Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-26-22, 08:51 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Another cold start to the day at -14F, but it will warm with a new front passing through to the mid 20s tonight - still a cold walk with Gus. If it's still negative when we are ready to walk, we'll just do a few blocks in our neighborhood. Otherwise, not much planned for today - I might work on a project putting in an extension cord in my TV antenna for over the air broadcasts - needs new cord, bigger holes in my shelving and lots of work on the ladder.

Laura, sounds like a nice day over there - I assume that melted the snow! The whirligig park sounds cool! I should get to the library also - haven't been there since before the Covid days... Yeah, at first I thought I'd be using my free retirement time cooking more or baking, but naaah, not happening so far . If anything, I'm decreasing my time in the kitchen and buying more stuff that's already prepared, like roasted chickens, coleslaw and potato salads, soups and chilis, breads and cookies, pies, etc. I've not been making hardly anything from scratch any more - gotta say my kitchen was a lot cleaner from just standing there before Adelija got going on baking and preparing food!

Paula, glad DH was able to join you for a walk! I'm debating now whether I should get dressed to give Adelija another ride to school on this cold - she lucked out yesterday that I had a morning dental appointment to drive to. Yay! She got a ride from a friend coming to pick her up! I don't have the stand mixer or Instapot either, I actually gave away my rice cooker as I can do that in a pot pretty easily. I'm kind of slowly decluttering and downsizing my home stuff so I can move to a condo or apartment in about five years or so.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 08:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was a busy day. This morning, I did a pickup at Publix to stock up for a chicken stew I'll make DH in the crockpot in the next day or two. We did a load of laundry and I opened a bunch of boxes that have been delivered in the past week. This afternoon, I took DH to his PT appointment and dropped in for an adjustment with my chiropractor. This evening, I typed up a long summary of issues to go over with at my rheumatologist appointment tomorrow.

The whirligigs were created by a farmer who lived in that area using stuff he had laying around the farm. He never called himself an artist, but others did and it was recognized by putting his creations into that park.

Anita - I was watching the news this morning and they were covering how cold and snowy and icy it is in Minnesota around Minneapolis. You're definitely tougher than I am! I have found that you truly find out what your interests AFTER you retire. I never would have guessed that I'd get so into crafting. I probably wouldn't be so into cooking if DH didn't have so many eating sensitivities.

Paula - Yum. Homemade sandwich rolls. How did they turn out. It's nice to get a good report every day on DH. It's nice he's improving.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 10:19 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 9 Stretch followed by Yoga with Tim morning stretch.

We didn't do much with our day. I took the car to a full service car wash, filled up the gas tank, then went through the car with Armorall and leather cleaner/conditioner wipes. It really needed a thorough cleaning so that's checked off my mental list.

DH wanted out of the house for a bit so we went to lunch at CPK. It was next to a Sprouts so we went there after bought a bunch of apples, came home and made applesauce. See just another exciting day in our household. DH is getting better every day so that much is good. He does seem to spend a lot of time in his chair with a computer looking for things to buy that he didn't know he needed.

Anita, Work on a ladder fixing an antenna - yikes, sounds scary. I hope you'll have Adelija spotting you on the ladder. I hope it warms up enough that you and Gus can get in a nice walk tomorrow. Grocery markets have much better prepared stuff than they used to - the deli salad options are greater. When we were cruising on the boat we used those options when we could because it was so much easier than cooking on board. Plus kitchens so stay cleaner when no one actually cooks in them. I like to experiment and trying out new recipes has given me something to do during the COVID. I know you've been checking out places to move to when the time came for years now. Have you made a choice on a condo vs an apartment?

Laura, I love the story of the farmer who made the whirligigs. The sandwich rolls came out looking good, I haven't eaten one yet. I agree with you that you find new intersts or are able to more deeply pursue your interests after retirement. Does your DH's food sensitivites made you more experimental in cooking? Is it difficult to find things you both like? For us it is difficult because our tastes are different and because I'm a vegetarian and he is not.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-22, 09:22 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Busy day today, in a retirement world day . I'll be playing Carcassonne this morning, walking Gus, finish getting my antenna wire extension in, making dinner, getting Adelija to get a booster shot, taking her to a volunteer place, taking her from there to a friend' house for a sleepover (supposedly no school tomorrow) and coming home to go to bed.

So far the antenna project is moving forward - I have it threaded through my ceiling path, but I need to get it through a bookshelf hole that's too narrow for it yet. Luckily I have a speaker wire that's made this path before so I was able to get it through the high level by taping it together with the speaker wire. Now sanding the bookshelf hole to try to increase its size. Hopefully all will work!

Laura, good idea to write up your issues for your doctor - I forget all my issues each time I go in for the doctor - seems like they want to hurry me out as fast as possible . We're having weird weather - today is starting at 29F, but will end the day at 1F - temps are like a yoyo with a really long string! I like my work at the WRC after retirement - never miss a day of what my work used to be. Still enjoying my orchids (two blooming now, two more sending up shoots for blooms), and gardening outside, and of course Gus activities. I haven't started art projects or anything like that even though I have my art supplies downstairs (Adelija used them last fall) - I might get into that a bit also - so far seems television re-watching of old series is my daytime hobby (currently Farscape and Beauty and the Beast ).

Paula, Oh, I wish I can take my car for a good wash - temps should be a bit above freezing this weekend, so it's a possibility! The ladder work is inside - not the roof, so no spotters needed . I can afford a condo, so that would be first choice, but I'm looking from the space available in the unit and location, so it may be either type of place. My friend, Julie, had gluten sensitivity, so she developed lots of cooking skills to work around that - she did a lot of cooking and baking at my place also. Adelija just has a sweet tooth and makes cookies all the time .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-27-22, 09:33 AM  
Vantreesta

Anita, Farscape is one of my favorite shows! My dogs before Cyric were named D'Argo and Chianna!! Is it replaying on TV or are you watching on DVD? Hubby and I had started rewatching on DVD but then he started working so much and we haven't gotten back to it and that was a couple years ago. Car washes around you aren't open if it's below freezing? I think the ones here are open as long as it's above like 10 or 15. I need to get that done today since mine is filthy from the trip up north last wknd.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-22, 02:59 PM  
sciencelady

Hi Vantreesta! Farscape is on Comet TV - Chanel 23-2 in the Twin Cities area. These are the other places it's available:

Watch Comet TV on:
Comcast channel 1182
Comcast channel 251
Local Over the Air Broadcast channel 23.2

COMET is also available on:
Stream Online at CometTV.com/watch-live/
ROKU
APPLE TV
Amazon Fire TV (via the STIRR app)
Android Devices (via the STIRR app)
YouTube TV (for subscribers)
Dish channel 289
Sling TV

I do have the DVDs also! Our carwashes are open at temps below freezing, but I don't want my doors or windows to freeze when it's wet from washing. There will be long lines at the carwash this weekend when the temps are supposed to get above freezing.

Anita
Old 01-27-22, 03:18 PM  
Vantreesta

Anita, I'll have to see if we get Comet TV. Thanks! Totally makes sense about the freezing doors and windows. I come straight home from the car wash into the garage and dry everything off. Kind of a pain but it works.

ETA: Bummer, we don't get that channel. So glad we have the DVDs!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-22, 06:52 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It's cold - for here. Didn't make it out of the 40s. That meant Polly was around more than usual.

This afternoon, I went to the appointment at the rheumatologist. The appointment was actually with the PA who recently joined the practice. I really like her and we had a long appointment today talking through all the issues and her checking out my joints. There's multiple issues. my recent blood tests show I may be slightly anemic, so I need to take iron. I as diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 25 years ago and, in the meantime, I've developed osteoarthritis in multiple areas. Either or both conditions could be causing my stiffness. So, I'm going to take a new drug for the osteoarthritis since I'm not on anything for it and I'll go for a bunch of x-rays so they can see what's going on with my different joints. She'll also do a blood test to see if the infusions are still working or if they are creating antibodies that can prevent the drug from working anymore. From there, she'll determine what else we can do.

Anita - I hope that the work setting up the antennae works. I do miss training some days - actually standing in front of a room of people and leading classes. I do NOT miss the instructional design part or the project management piece. Both included too much stress and too many people getting in my way of accomplishing the goals. That's one reason I enjoy the Zoom training sessions. It gives me a taste of the old feeling leading classes.

Paula - I usually don't eat what DH eats. And it's not because of the gluten, but because he likes bland food. Most of his food is just too plain / bland / boring... It's more that he is from West Virginia and his family doesn't use much spice in their food.

Vantreesta - It's good that you have the option of "old technology" when you can't stream something. I would like to watch some DVDs, but our DVD player died. At some point, I may try to get another one.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-22, 10:09 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 10 - Cardio and Body Weight Strength, followed by Yoga with Tim Full Body Stretch. DH and I did a short neighborhood walk too.

Anita, sounds as though you're getting that wiring done. One good thing about being married to a guy who is handy is he does all that kind of stuff for us. I just stand by in case he needs help and do what I'm told. Glad Adelija is getting the booster. She sure seems to be making the most of her time in the US. I love orchids I could see myself getting into growing them, but I think they do the best indoors and I don't have the space. I think Laura's husband also has a gluten sensitivity and she has had to learn new cooking skills. Another thing you might want to look into when choosing between a condo and an apartment in sound proofing. My experience is there is way less sound coming through the walls in a condo as opposed to an apartment - there are usually just built better. Of course one of the factors might be we always lived in cheap apartments when we were starving college students and we never lived a quality one.

Vantreesta, thanks for dropping in.

Laura, Anita is right, smart of you to write down what you want to discuss with your doctor. Like Anita, my doctor always seems pressed for time. I always remember something I wanted to discuss with her after I leave. I can email her but the answers aren't always complete. I didn't know there was anything to take for osteoarthritis, I have it in my hands and my doctor has never recommeded anything for it. There are days when I could really use something for the pain and stiffness. Yeah, on the reasons DH and I don't eat the same things, in addition to my being a vegetarian is he doesn't like spice anymore. We used to share a love of spicy Mexican food, but now he says spicy foods give him indigestion. I find that sad.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 07:57 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Yay! I got the wiring done! My living room looks so much better without wires hanging from the ceiling - all is tucked up in the bookcase and lights - the antenna isn't as visible as before. I think even my reception of channels may have improved! Doing these types of projects give me a great sense of accomplishment .

Today I'm planning on working at the WRC, giving Gus a walk, and putzing around. Adelija slept over at a friend's house last night and will be spending the day out till late evening after a high school basketball game. She has no school today. I'm kind of enjoying my time alone in the house.

Laura, glad you had a good ear while you were at the rheumatologist's office - what drug are you now on for osteoarthritis? I take the naproxen for that. I've still got a VCR/DVD combo player, a blue-ray DVD player and then my Tivo box. I'll be sad when the VCR goes as I've saved some old favorites that I don't see shown on TV .

Paula, Adelija did get the booster yesterday! Nothing was said about paying for it - the vaccine was free, but they wanted payment for the nurses administering the vaccine (fine print on the email notice) - this was at the school administration building. Maybe I'll get a bill in the mail. I've got several orchid divisions that I'd like to sell or share with neighbors once the weather warms up again - my big orchids divide into three or more pots, I'll keep one, but want to find someone wanting the others. Lots of these have already been shared with one friend - we trade in both directions. Yup, soundproofing in living arrangements would be a good asset - some places do talk about what they've done to reduce sound, others I can hear conversations from next door... Water pipe noises are another issue for noise. I still eat spicy foods, but am cutting down on what I add to some foods.

Vantreesta, I do like having the TV shows that I have DVDs for recorded on my Tivo - seems I'll watch those while my DVDs just sit on the shelf. I'm glad Farscape is playing on this Comet channel - I watched when they showed Babylon 5 also.

Waves to all!

Anita