our life now. Many jobs are completely sedentary. Commutes are long. Schools don't offer Physical Ed anymore and kids are bussed, rather than having the ability to walk to school. Neighborhoods do not have sidewalks, and, like mine, are not safe. All of our household tasks have been made "easier" by machines and technology.

I also believe our bodies crave a certain level of nutrition, including vitamins and minerals. We will eat until our bodies get what it needs. Unfortunately, with today's foodstuffs, that means we are also getting a lot of junk calories we don't need. Coupled with lack of movement throughout the day, we gain weight.

-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 03-24-24, 05:02 PM  
Leonana

Judgment about looks also affects thin people. My dd has always been thin, but was a late developer with no bust. You’re supposed to be thin and have big boobs. I had a similar issue when young, being small busted means there is something wrong with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
Hi,
Obesity is a real problem and it has grown as a problem in the last 40 years (I have been a nurse since 1986 and the difference in the patient population is very apparent).

It is not fake. Obesity contributes to many conditions that lead to compromised health and death.

Also, I think your statement about fatphobia/white supremecy may be why people may be reluctant to contribute to this thread. Probably best to save that type of statement for a different type of forum. JMHO.

Please read this post imagining me having a very kind and civil tone, because that it is the spirt of this post. Thanks!
Thank you for posting, everything I’ve read has said obesity is a health issue. Not as much in your 20’s and maybe 30’s, but a real health risk as you get older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I would not mind messaging about obesity IF government / society / business took some responsibility for it. For now, the messaging is that it is the individual's fault - whether lack of discipline, laziness, bad habits, etc. etc. But in actuality, the ability to move - throughout the day - has been engineered out of our life now. Many jobs are completely sedentary. Commutes are long. Schools don't offer Physical Ed anymore and kids are bussed, rather than having the ability to walk to school. Neighborhoods do not have sidewalks, and, like mine, are not safe. All of our household tasks have been made "easier" by machines and technology.

I also believe our bodies crave a certain level of nutrition, including vitamins and minerals. We will eat until our bodies get what it needs. Unfortunately, with today's foodstuffs, that means we are also getting a lot of junk calories we don't need. Coupled with lack of movement throughout the day, we gain weight.

Neita
I agree with this too. Overweight people are subject to a lot of judgement for something that is sometimes out of their control. There is some economic privilege involved too. Sadly, they sometimes get a lot of judgment, and a lack of compassion, for their health issues from their health providers.

Tags
body image, gym, gyms, obesity