Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-21, 10:23 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post

But mainly it’s the expense. It’s cheaper at home.
Yes! I have saved thousands by working out at home. There are a few years where I invested in equipment that it probably came out about even to gyms, but mostly it’s cheaper than many gyms and vastly cheaper than boutique studios like barre and yoga. And I can do it barefoot a lot of the time, which I really like.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 10:25 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Yes! I have saved thousands by working out at home. There are a few years where I invested in equipment that it probably came out about even to gyms, but mostly it’s cheaper than many gyms and vastly cheaper than boutique studios like barre and yoga. And I can do it barefoot a lot of the time, which I really like.
Yes, I forgot about barefoot!
Old 10-24-21, 11:59 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think what would be really great is an outdoor fitness class that meets in nice weather, that isn’t far away. In order to have that I’d have to be the one to start it, though.
That does sound like a fun change up!

I will say when I have floundered at home it has helped me tremendously to find something to work towards. Whether it's a 21 day challenge, or to train for an event. Mine have been interest or charity driven. I know you don't want to start running but maybe there's a local charity walk/biking event you could schedule for yourself?
I have been challenging myself lately with outdoor hikes and they have built in challenges (as far as fitness, strength and mobility) especially with the altitude which suit my overall commitment to being resilient. I study up on them and plan how I need to get ready for them. Anyway those events have directed the workouts I choose and how I train and spice things up as I focus on those goals.

I have also focused on certain skills for short periods that I'd like to develop that feed into overall fitness and I think those also help me keep any blahs minimized.

Anything like that spark an interest for you?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 12:26 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I LOVE working out at home. I belonged to gyms for many years and also took karate for 4 years, but once I discovered DVDs, I never looked back. Gyms are cheaper now than they were back when I was going (the last time I went was in 2011), but I never liked the 'ick' factor of someone else sweating all over machines, and now with COVID, I'd have even less interest in belonging to a gym. I enjoyed karate, but kept getting injured so I stopped, but I still do some of what I learned on my own as a workout.

I could never go back to gyms or group exercise classes, but I'm pretty introverted and have never needed that interaction or encouragement from others anyway.
Old 10-24-21, 01:44 PM  
kat999

Yes and no. I love working out at home for workouts that require weights, but I prefer to jog outdoors for my cardio, and for fusion, flexibility, yoga, Pilates, barre, and similar, I prefer to go to my local yoga studio. COVID kind of messed up that last, but I think I may get braver and start going back sooner than later.
Old 10-24-21, 02:21 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Not in the least. I love it.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 05:40 PM  
muggle

No, NEVER! I workout early in the morning….I’m hideous at that hour! I’m sure my breath is questionable too! A friend of mine is a Pilates instructor and sometimes she’ll do a class outside. That’s the only time I’ve done “group” fitness.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 06:14 PM  
edensmom

Yes, I have gotten sick of working out at home. Right now I am doing well and don't have a gym membership but will likely get one again soon, once mask mandates are done. Working out in a mask is not something I enjoy. I LOVE the gym. I push myself harder when other people are there. Plus there's nothing else to do there, whereas at home sometimes I screw around so much I miss my window of opportunity to work out. Home is filled with distractions. I can lift heavier at the gym and there are more toys to play with. I also love live yoga class.
That said, I also enjoy working out at home. No commute, I can wear what I want, and there's no waiting for equipment. I tend to go in phases and switching back and forth has been helpful to breathe life back into my routine when needed.
I've gone to boutique classes and liked that too but in general found my dvds to be more challenging and thus a better use of my time and money. As far as saving money overall, I think dvds are more expensive! I spent way more buying everything under the sun whereas my gym membership was $10 a month for years.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 07:14 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i fall into the no camp. i grew up in a family that encouraged sports and we had a gym in the basement for the family.

when my siblings and i (4 of us) moved into our own homes all but one of us had gyms in our homes.

i would find it very strange to not have a gym since it's been like that for 50 years now.

i do have lots of equipment (like most people on this forum) and i think that keeps things fresh and interesting. when you have lots of gym toys nothing gets over used.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 08:08 PM  
DCW

Prior to Covid, I worked out in the morning with DVDs , walked at lunch with friends, and took a boot camp class at the local community rec center 2x a week. I miss my classmates. Some of us have been together longer than twenty years. I miss our class time together. Now another friend and I walked after work weather and sun permitting. Now it gets dark so fast. I have dusted off my bike and meet up with some other ladies once a month.

It looks like I will be back in the office soon so I have to figure out how to crawl out the bed and exercise before driving to the office. I have gotten so spoiled working out at home in the morning with my DVDs and then turning on the computer. Maybe it will help when time changes and I see daylight again.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boredom, home vs gym, motivation