Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-11, 05:40 AM  
rhbrand

What's the best barre workout for your butt?

I really want to firm and lift up the old butt, but it seems like a few barre workouts really focus on the thighs, esp the quads.

So barre experts. What barre workouts really focus on the glutes and will help me get a nice butt.
Old 02-26-11, 08:16 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

IMO the creating a "barre butt" comes from a combination of:

1. Small isometric movements involving hip extension and leg abduction variations (turn in and turn out; different angles; etc.). Best in class: Core Fusion Thighs & Glutes - 3 challenging segments done in different positions (standing, kneeling, pretzel)

2. Larger range, dynamic movements involving similar exercises as well as "barre squat" position. Best in class: Physique 57 Vol.2; Leah Sarago Ballet Body (esp. 10-Variations in Foldover 1 and 21-Crossover and Diagonals)

3. Back dancing / Bridge work. Best in class: Grace Lazenby (iBallet 12 is my fave) and Bar Method.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 10:00 AM  
dickensgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
IMO the creating a "barre butt" comes from a combination of:

1. Small isometric movements involving hip extension and leg abduction variations (turn in and turn out; different angles; etc.). Best in class: Core Fusion Thighs & Glutes - 3 challenging segments done in different positions (standing, kneeling, pretzel)

2. Larger range, dynamic movements involving similar exercises as well as "barre squat" position. Best in class: Physique 57 Vol.2; Leah Sarago Ballet Body (esp. 10-Variations in Foldover 1 and 21-Crossover and Diagonals)

3. Back dancing / Bridge work. Best in class: Grace Lazenby (iBallet 12 is my fave) and Bar Method.
Hey Fuzz,any Bar Method in particular?? Also, what do you think of the bridge work in Squeeze with the feet up on the wall?

And were you ruling out all that glute-heavy TA stuff that gave me sciatica?

Jeri

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 10:15 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Ah, would love to see a thread with a list of all barre workouts and their emphases.
Old 02-26-11, 10:23 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensgirl View Post
Hey Fuzz,any Bar Also, what do you think of the bridge work in Squeeze with the feet up on the wall?
Good question, as that seems pretty similar to back dancing, although I tend to feel that work more in my hamstrings (still good; I just don't want to work the fronts of my thighs so much).

What about Booty Barre? I've heard that this one really works the butt (and of course, "booty" is in the name!). I am trying it myself for the first time tomorrow.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 10:24 AM  
kitty12

Of the DVDs I own, I think that Core Fusion (in particular the selection Fuzzie mentioned) is excellent. Also, Squeeze Stronger lower body workout - it has both back dancing and an awesome pretzel/clam combo. I think Squeeze Lower Body Challenge is very good as well with a combo of reverse lunges and barre work.

I was thinking of the original Squeeze as I typed it, but I've only done it once --- but I do remember I had some DOMS in my butt when I finished so think it is pretty good.

Booty Barre also has some great glute work. Rockin Models also has some great butt work. She includes both standing glute work and a really great floorwork section that includes bridge variations, clams, and some leg lifts.

P57 isn't a favorite for me as far as glutes - the moves are too fast and too large range so I usually don't really notice that I had that great of a glute workout when I'm done. There was another post a while back where myself and another poster agreed that P57 was a bit light on the butt (volume 2 since I don't have 1). But not everyone agrees.

In addition to barre, I do lunges and single leg squats twice a week, as well as my own combo of clams with resistance band and abductor leg lifts/leg circles with ankle weights. The combo of the exercise plus Barre, especially those I mentioned, have really made a noticeable difference in my butt. It is much more lifted and also smaller. (I went from a size 10 in pants to a size 6.)
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 10:33 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensgirl View Post
Hey Fuzz,any Bar Method in particular?? Also, what do you think of the bridge work in Squeeze with the feet up on the wall?

And were you ruling out all that glute-heavy TA stuff that gave me sciatica?

Jeri
Hi Jeri - I think all Bar Method dvds do a good job with back dancing (and a pretty good job with #1 - small isometric movement) and I like that they use a variety of feet positions and movements (e.g. large vs pulse; both hips vs one; lift up and down vs circles) but if I had to take just one it would be Dancer's Body since it is the most advanced.

I like the bridge work on the wall in Squeeze but I personally feel it more in the glutes with my feet on the floor. iBallet 12 has both feet on floor and feet on wall options - it's tough.

TA's glute work would fall in the #2 category or larger, dynamic movements. I use her workouts a lot for that (esp. Mat Workout and PD3).
Old 02-26-11, 10:40 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Good question, as that seems pretty similar to back dancing, although I tend to feel that work more in my hamstrings (still good; I just don't want to work the fronts of my thighs so much).

What about Booty Barre? I've heard that this one really works the butt (and of course, "booty" is in the name!). I am trying it myself for the first time tomorrow.
Beth - I too feel bridge work on the wall more in my hamstrings. I would put Booty Barre in the #2 category. Honestly, I feel that her live class on PilatesAnytime did a better job of hitting the glutes; the dvd is more thigh intensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
I think Squeeze Lower Body Challenge is very good as well with a combo of reverse lunges and barre work.
ITA. I do the reverse lunge with a ValSlide or Gliding Disk to further emphasize the glutes. The standing work targets the hips/glutes from all angles. I love Tracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
In addition to barre, I do lunges and single leg squats twice a week, as well as my own combo of clams with resistance band and abductor leg lifts/leg circles with ankle weights. The combo of the exercise plus Barre, especially those I mentioned, have really made a noticeable difference in my butt. It is much more lifted and also smaller. (I went from a size 10 in pants to a size 6.)
That's one thing I really like about Ballet Body - Leah includes lots of barre squat (similar to single leg squats) and lunges. Congrats on your results!
Old 02-26-11, 10:47 AM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post

That's one thing I really like about Ballet Body - Leah includes lots of barre squat (similar to single leg squats) and lunges. Congrats on your results!
I haven't got into the downloads so I'm hoping she comes out with a DVD soon!!

Interesting about the sliding disk!
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 10:51 AM  
lbrtyparrismommy

Lotte Berk High Round Assets did great things for my rear when I used it consistently. I know it's not very popular anymore, but it's a solid glute workout.
lbrtyparrismommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre butt, barre recommendations, butt, clam, glutes