Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-16, 10:30 AM  
Missiscipi

Not totally off topic - Collagen supplements joint pain

I wanted to share a crazy happen upon resolution for my chronic lumbar herniated disc pain and knee clicking/instability issue. So I was hit by a car almost a year ago. Left knee had a full MCL sever (which healed for the most part) and resulted in 2 herniated discs in my L4/L5. A year of hell with chronic pain and selling all my heavy weights and kettlebells. I hurt my right knee 3 weeks ago being stupid while warming up to do Tonique Premier. No pain, just clicking and instability and buckling.
About 2 weeks ago I was going to get my hair, skin and nails pills from Walmart. They didn't have it. So I got Neocell Collagen 1 and 3 with biotin. I noticed about 5 days later my back pain started to change and lessen. Then a week and a half later my knee stopped clicking and every day both got better and better. I thought the back pain resolution was from Foundation Training. The knee I thought was from icing it.
I ran out of my collagen pills (2 week supply - 6 pills per day) this past Monday. On Wednesday I noticed my back pain came back and my knee started clicking and became unstable. I couldn't figure out why. Then it hit me that I stopped taking the collagen. I googled collagen supplements and joint pain and it came up with alot of people having success with it. I went out and bought a bottle from Walmart and started taking it again. I am back to walking normal and my back is feeling better!!!

Rozy
Old 04-29-16, 10:43 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Glad it's working for you! But I think discussion of supplements is a taboo subject as written in the VF guidelines. Sorry & someone please do correct me if I am wrong.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 04-29-16, 10:47 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Glad it's working for you! But I think discussion of supplements is a taboo subject as written in the VF guidelines. Sorry & someone please do correct me if I am wrong.
Missiscipi, glad the collagen is helping!

I *think* it is OK to talk about Glucosamine/Chondroitin and other joint supplements? Also, calcium for bone health?

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-29-16, 10:51 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Missiscipi, glad the collagen is helping!

I *think* it is OK to talk about Glucosamine/Chondroitin and other joint supplements? Also, calcium for bone health?
You are right, looks like glucosamine is the one supplement up for discussion. Doesn't say anything about calcium or other joint supplements.
[EDIT] That being said, I think I might have to look into collagen.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 04-29-16, 11:07 AM  
Missiscipi

I wasn't sure about that being taboo but I am so excited I wanted to share. I also ordered "Strong Knees" based on a recent topic regarding knee issues. I will be doing that along with Foundation Training. I'm not going to go crazy here but I feel a light at the end of a very dark tunnel. I am crossing fingers these things help!

I wanted to also say that I pulled out my 8, 10 and 15lb weights to do Cathe's pyramid upper body. A month ago the heaviest weight I could lift without hurting my back was 3lbs in each hand. I'm not going to go crazy here but I feel a light at the end of a very dark tunnel. I am crossing fingers these things help!
Old 04-29-16, 12:23 PM  
Sara1000

I'm glad you posted this even if it IS against the rules - I've been wondering if there was a supplement that might help with a joint problem I've been having
Old 04-29-16, 12:32 PM  
donnamp

Thank you for sharing, do you mind sharing the specific product you are using? I would love to give this a try as I have aches and pains in my lower back and hip.

Donna
Old 04-29-16, 01:02 PM  
Sara1000

She said it was Neocell Collagen 1 and 3
Old 04-29-16, 01:11 PM  
Missiscipi

It is the Neocell Super Collagen 1 and 3 with Biotin http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Coll...count/17325180
I'm going with this one next on Amazon Neocell Super Collagen+C Type 1 and 3, 6000mg plus Vitamin C, 250 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00028NGEC..._so6ixbXAV4N7Z due to price and see if it works as well. It should since it is the same almost except for the biotin.
Old 04-29-16, 01:17 PM  
donnamp

thanks, I will look into this - worth a try, right?

Donna
Closed Thread

Tags
collagen, joint issues, joint pain