Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-21, 08:42 AM  
donnamp

I love this quote from Ellen Barrett's Affirmative Flow - I hope it is ok to post it here -

"You are a powerful entity. Your words really matter. So, speaking lovingly to yourself. Speak SO highly of yourself to others and yourself and I swear your body will fall into place. The body follows the mind. So keep those thoughts beautiful and you will soon have a functional amazing body."

this really just resonated with me - we are so hard on ourselves and our words to ourselves really do matter. If you look at "successful" people in the world, they are not necessarily successful b/c they are better, smarter, etc., they are usually successful b/c of the way they think about themselves and project themselves in the world. If you project confidence, you become confident.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 09:19 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Donna, I absolutely loved your post and the quote....
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 09:49 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Donna, I absolutely loved your post and the quote....
I do too but I don't know how to keep my thoughts beautiful or project confidence. I absolutely agree that we are too hard on ourselves and think we need to treat ourselves as we would a friend. I find myself saying things to myself that I would never ever say to a friend and I try to catch that and stop it.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 11:59 AM  
cailleach

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
You might be pleasantly surprised when you reach menopause. For me, it happened rather quickly. I was having regular cycles like clockwork, then skipped one here and there, and then just stopped. That was it. ... I feel much better now that I haven't had a cycle in almost 2 years, although I still have night sweats, hot flashes, and now some bladder leakage. I guess that estrogen was good for something.
OMG I checked everything listed here
regular cycles to sporadic to complete stop - check
night sweats - check
hot flashes - check (make it stop!)
bladder leakage - check

My body really changed, going from pear shape to apple shape. The weight gain did not go to my hips. It's all in the belly. It's like I have an invisible belt right above my hips creating a muffin top. This weekend I noticed how flappy my upper arms are. I've got my grandmother's arms! All these triceps pushups and overheads aren't doing anything? I can't control the genetics but I can control my body. I can move, walk, do cardio, lift weights, touch my toes. That's good enough for me.
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 02:17 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Erica- Have you tried to talk to a professional? There is no shame in asking for help. I have done it myself and found it helpful.

Cailleach- Love your attitude! As long as I am flexible, strong and in decent cardio shape along with good blood pressure/cholesterol numbers than I am happy!
Old 03-29-21, 02:47 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Erica- Have you tried to talk to a professional? There is no shame in asking for help. I have done it myself and found it helpful.
!
I need to do this but it's so expensive. I'm glad that you were able to find someone and that it was helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
You might be pleasantly surprised when you reach menopause. For me, it happened rather quickly. I was having regular cycles like clockwork, then skipped one here and there, and then just stopped. That was it. I remember a couple years prior to my periods ending though that I had raging PMS and crankyness.....I didn't even want to be around myself. After the cycles stopped so did the moodiness and brain fog. I feel much better now that I haven't had a cycle in almost 2 years, although I still have night sweats, hot flashes, and now some bladder leakage. I guess that estrogen was good for something.

)
I had the same experience with what I thought was a quick change to menopause, but now I'm not so sure. After 6 years without a period, I recently had my hormones checked and I was diagnosed with hypothalamic/pituitary dysfunction. So now I don't know if that's what caused my periods to stop suddenly or if I actually went through menopause. I have terrible insomnia and night sweats along with moodiness and brain fog that cold be a result of the insomnia. I am glad to be done with periods in any case, though.

Erica
Old 03-29-21, 03:33 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Erica, if you check out this website ( https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline) and contact them, they might be able to help you find a therapist near you that has a sliding scale (really reduced rate). I am not affiliated with them nor have I used their service so I can't comment on their quality but it might be worth looking into.
Old 03-29-21, 04:18 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Erica, if you check out this website ( https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline) and contact them, they might be able to help you find a therapist near you that has a sliding scale (really reduced rate). I am not affiliated with them nor have I used their service so I can't comment on their quality but it might be worth looking into.
Thank you so much for your support. I feel bad for derailing your thread.

The problem is that, like many people, I don't qualify for need on sliding scales since so many expenses aren't considered. I just can't justify the cost of therapy and will have to just keep on working on this myself one day at a time.

But thank you for everything. It means a lot that you care. And just reading your posts and seeing your success is inspiring to me. I hope all women can get there someday.

Erica
Old 03-29-21, 04:44 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Thank you so much for your support. I feel bad for derailing your thread.

The problem is that, like many people, I don't qualify for need on sliding scales since so many expenses aren't considered. I just can't justify the cost of therapy and will have to just keep on working on this myself one day at a time.

But thank you for everything. It means a lot that you care. And just reading your posts and seeing your success is inspiring to me. I hope all women can get there someday.

Erica
I hear you...check out body positive quotes and print some out to say as daily affirmations. Get a special notebook to write all your feelings in every day because it really helps to get them out. Check out inspiring books like Glennon Doyle's "Untamed". I actually also LOVED this book called Dietland! It was one of the most powerful and inspiring books I have read along with Untamed!!! I bet your library can get them for you to read for free. Keep your head up and know that you WILL get there!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-21, 04:53 PM  
Erica H.

Gemini2874 - thank you so much!

Erica

Tags
body acceptance, body positivity, perimenopause