Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-24, 09:02 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Mary, I do think focusing on something helps us to establish patterns. Doing my first sadhana back in 2005 made yoga become a bigger part of my life in general.

I'm still planning to go to 60 days. I've been doing mostly shorter practices but went to a lovely 90 minute yoga/live music class on Saturday.
I am working on consistency more than anything else. I think it is helping for sure. Cheering you on to your 60 days.
Old 02-17-24, 02:02 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Savasana-based activities (especially one that I hadn't done before) still interest me. I've begun this newest period with more lying down, but I hope to do more extensive activities, such as yoga nidra (especially because I'm no longer as likely to fall asleep in the middle), simple breathing-based activities, and a relaxation practice associated with a yoga tradition.

I'll try an asana experiment soon and let you know what happened. (I still can't send longer posts anyway!)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-24, 09:15 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

On a hunch today (I'm feeling better generally), I tried the "original" asana set and haven't had noticeable problems. I have more strength, flexibility, and balance than a few weeks ago, and an earlier position-specific problem hasn't recurred (at least so far).

After that, I added savasana, including what I've mentioned as a mild breathing practice, a particular relaxation technique, and a short period in deep relaxation.

I don't know what I'll do tomorrow, but this and other options are even more appealing than when I was feeling worse. The other activities (readings and meditation course) also continue.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 02-23-24, 12:14 PM  
Izzy

I got sucker punched last weekend with a bad cold and soldier on as best I could. I missed a full day on Tuesday which was my worst day. After Tuesday it was just a lot of congestion. Hopefully by next week I will be back to my fighting self. I am happy I really only missed 1 day.

I hope all is well.
Old 02-24-24, 09:35 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Mary sorry to hear that! Glad you are starting to feel better.

I'm still moving towards 60 days. I might not even stop there because it feels like I'm giving my body a break with not trying to force a lot of cardio and strength work - although I'm still doing a little and have also been doing near-daily Pilates.

This past week I did several videos from Alison Ray Jeraci's free prop challenge - so far I've done blocks, bolster, and strap, so I still have blanket and chair to go.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-24, 12:47 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Mary sorry to hear that! Glad you are starting to feel better.

I'm still moving towards 60 days. I might not even stop there because it feels like I'm giving my body a break with not trying to force a lot of cardio and strength work - although I'm still doing a little and have also been doing near-daily Pilates.

This past week I did several videos from Alison Ray Jeraci's free prop challenge - so far I've done blocks, bolster, and strap, so I still have blanket and chair to go.
I am getting there, thank you. I am also extending my goal. I am thinking Mid-May. I will keep you posted. I did miss the sick days but I will tag them on at the end.
Old 02-24-24, 07:34 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Mary, no one is keeping score, right? I think of a sadhana as something you do for yourself.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-04-24, 09:17 AM  
Izzy

Hello, checking in. I am still plugging along and being mostly consistent. My goal is to reach Mid-May. We will see what happens. Lovely spring weather here in the mid-West.
Old 04-05-24, 07:14 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

I finished the meditation course. My study shifted from what I first started reading to something else, heh, that was actually closer to "yoga" as a broad interest.

I've started a new sadhana! I now have access to a meditation book mentioned in an earlier sadhana thread (Richard Hittleman's 30 Day Yoga Meditation Plan) and am using that for the meditations to see what I learn.

The book does provide for a few asanas (or a different set from elsewhere in the author's writings) before each meditation practice--but because of my continuing physical constraints, I've substituted learning tai chi, which I was also learning anyway and fits my physical obstacles better than trying to do certain asanas for the moment. (I didn't originally intend to use the tai chi in this way, but I realized how it could fit in this spot.) A few days have meditation on the sensation of those asanas, but I've substituted tai chi. I'm also using technology to replace an actual lit candle and other items as visual meditation objects. Otherwise I'm trying to follow the 30-day schedule and its instructions as intended. (I am not yet committed to using the "results" from this plan for a long-term practice, as the author intends, but we'll see what happens.)

I'm also following a course of relatively short readings.

As certain positions and movements become easier, I hope to ease into different asana-based practices from familiar books, though I expect to keep the tai chi as part of the current sadhana.

I also hope to post more detail in this thread, sooner than later, about the relaxation method mentioned earlier.

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 04-05-24, 07:45 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I wound up ending my sadhana at 88 days last Thursday - I would have gone longer, but I had to go out of town for family stuff. I probably won't continue daily but want to make a more concerted effort for near-daily yoga.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
sadhana, vf sadhana