Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-29-21, 12:03 PM  
Vantreesta

Pratima, I loved Grimm too! There aren't a ton of series I've bought on DVD but Grimm is one of them. Hubby asked me about buying Supernatural instead of recording it all but when I checked Amazon the cheapest price I found for the whole series was like $150 or $200 or smthg like that. Not especially interested in spending that much money for smthg like that right now.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 05:49 PM  
Vantreesta

I guess we should have started a winter thread by now. Kind of slipped my mind.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 01-02-22, 12:43 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I don’t have the energy to start a new thread right now, as sad as that sounds!

Both kids have recovered from COVID and are all clear. DH and I tested negative again. It’s so crazy out there! Jessy and I went to Atlanta for the Peach Bowl—very short trip and we were as safe as humanly possible. Pitt lost, but they made it a good game considering they had their 3rd or 4th string QB playing. I did not try to see Gail since we were there for only 23 hours.

One of DH’s childhood friends passed away yesterday from COVID. He was quite outspoken against any kind of prevention, and I’ll leave it at that. So sad cause it could have been prevented. One of the chiropractors at the practice we all go to passed away from it a few days ago as well. Add that to my friends who live in the town destroyed by fires near Boulder, and it’s been so sad lately. Miraculously, their house is still standing, but the fires came within a few hundred yards of it. They evacuated and are safe. Then add Betty White to the mix, which I realize she lead a long, good life, but still hard to think of a world without her.

So happier stuff, Megan and I got a bunch of new strength equipment, including a hex bar and a curl bar. I’m tweaking my plan to be more strength focused. She’s happily playing on her regular travel team and a futsal team, which I don’t quite understand, but she likes it. Jessy’s back at school safely and has a week to enjoy herself there before classes start, online for the first 2 weeks to try to keep everyone healthy.

Vantreesta: I saw how cold it was at the hockey game in Target Field last night. Holy moly! My older daughter loves Supernatural. She even begged us for a matte black car like theirs. We said no.

Pratima: I went to bed at 9:30 on NYE. I was so tired after traveling and staying up really late the night before. I hope you’re doing well.

Daphne: Hope you had a great time off work. I wonder if we’ll really get the snow they’re forecasting tonight/tomorrow. I really could use a few more days off, but I wanted to save as much annual leave as I could for 2022, since I know I’ll need it with both kids graduating, moving, etc.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 08:28 PM  
Vantreesta

We played D&D with friends all day today. I'm gonna have to force myself to get my yoga done tonight and that will probably be all I do.

Last night I did day 1 of my chiropractor's squat challenge, Cher's Hot Dance, day 1 of CVG's Movement Challenge (workout tester, two tabatas: mountain climbers, burpees, bicycles and air squats), and a Kassandra bedtime yoga practice.

Alison, I saw a picture of a shirt I just loved. It said run like Dean just saw you wreck the Impala!

Old 01-03-22, 12:14 PM  
Daphne M

So are we making a group executive decision to just stay with the "fall" theme until it's spring? LOL, I'm fine with that. We'll just pretend winter isn't happening. The days *are* getting longer already, after all.

Note: This is a fast update without shout-outs because Alison and I have a ton of heavy, wet snow falling here today and my power has been on and off all morning. It looks beautiful outside but it is going to be a tough one to shovel.

I have not adjusted to this whole back to work thing today. I was casually finishing up a bike workout this morning and deciding on what to do next when suddenly I realized that it was already 8:15 am and I should have been at my "desk" (dining room table) for at least 15 minutes already. Oops.

The break was great. I got to spend more time working out and got to add in more strength training, something I've been saying I was going to do for the last (gulp) two years. After a couple of weeks of adjustment, I'm getting short glimpses of that "lifting feels great" feeling again. It helps that I started small with intermediate-level Peloton strength workouts between 10 and 30 minutes each, generally very straightforward and attainable workouts. In the words of one of my Peloton instructors "progress, not perfection."

SIDE NOTE TO ALISON - I envy you your new trap bar! I often used one at Golds and loved it. I even priced them out at one point.

Recent favorite workouts:
  • Nick's Mix row (20 minute drive from 10/29). Random HIIT intervals spliced in with different music. Very entertaining.
  • Nick's "From the Heart" row (10 minute sweat from 12/22) Best story-time award. Spoiler alert: Nick's eyeball falls out at one point in the story. Yep.
  • Rad (Peloton) 30 minute Top 50 2021 Glutes and Legs strength (yowza, this dude really hits the glutes, holy holy crap, why do I keep going back for more?)
  • CDE 30 minute Holiday Reflection Ride. Beautiful music and I appreciate that Christine actually lets the music talk.
  • Some super easy Peloton workouts hit the spot: Olivia's Extra Mile Stacking Stuffer (15 minute run on the tread); Rebecca's 20 minute Power Wal
k

January goals:
  • Hydrow: 70K meters
  • Peloton: 100 miles on the bike
  • Running + walking: 100 miles combined
  • Strength: 4 workouts per week
  • Outside: At least 1 outside mile every day. Today's is going to be a big challenge.

Gotta go.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 12:07 PM  
Vantreesta

2 above with real feel -19 here right now. Starting Tue it will be warm in the 30s for a few days. Such weird weather all over.

I thought the start of a new year and clean slate would help but I still can't seem to find the excitement to workout. I had set out a schedule for this month but have dread when I see the long list of short workouts and challenges. I tried revising it yesterday but couldn't get my brain to think differently. I'll try again today. I'm not happy with how my body feels and my eating and digestion have been off for a few months. I worked out Mon, Wed and Fri but most was very easy.

Old 01-10-22, 03:40 PM  
Daphne M

BRRR, Vantreesta. That's so cold! I understand the dread factor too when you see a long list of planned workouts. I lie to myself constantly to get myself started. "Just a one mile walk," "just 10 minutes," "just recovery," "just mobility." Nine out of ten times, I end up surprising myself with a longer workout once I get started. (But not always and that's okay too.)

All - Big waves (to keep up body heat)

Me - Rocky start to the new year with a big heavy snowstorm on Monday, Jan. 3. I was mostly housebound for 5 days, including 2 days without heat. The local roads stayed dicey for days with snow and ice and that nasty overnight pattern of melt/refreeze. Oh and also a 2nd snowfall somewhere in there. I was SO grateful when I got heat back and absolutely euphoric for my decent walk outside over the weekend.

The good part of the snow is that my Hydrow rowing really paid off. I shoveled 10 inches of heavy wet snow off our front walk, driveway and road ALL BY MYSELF! I am woman, hear me roar. It took me 2 hours but my back held up like a champ. (I won't let Norm shovel: he's 75 and has 3 separate health conditions that don't mix with heavy shoveling.)

January goals - I'm behind on some, ahead on others, there's still hope to get caught up. My goals are:
  • 100 run/walk miles; 100 bike miles; 80k rowing meters; 31 outdoor activities; and 4 strength workouts/week.
  • The weather put me behind on my run/walk goals and really behind on my outdoor activity per day goal, but I'm ahead on my goals for bike, strength and rower.

Favorite workouts this past week:
  • Peloton bike - I loved Sam Yo's AC/DC ride. Has anyone else done it? Wonderful. I also loved Christine's Reflection ride of 10/7/21.
  • Hydrow row -Sera Moon's 15 minute World Diabetes Day Row. Straight to the heart, speaking about her dad who died last year from his Type 1 diabetes. It didn't just make me cry, it made me ugly cry. But very loving and uplifting at the same time.
  • Strength -- If you want to fry your legs, go with Rad on Peloton. You're welcome.
  • Run - Wonderful 3-mile run in area with deer, eagles, horses and rolling hills last Saturday. It does not get better than this.
Onward and upward! It's winter, it's not supposed to be easy!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 10:25 PM  
Vantreesta

Today I did day 1 of Kassandra's new yoga and meditation challenge, day 4 of Yoga With Bird and Qi Gong, and PT stuff: hamstrings with Caroline Jordan, plyo calves from Aztec Athletics, bulletproof knees from GuerillaZen, and piriformis with Helen Clare. I ran out of time for the main workout!

Old 01-11-22, 07:54 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: Sounds like you really got going yesterday! Do you happen to remember the yoga for shoulders you recommended to me a long time ago. It was a female instructor, and you said the shoulder work was good. I think it was about 10 minutes on a DVD you have, and then I looked up, and I could download just that part from her website. I wrote it down, but of course I can’t find it.

Daphne: You Shovel Max beast! That snow was so heavy. Our power was only out about 6 hours—I guess we were really lucky. I’m sorry yours was out so long. I’m glad schools closed all week, which is the opposite of how I used to feel about it, that’s for sure! Meg needed another week of winter break after being sick for most of the original break. Although now they have to rush to finish everything before the end of the semester, so she’s a bit overwhelmed.

I did do Sam’s AC/DC ride. I was so excited for it that I rearranged my schedule the day it was released and rode it live. I rarely get to do live rides, but that was worth it. His energy in it is off the charts. It and his Bon Jovi rides are instant classics.

Me: I did all my workouts last week and so far this week. I haven’t run in a long time, but between the snow on the ground and the germs in the gym, that’s ok. I only have running once a week on this schedule, but I put an option for a long bike ride instead so I don’t feel bad when running just won’t work.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 08:05 AM  
Vantreesta

Daphne, it takes me an hour to shovel just the driveway and sidewalks when there's less than 6"! Granted I shovel like a 6 year old, some here, some there...

Alison, it was probably Jill Miller' Yoga Tune Up Quick Fix. I love both the upper and lower body series but have definitely used the lower body the most.

Pratima, hope things are going well with you!