Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-13, 08:41 PM  
Debbie

OT: Kind of? Measuring Body Fat

Hi all I'm curious if anyone here tracks their bodyfat? If so how do you do so? Calipers, Tanita scale, bodpod, etc.?
Old 10-23-13, 02:54 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, each time i step on my tanita scale.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 07:13 AM  
SpiritYogi

I use digital calipers. I know they're not 100% accurate, but it gives me a consistent gauge to go by each month.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 10:35 AM  
Debbie

Thanks for the replies! I guess not too many people here measure their body fat...that kind of surprises me?!
Old 10-23-13, 01:11 PM  
slysam

I haven't even been weighing myself lately--lol, this is a big step as I use to weigh daily. Anyway my scale does a body fat estimate. In addition, I use calipers (self administered so maybe not accurate) and measurements. I would get different estimates with different methods. The calipers gave a lower percent--which I liked and it did show trends in loss because I could pinch a little less as I lost fat. The scale gave a higher percent and was variable by hydration levels so it was important to try to keep the conditions as similar as possible to be able to see trends. I had the opportunity to have a bodpod measure done when I participated in a research study and sadly found my scale was closer to accurate than the calipers. But either one or simple tape measure measurements can be good for tracking fat loss progress.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 04:03 PM  
twinkletoes

Once in a while I use the caliper that came with one of the Beachbody sets but I don't think it's too accurate.

Does anyone have this? I wonder how accurate this would be.

Body Fat monitor
Old 10-23-13, 04:12 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I use my scale for a relative number. To keep the hydration factor to a minimum I do it first thing in the morning.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 05:17 PM  
patriots

I bought the hand held Omron Body Fat tester. I have had it for years. I do staff development fitness classes and I encourage everyone to get tested at least once in their life so they know what their percent is. I do mine about every 6 months or so just to track it. It works great is quite accurate for what I need and about what I guess on the people I test. It was about $36.00 then and I either bought it at Wal-Mart or Walgreens. I have seen them at our Scheels store also.
patriots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-13, 10:14 AM  
Kyra

I don't track it, currently. When I have in the past I used cheap-o calipers, specifically Accu-Measure. As it happens I recently had my body fat measured by several methods, including multi site calipers, multi site measures, bioimpedence (hand held) etc. (No scales, sorry.) We didn't have access to underwater weighing or bod pods or anything fancy like that.

The results were, everything gave very similar numbers, and were all within the margin for error of each other. Interestingly, Accu Measure brings me in at about 3-5% lower than any of the other methods, which sort of confirms my suspicion that it is biased low.

My point, I guess, is that there are many useful methods you can use at home; my suggestion is to pick ONE and use it for comparisons/tracking only; also remember that there is a margin of error in EVERY method, including the gold standard methods, so don't be too hung up on the number itself.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote