Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-18, 08:58 PM  
Erica H.

Carpal Tunnel Surgery Recovery

I am going to have carpal tunnel surgery on both hands soon. If anyone has had the surgery, can you share what recovery was like as far as getting back to workouts (lifting, kickboxing, hitting a heavy bag, running, spinning)?

I had major abdominal surgery in June and just got back to the weights I was using prior to surgery. I am so upset that I will have to start all over again.

TIA!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 09:20 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I don't have any input but sending you good vibes on your surgery. Feel better soon!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 10:42 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery a few years ago and it was at least a couple of months before I lifted anything over about 5 pounds. I don't use a heavy bag but I would think that kind of impact on your hands should wait 2-3 months. Running, spinning, kickboxing should be OK as soon as your wounds are healed; for spinning you might want to minimize handlebar use.

I went back to work as a hospital nurse two weeks after my surgery, once the wounds were healed, but my hands were still quite sore and tender. I'll never forgot one colleague who joking said "OK, you're back, but how soon till you can do CPR?" I DEFINITELY could not have done chest compressions then.

I don't think your recovery will be as long as after your abdominal surgery.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 11:03 PM  
sherry7899

Erica, I do not have any advice, but I wanted to send you hugs.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 12:33 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Hugs and wishes for a speedy recovery!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 12:42 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I am so sorry, Erica!

I had someone in my Essentrics class that recovered post op with me. She wished she had found Essentrics before she went through with surgery.

Those finger and hand exercises are effective. Something to consider.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 01:48 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Not to contradict any advice given on this thread, but I pursued non-surgical interventions for YEARS before the painful numbness repeatedly woke me at night and stole my hand strength to where I couldn't perform simple tasks.

Some people are helped by PT and exercises. I did conventional PT. Yoga. Chiropractic. CS and Essentrics. Bracing. Acupuncture. Massage. No relief. I believe that is a familial anatomical trait as my mom and sister also both had it starting in their forties. Surgery helped me to relieve 100% of my symptoms.

I truly wished I had opted for surgery years before I did, I would have saved money and a lot of pain. But I tried. You take your own path. Surgery is not failure.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 06:38 AM  
Erica H.

Thank you everyone! I've struggled with CT since I was pregnant with my youngest, who is now over 16. It's only gotten worse and I am afraid of nerve damage if I wait any longer. I can't sleep at all and have a lot of pain/numbness. I have a consult with the surgeon tomorrow.

Jackie, I will look for the exercises, though, and see if I get any relief.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 09:34 AM  
Cookie
VF Supporter

Much love and hugs. I need to find those finger and hand exercises immediately! Thanks for the tip.

Never regret anything that made you smile!
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 10:11 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Not to contradict any advice given on this thread, but I pursued non-surgical interventions for YEARS before the painful numbness repeatedly woke me at night and stole my hand strength to where I couldn't perform simple tasks.

Some people are helped by PT and exercises. I did conventional PT. Yoga. Chiropractic. CS and Essentrics. Bracing. Acupuncture. Massage. No relief. I believe that is a familial anatomical trait as my mom and sister also both had it starting in their forties. Surgery helped me to relieve 100% of my symptoms.

I truly wished I had opted for surgery years before I did, I would have saved money and a lot of pain. But I tried. You take your own path. Surgery is not failure.
That sounds like it was miserable. Totally agree....surgery is not a failure. I'm glad you got relief.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote