Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-21, 12:22 PM  
michl43

Unhappy Carpal tunnel

Hi, any advice is appreciated.. my dr said I have CTS in my left hand and to wear a brace for 2weeks and gave me some exercises. I’m 61 and don’t have arthritis however I broke this wrist about 15 years ago. In hindsight what may have started it is I got a massage gun and was using it on my arms and hands too, I don’t know though. I’m just hoping that the splint and exercises will return it to normal.

Michelle
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-21, 12:34 PM  
Erica H.

Definitely wear the brace. I had carpal tunnel in both wrists for almost 20 years and finally had surgery. I put it off because of family obligations and then it got so bad that I was nervous about permanent nerve damage. I got instant relief from the surgery and only wish I had it sooner. But yours sounds early still so maybe yours can be treated with conservative treatment. Good luck!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-21, 01:39 PM  
Sollamyn

The braces really help me. I noticed an improvement in my CTS within a couple of days of wearing them. (I wear them overnight during sleeping hours only.) I had an office job for over 30 years and developed CTS during that time. Now that I've been retired for the last four years, my condition has improved, but I still use the braces for a few nights in a row here and there because my hands tend to 'go to sleep' whenever I do! Also, wearing the braces helps to keep my hands/wrists from getting tired/painful during my practice sessions on my dulcimer.

HTH,
Donna
Old 12-19-21, 04:38 PM  
michl43

Thanks for the replies. I started wearing the brace last night and hope it helps.
Old 12-19-21, 08:56 PM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Definitely wear the brace. I had carpal tunnel in both wrists for almost 20 years and finally had surgery. I put it off because of family obligations and then it got so bad that I was nervous about permanent nerve damage. I got instant relief from the surgery and only wish I had it sooner. But yours sounds early still so maybe yours can be treated with conservative treatment. Good luck!

Erica
I was at a meeting at work where 3 people all had the surgery. They all said the same thing that they wished they had gotten the surgery sooner. They were all about 20 years older. I marked that in memory so if it happened to me, that I wouldn't suffer too long. I am so glad you got relief!
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-21, 09:11 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michl43 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I started wearing the brace last night and hope it helps.
Hope it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
I am so glad you got relief!
It was amazing - instant relief after years and years of suffering! I also knew many people who had the surgery who all said they wished they had done it sooner.

Erica
Old 01-23-22, 06:25 PM  
michl43

I’ve been wearing the splint when sleeping and sometimes during day. It’s not getting any better at all It’s my non dominant hand. But I think I feel it on my pinky too but not as intense…(?)Well, I messaged my doctor, I am wondering if she treat me with prednisone. I have two more weeks to go with splint before neurology will do testing. I’ve asked her before and she said no because high blood sugar, However since 1/5 I’ve revamped my diet and cut out sugar
Old 01-23-22, 06:48 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
I’ve been wearing the splint when sleeping and sometimes during day. It’s not getting any better at all It’s my non dominant hand. But I think I feel it on my pinky too but not as intense…(?)Well, I messaged my doctor, I am wondering if she treat me with prednisone. I have two more weeks to go with splint before neurology will do testing. I’ve asked her before and she said no because high blood sugar, However since 1/5 I’ve revamped my diet and cut out sugar
Cubital tunnel affects your ring finger and pinky. It's possible you have both. I did but only needed carpal tunnel treated.

Will you have an EMG - is that the testing? If you're sure it's carpal tunnel I would try to skip the EMG - it's pretty unpleasant. I hate to say that but I think you should be prepared.

I'm sorry you're not getting relief. Carpal tunnel can be really miserable.

Erica
Old 01-23-22, 07:36 PM  
michl43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Cubital tunnel affects your ring finger and pinky. It's possible you have both. I did but only needed carpal tunnel treated.

Will you have an EMG - is that the testing? If you're sure it's carpal tunnel I would try to skip the EMG - it's pretty unpleasant. I hate to say that but I think you should be prepared.

I'm sorry you're not getting relief. Carpal tunnel can be really miserable.

Erica
She mentioned a nerve conduction test
Old 01-23-22, 07:45 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
She mentioned a nerve conduction test
Yes, that's it. Just be prepared for it if you have it. Mine was many years ago - maybe they are better now.

Erica

Tags
carpal tunnel syndrome