Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-22, 04:04 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Favorite snacks and beverages for hot weather walking/hiking?

I've started doing more outdoor walking recently. I walked almost 6 miles the other day! I bring water, but wonder if I should bring some snacks and some kind of electrolyte drink. It will get very hot here soon. I can go in the a.m., but it might still be warm.

Any recs for good snacks and drinks for hot weather walking and hiking?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 04:53 PM  
SpiritYogi

I like to add this electrolyte powder to my water:

https://www.amazon.com/Stur-Electrol.../dp/B08T2219ZN

But when I just want plain water, I use this supplement:

https://www.amazon.com/Keto-Electrol.../dp/B07959HPLW

I love Larabars (cashew cookie is my fav(. They don't have a lot of ingredients but are filling and healthy.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 05:05 PM  
Floren

Do you like celery? Loaded with electrolytes and nutrients, so refreshing on hot hikes.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 06:25 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

For snacks, I used to like Clif Bars bars for very long/strenuous hikes. Only bad thing was I couldn't keep too many in the pantry because they're like a dessert so very tempting to eat at home. Sometimes also Kashi honey almond flax or Kashi trail mix bars, but again--very tempting to eat when not hiking. But the Kashi are light in weight and don't have chocolate so don't melt or anything. Clif bars are indestructible and easy to pack too.

I used to sometimes use the lemon flavored Vitalyte Electrolyte Powder back in the day added to water. But mainly I just drank water. The Vitalyte water (or gatorade) was reserved for very long, strenuous, hot hikes since it's like sugar water. I always carried plain water in one of those big water bladder things on my back with a tube and would pack just one bottle of electrolyte water.

Keep in mind I sweat A LOT and was terrible about getting an early start for my hikes in the summer (so would be hiking in the hot noon-day sun) so needed more hydration than most. Plus, I sometimes hiked alone on trails where I didn't have cell service and might not pass any other humans the entire day so was always paranoid about having enough water & snacks with me to last in case I got injured.

FWIW, I preferred Clif bars and electrolyte water to eating a banana or apple on an all-day strenuous hike. I tried the apple or banana thing a few times but found if I needed sugar, I got more relief from the Clif & Kashi bars and electrolyte drinks.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 10:26 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions!

If I drink Gatorade, I have to dilute it with water or I have digestive ill effects. Not a good idea on the trail.

I have some chia seeds to make chia water. They are supposed to be good for hydration.

From 33Fuel:

How do the Tarahumara Indians use chia seeds?

Based in northwest Mexico, the Tarahumara subsist largely on a plant-based diet of beans, avocado, tortilla and vegetables. They have long been known for their phenomenal endurance running capabilities – even the word Tarahumara means ‘those who run fast’ - and credit chia seeds as their main source of fuel for these feats.

Setting out to cover an astonishing 100 miles non-stop, a Tarahumara runner would take little more than chia fresca or ‘iskiate’ – simply water mixed with chia seeds (though sometimes they’d add honey or lime juice) – for stamina and hydration during these long jaunts in hot climes.

Also, I like coconut water. I could try that mix!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 05-07-22, 12:57 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

My favorite hiking snacks:

an orange, already peeled and segmented, in a container. Or watermelon chunks

what I call caveman trail mix (from a paleo recipe): equal parts unsalted cashews and pumpkin seeds, and unsweetened (Trader Joe's has them) dried cranberries.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 01:39 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Grapes and goldfish are my favorite hiking snacks in hot weather!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 05:12 PM  
edensmom

I am a hiker and a backpacker and I've never personally found electrolytes to be necessary, even with heat and elevation gain (both of which can cause excessive sweating, esp when carrying a 25+ lb pack for miles and miles). Just making sure to pre-hydrate and bring enough water. I have this https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RT1SW...ing=UTF8&psc=1 for backpacking and my husband likes to bring his on hikes as well. It works great if your route has water at any point. It's easy to use and the water tastes amazing.

As far as snacks, I bring stuff like trail mix,rice cakes + peanut butter, a tuna sandwich, beef jerky. But hydration is by far more important. If anything you can keep snacks in your car.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-22, 10:31 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for more replies!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 05-10-22, 03:51 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Thanks for more replies!
The older I get, the more uninterested I am in drinking water. I've always tended towards dehydration and now in my 60s, I feel that regular dehydration is impacting my energy levels. I hike, garden, walk, do strength training. A few weeks ago I started incorporating a "homemade" electrolyte drink and I feel it's had a very positive impact. I suggest trying & see what works for you!

Basically:
2 cups water
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
You can also add 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup of juice: lemon, etc.

I also noticed that it helps reduce my urgent need to pee every 45 minutes. The water actually stays in my body now.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrolytes powder, hiking snacks, hot weather, walking