Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-19, 04:56 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I Had a Mini-stroke a few days ago!

Last Thursday morning, I started feeling kinda tingly all over. I went downstairs to my workout area and did Cathe Live Senior Fit 2 for about 35 minutes but then felt really badly so I stopped and went back upstairs. I sat next to my husband and he realized I wasn’t doing so well. He said, “You’re having a stroke so get ready – I’m taking you to Emergency”. He had to tell them what was going on. Very quickly, they did a CT scan and gave me some TPA – the medication that helps with the kind of stroke I was having. They were asking me all kinds of simple questions and having me do some physical things (“squeeze my fingers”). I didn’t do very well. They put me in the ICU for the night and asked those simple questions and had me do the physical tests about every half hour and then every hour. By morning, I was doing fine on all the tests. The next morning, they did an MRI on me. A physical therapist, an occupational therapist and a speech therapist all came in to see me. I told the PT and OT that I worked out every morning so they watched me and, by that time, I was doing fine so they didn’t even stay. The speech therapist still gave me all her tests, but I did fine on all of them.

Early the next morning, the Neurologist on my case came in and told me that the MRI showed I didn’t have a full-blown stroke so I asked if it was a mini-stroke and she said it could have been. She told me to start taking 81 gm aspirin every day. Another doctor told me later I should increase my statin from 10 gm to 40 gm. I went home that afternoon. I’ve been a bit dizzy since I’ve been home (only had bad balance before) and am going to see my GP on Friday.

This was really scary for me! I wanted to let everyone know about it because I consider myself pretty healthy (exercise, eat well, never smoked, and drank very little when I was much younger) and yet I had a mini-stroke. My mother had a very debilitating stroke when she was 89 (I’m almost 70) so I assume it was hereditary. I want to warn everyone to be careful and don’t assume it won’t happen to you. I have no idea why the stroke suddenly came on but I’m sure glad my husband recognized what it was. He probably saved my life.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 05:00 PM  
pgun3

Glad you are doing ok Karen!!! Getting older is kinda scary...I worry all the time about things I wouldn't think twice about before.

What were your symptoms that made you husband so sure you were having a stroke?
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 05:03 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
Glad you are doing ok Karen!!! Getting older is kinda scary...I worry all the time about things I wouldn't think twice about before.

What were your symptoms that made you husband so sure you were having a stroke?
Probably my confusion and inability to speak very well. I'm not sure if I had drooping on one side. I don't think so - he hasn't mentioned that.

Old 10-02-19, 05:10 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Oh no, Karen! How scary. I'm glad you're better and that your husband was there with you and had acted fast. Very sobering. Take care of yourself.
Old 10-02-19, 05:20 PM  
sherry7899

I am.so glad you are okay! I am so sorry you are going through this. Thank you for posting. Please take care and rest.

Hugs!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 05:21 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Symptoms of a mini-stroke can include a sudden appearance of: Confusion. Trouble speaking or understanding speech. Difficulty seeing in one or both eyes, such as double vision, blurred vision, or blindness. Trouble walking or dizziness. Loss of balance or coordination. Severe headache with no known cause.

Old 10-02-19, 05:37 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Wow Karen, how scary! I am so glad you are okay, thanks goodness your DH was there with you, please take care!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 05:58 PM  
LAC

I am so glad you are doing well. I hope the dizziness clears up soon. It is great that your husband recognized what was happening and helped you get immediate treatment.

Just in case it might assist someone else, I want to mention that although strokes are perceived as happening to "old" people, they can happen at any age. I know two people who were in their 40s when they suffered debilitating and life-altering strokes. So if you see someone with FAST warning signs, make them get checked out immediately. FAST = Face drooping, Arm weakness, Speech issues, Time to call 911.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 06:05 PM  
weener
VF Supporter

that is scary - my SO mother had a stroke - she lived about an hour away. He called her every night and one night she kept saying, Peter, I'm OK. OK Peter, I'm OK. I told him he needed to call 911 because she was having a stroke. The operator was on the phone the whole time. Then talked to the emt people. They took her to the hospital and she needed speech therapy. She was 87 at the time.

I'm glad you are OK - good warning for all of us.

~~~~~~~~~
I grew up as teener weener. It got shorten to weener when a nephew was learning to talk and he just called me weener.

www.flickr.com/photos/32418450@N05/
weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 06:12 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

So glad you’re okay Karen, how scary for you and your DH!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f.a.s.t., stroke