Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-22, 06:04 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
difit, thank you for starting the Spring Reading thread!

I'm reading The Storyteller by Dave Grohl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I really enjoyed that book.
I really enjoyed it too.

Just finished Good Neighbors by Sarah Langan. Didn't expect to like it and I was right. Now I'm reading Other People's Children, which I don't have high hopes for.

I have a couple of really good books waiting for me at the library and am excited about getting those.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-22, 06:10 PM  
sherry7899

Erica, I asked my library to order Good Neighbors. I am glad I did not buy it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-22, 06:36 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Erica, I asked my library to order Good Neighbors. I am glad I did not buy it.
Oh, please let me know how you like it after you've read it! The reviews are mostly good and I'm very picky about contemporary fiction so it may be just me - hope you like it better than I did!

Erica
Old 03-05-22, 08:13 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’m about 60% through “The Good Sister”. I liked “Elenor Oliphant is Completely Fine” and it kind of reminds me of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-22, 09:50 AM  
DCW

I am on the library's wait list for Jude Deveraux latest book. I am glad to know it will be available soon.

Thanks!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-22, 10:19 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm still reading Autobiography of a Yogi; I read before bed, so I don't usually get far. I'm also still reading The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. I really enjoyed this one to start, but it is majorly dragging for me now! It feels bogged down by temporal shifts and too much foreshadowing until we actually get to the story.

I think I am going to re-read Pride and Prejudice next. I read it back in high school and didn't really like it, but I believe I'll have more appreciation for it now, especially given that I've read the "Mr. & Mrs. Darcy" series.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-22, 12:08 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
... I think I am going to re-read Pride and Prejudice next. I read it back in high school and didn't really like it, but I believe I'll have more appreciation for it now, especially given that I've read the "Mr. & Mrs. Darcy" series.
One thing I love about Jane Austen's work is that it stands up so beautifully to multiple re-readings. You can read them as straight up love stories, sure, but I really enjoy the humor and the character portraits. These books may be old, but people are still very much the same.
Old 03-06-22, 01:12 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

I think I am going to re-read Pride and Prejudice next. I read it back in high school and didn't really like it, but I believe I'll have more appreciation for it now, especially given that I've read the "Mr. & Mrs. Darcy" series.
I read so much good literature in high school and had excellent teachers but I definitely didn't appreciate those books the way I do now. Maturity and also the pressure of having to read a certain amount each night and be tested on the material didn't make the reading enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
One thing I love about Jane Austen's work is that it stands up so beautifully to multiple re-readings. You can read them as straight up love stories, sure, but I really enjoy the humor and the character portraits. These books may be old, but people are still very much the same.
I agree! Her writing really is timeless!

Erica
Old 03-06-22, 01:15 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anna, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. When I recently read Sense and Sensibility, it took me a little time to adjust to the writing style, but after that I really enjoyed it.

Erica, same! There were some things I enjoyed, but other works that I think kind of got the life sucked out of them by how they were taught. And there was a lot that we didn't cover - I went back and read a lot of classics on my own when I was in my 20s.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-22, 01:45 PM  
DD546

I just finished reading Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None." I thought it was brilliant!
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, danielle friedman, kindle, reading, spring reading