Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-21, 03:45 PM  
rhbrand

Workout ADD strikes again

Oh my workout ADD has made it hard to A: pick workouts to do and B: finish any and all rotations that I've attempted LOL.

Oh, I have done a few weeks of say STS or P90X back in the day, but I either get sick of looking(or hearing) Tony or I just get tired of the workouts.

But I swear 2020 made it even worse than it was. I can't seem to stick with anything more than a week, maybe 2.

Time to make a nice generic rotation something like 1 Firm, 1 Cathe, 1 spin class and 1 whatever I want and just do that for a while.

I always admire all you who can say "I'm doing STS" and complete it. I envy you
Old 01-17-21, 04:34 PM  
Fitstick

There is nothing wrong with being rotation adverse, I am the same way! As soon as I print out a rotation, I start to get claustrophobic! Lol!

What matters is that you keep moving and just mix it up. I go from step to strength to kickbox to bootcamp etc and I love to rotate instructors. As long as I am working out and taking care of my health, that’s all that really matters.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 04:41 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Although I workout pretty much every day, I don’t do well with set rotations. I like variety and usually string a few shorter workouts together.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 04:59 PM  
kat999

Right now I have a complex rotation going due to this very problem. I just float between doing the FIRM, Jari Love, Jane Fonda, Jillian Michaels, Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett, and the few yoga videos I have, and I made myself a little list where I rotate the type of workout for the day and then have some add-ons from 10 Minute Solution and the FIRM's 5-Day Abs videos. I have so many FIRM DVDs that I literally do them in chronological order and have them set up that way in a big dresser. I want to discourage myself from overthinking what I feel like doing, so I've been sticking to this "anti-rotation" for about three months now, and I like it. I also go through month-long mini rotations, like just Jari Love, just pink FIRMs, just BeMax, etc., but I NEED variety, and I think my body responds better to muscle confusion.

I tried to do FIRM Express as prescribed back when it first came out, and I got soooooo bored. So I feel ya. I think if I ever did P90X or similar I'd do it as prescribed once through and then just break the workouts up and put them in my anti-rotation. That's how I currently treat FIRM Express and it has much less dread factor as a result.
Old 01-17-21, 05:00 PM  
donnamp

I used to be better about following rotations, but lately, I just prefer to have a loose plan to follow and fit in what I want to/ need to.

Right now I am managing to stick to Pahla B's 31 Day Plan - but that is unusual for me!

In 2020 I think I only did two rotations - CS Health Challenge and Jessica Smith's Calm & Strong....

I think as long as you are moving that is good and sometimes you need a strict plan and other times you don't...

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 05:25 PM  
Kitten

It depends. I really love rotations, it takes the guesswork out for me.

After I finish a rotation I'll do a loose rotation of my own making. Like alternating strength and aerobics for 6 days and doing a long stretch on day 7. Or one day upper, one day lower, aerobics, abs/core, stretch, total body, freebie day( whatever I feel up to).

I finished off 2020 with a loose Beast rotation (followed the calendar, but substituted other similar workouts on occasion) and am currently doing Pahla B's 31 day weight loss challenge.

Pahla's workouts aren't my usual cup of tea (and she is a talker) but I am thoroughly enjoying her more laid back approach to exercise.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 06:55 PM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
What matters is that you keep moving and just mix it up.
I do 50 PushUps, 50 Squats and 100 SitUps every day now.
I have over 100 DVDs. My mindframe changed. Always move!
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 11:22 AM  
laurajhawk

As others have said, I like the no-decisions aspect of a rotation, but I get restless. I usually have 2-4 rotations going at once, doing a week to three weeks of one, then switching to another, then circling back and picking up where I left off.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 11:36 AM  
warriorprincess

STS is the only rotation I've every done. But I used to do a single 60ish minute workout due to the nature of VHS and DVDs. Now I tend to do 20 minutes of this, and 10 minutes of that, and 30 minutes of another thing. The preponderance of shorter youtube and streaming workouts has definitely changed how I work out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 12:09 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I can't stick to rotations at all. Zero patience for doing the same program through the week. Sigh.

To make it easier for myself, now I just either go by a different instructor or different type of workout for each day of the week. So Mondays are Leslie, Tuesdays are Tracie Long, Wednesday kickboxing, Thurs Cathe Live, Friday Fusion, Saturday KCM or just walking. Or Mondays metabolic, Tuesday total body circuit, Wednesday higher intensity/lower time cardio, Thursday full body weights, Friday fusion/stretching, Sat/Sun walking/biking/household stuff. I've kept to those two schedules for the past few months and I find it easier to plan and get everything in during the week but not overdo it neither.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workout add